can physio make things worse????????

daylily
daylily Member Posts: 619
edited 2. May 2011, 18:14 in Living with Arthritis archive
I was just wondering if anyone else has ever felt worse after physio.
Went for my 1st appointment for cervical spondylosis physio yesterday.
Very nice lady pulled and pushed, said I have very good range of movement and gave me some exercises to do at home.
I went to mop the bathroom floor after hubby (another story, he has dementia) and something snapped between my shoulder blades, now I can hardly move my head. Range of movement has halved.
I'm in a lot of pain, have a wheatbag wrapped around my neck.
Phoned the physio and she said keep moving but don't do too much.
Is it normal to feel worse before it gets better????

Comments

• skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Daylilly,

I am sorry they have upset your neck... I have to say i found the same and stopped going especially as they wouldn't have it they were making it worse back then.

Put me off physio for a very long time but the gentle stretching etc is a good idea if you can do it.

The thing is that what you have there could be more than a few things so if there is not real improvement in a couple of days you probably should see the gp flower.

It often does get worse before it gets better but for me the neck and physio was a no no.... till the acupuncture that is. Hang in there and hope you soon have a whole lot less pain. Cris x
  • caterina57
    caterina57 Member Posts: 1,424
    Earlier in the year I went for a physio appt (I have cervical and lumber spondylosis) Mainly to address my lower back pain and problems. At the assessment after looking at my Xrays I was told I could not have physio as it could compromise my spinal cord and was referred for hydrotherapy instead. So in answer to your question it seems that yes, physio can make things worse!
    Cath
  • daylily
    Thanks cris and cath,

I have to say I'm not impressed so far.
    Think I might leave any more physio until I've seen the orthopod in May for my failed hip re-surface.
    Pain better this morning but still not much movement in my neck.
    Take care and thanks again.
    xx
  • seamonkey
    seamonkey Member Posts: 323
    Hi daylilly,
    I hope that your neck is getting better today. I also went for physio who pulled and pushed me, i was in agony after each session. During this time i got seriously worse and I and Doc blame physio for my prolapsed disc in spine trapping nerve which needed an Op. Needless to say they said they hadnt better try physio again. It must however help some people or there wouldnt be any physios. See how you get on but dont over do it. I hope the next session goes with out a hitch.
    take care,
    seamonkey
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    When I was 1st diagnosed with Osteo-porsis I was sent to a Physio and by the second exercise she tried to get me to do my right knee was spasming and I was in alot of pain. The physio stopped me and said we shouldn't carry on and I think it would be better for you not to do Physio anymore. So I stopped and it did help 100% not doing any physio. I do some exercises that I feel I can do and prefer to do them! :smile:
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi Daylilly

l am sorry you are suffering now :sad:

Do take it easy wont you for a bit.

There are other things they can do such as heat therapy or even acupuncture which might be less harsh for you?

Sometimes though with my cervical spond - if it's going to 'go' it will and it might not even be the physio.

Rest if you can and take your meds and use your wheaty.

Love and hugs

Toni xx
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,899
    Hi Daylilly.
    i'm sorry you have pain.i hope it slows down soon.
    i have pain in my lumber and in my hips i was sent to physio and i was given exersizes i did as i was told and i did them twice a day for 6 weeks and went back and they did not help at all i ached more.
    take care joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • madwestie
    madwestie Member Posts: 383
    Daylilly, I had physio on my hip (i have ra, a label tear and bursitis) i did the exercise class for 6 weeks walking out worse than i went in each time and at the end the physio said i think it is making you worse so stop doing it. She did say the hydrotherapy would be good for me but we don't have a pool..
    the second time i saw the same physio she gave me crutches for the hip.
    although i do know someone who had broken her ankle and needed pins in it had physio and it really helped so i think it depends on what the problem is and what sort of physio.
    my hubby tore his calf muscles and saw a physio who was very hands on and helped him a lot.
    I hope you neck is feeling better soon.

Tracey
  • TJC
    TJC Member Posts: 3
    I can only go by my own experience and that of my mothers who is also a sufferer. When I was first diagnosed 15 years ago I spent about 6 months going to the local hospital who ran a support group for AS. Gentle exercise isn't a bad thing and hydrotherapy helps immensly, but to be honest, once you have an exercise sheet to suit your condition then as well as swimming that is pretty much all you need unless your condition worsens. I consider myself fortunate in only having some paralysis in my leg following neuro surgery to correct my spine and seem to cope ok living with the Psoriatic arthritis, AS and Fibromyalgia. Working full time albeit from home some of the week helps me work around the disease without feeling a burden and allows me to cut down on the medication. Post op physio is an entirely different matter and for me the physio treatment I received was detrimental as it opened up the wound, much to the annoyance of the surgeon who then had to deal with an infection :roll:
  • carola
    carola Member Posts: 786
    Sorry to hear of the pain.

Just a quickie to say that I find a cold pack helps me more than a heat pack when dealing with a pain after poking and prodding.

Cold packs are recommended by chiropractors for injuries to reduce imflamation so I tried a cold pack and felt much better.

I find heat packs just give me comfort rather than relief.

Just a thought.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I think it all comes down to one thing: the skill of the phsyio. There are good ones, bad ones and indifferent ones. If you are lucky and find yourself under the hands of a good one it can be helpful, but if its one of the other sorts further mischief can be caused. Listen to your body, give as much feedback to the physio as you can, and don't do anything that you feel is aggravating your situation. It is a difficult tightrope we all walk and sometimes a wobble or two is necessary to sharpen our focus. I wish you well and I hope things have eased. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Hi Anne,
    I am sorry I have no experiences to give you but I just wanted to say hello and it’s nice to hear from you.
    I hope things are going reasonably well for you at the moment. Have you managed to get your Sunday afternoons off still?
    Lv, Ix
  • daylily
    ironic wrote:
    Hi Anne,
    I am sorry I have no experiences to give you but I just wanted to say hello and it’s nice to hear from you.
    I hope things are going reasonably well for you at the moment. Have you managed to get your Sunday afternoons off still?
    Lv, Ix
    Hello, how nice of you to remember me.
    Had to cancel the Sundays, costing me nearly £30 for 3 hours. It was petrol money for taking us out- we live in a little village middle of nowhere so everywhere is a long way. Things not too bad- moving into sheltered accomodation when there is a vacancy. Quite looking forward to the company to tell you the truth- hubby doesn't do talking as in conversations, it's not so much the memory it's the not following conversations, we end up repeating things all the time.
    Been clearing cupboards out. How do we gather so much junk????
    take care xx
  • ironic
    I am disappointed that they are charging so much for a few hours of respite; that is wrong on every level. :sad:
    That is good news about the sheltered accommodation; will you have a choice when the time comes? It will make a big difference to you both. Oh I do hope it will mean some ‘me’ time just for you. Fingers crossed for you.
    Typical of you to be clearing cupboards out when you should be putting your feet up!! :lol: I expect you are having a clear out before the big move though. A cuppa and a bit of a rest sometime today please Anne. OK.
    Gentle hugs for you and I do hope your neck has eased off a little for you.
    Lv, Ix
  • daylily
    hello Ix,

The flat I've said I'll wait for is a 2 bed. (The last one went the week I viewed it) The whole place is brand new and set in woodlands. Front room has half of one wall floor to ceiling glass with a little balcony, decent kitchen and really big wet room. (That'll save me sitting on the floor to wash hubby's lower half!!!!)
    3 course meal available at lunchtime if we want, think that's £40 a week for both of us, but we wouldn't need much else to eat.
    Hobby room, sitting rooms (3), launderette, hairdressers and 24 hour care available- has to be paid for of course but it's there if you need it.
    I'm hoping to be able to go on coach trips to garden festivals again if there is someone to see to hubby. After 4 years of doing the caring on my own it will be fabulous!!!!!
    Hubby doesn't want to move but I am assured that is 'normal' for someone with dementia, if I can keep our stuff roughly in the same positions as now he should be OK.
    Take care.
    xx
  • ironic
    Hi Daylily,
    Oh it sounds ideal for you. I have heard that they are very good as you have your own front door but can join in or not depending how you feel. Two bedrooms is a good size and the full window will let in the lovely sunlight. I like the sound of being in woodland, all the wildlife you both can sit and watch. Oh I do hope you don’t have to wait too long before you get one.
    It will be reassuring to have help on hand if needed too. I am excited for you. :grin:
    Love from, I