Exercise - Newly Diagnosed

goonerkatie
goonerkatie Member Posts: 16
edited 29. Apr 2011, 12:00 in Living with Arthritis archive
I had a chat with my Rheumotologist yesterday after my dx about exercise. Has anyone done anything that really works..on the verge of signing up to gym :-) Swimming and treadmill he has recommended. I have been diagnosed with Chronic Atrophic Arthritis

Thank you so much

Katie XXXX

Comments

• tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi agan Katie

I think that exercise can be a good thing so long as you have advice and guidance in terms of what is appropriate for your joints. Swimming I think is good because it helps with mobility without putting pressure on the joints. I know that with RA (which is what I have) the idea is to strengthen the muscles which can then help to support the joints but I'm not quite sure about your sort of arthritis though.

I'm sure others will be along soon with advice.

Good luck!

Love Tillyxx
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    Hiya Katie

Ive got a form of arthritis too called osteochondritis dissecans....Its of the knee and i need a new one (knee)...
    I do swim once a week in a hydrotherapy pool which is excellent for a number of illnessess/people with mobility/recovering from operations or conditions.....I am also going to our local leisure centre for a free trial to see what I can and cant do with regards to exercise....I am pretty restircted to what can do as cannot bend knee at all....

Good luck...

Elainex
    I had a chat with my Rheumotologist yesterday after my dx about exercise. Has anyone done anything that really works..on the verge of signing up to gym :-) Swimming and treadmill he has recommended. I have been diagnosed with Chronic Atrophic Arthritis

Thank you so much

Katie XXXX
  • TJC
    TJC Member Posts: 3
    My dear wife treats with with Esporta membership. I use the treadmill (when I'm able racing along at 2.6km/hr) and the ex bike (when I'm not suffering with Coccydynia). I also swim at least twice a week and relax afterwards in the Jacuzzi, sauna and steam room. There has to be some pleasure from the pain :wink: I tried Aqua aerobics but kept falling over :lol:
  • gizmobabe
    gizmobabe Member Posts: 24
    I have been diagnosed with non specific inflammatory arthrits. I was fairly active before hand, but the only thing I am restricted in is Running and lunges and depending on how bad I am I struggle with bicep curls occasionally (have it in one elbow and wrist as well as 1 knee) but I push myself to do these as it's one of the range of movement excerices I have been told to do, but when bad i drop the weight to 1kg.

I have a personal trainer for few weeks to make sure I am not doing things that will damage my joints.

but as previous poster has said swimming is very good as there is no stress on your joints, I do aqua aerobics too.
    xxx
  • border
    border Member Posts: 94
    I also do aqua but alternate it with walking the dog (admittedly not very far). It gives his nose some excercise and I get a breath of fresh air. Also have an exercise DVD which goes on occasionally. The motto is, 'if you don't use it, you lose it'
  • keith1971
    keith1971 Member Posts: 302
    I like walking in the park & also do some light weight training, like someone else said, doing full range of movement exercises.

Use it or lose it!

x
    315yexv.jpg
  • seamonkey
    seamonkey Member Posts: 323
    I have recently got a treadmill after speaking to GP about it. I try and go on every day and can manage 20 mins at a mere 1.8 km an hr. Very slow. After wards my legs are soooo sore. But i have chosen to carry on and hope that it improves.
    Good luck with your exercise.
    seamonkey