Elna's three toes 4 weeks post op

elnafinn
elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
edited 30. Apr 2011, 09:52 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have been to see the consultant today and had the long pin removed from my second toe. I brought it home as a souvenir, well it was in my toe for 4 weeks. :lol: I am allowed to wash the foot now! About time! The foot is very swollen and especially the second toe but as the surgeon said, 5 little ops have been performed on it. I now have to exercise the big toe by moving it up and down with my fingers and with the second toe he wants me to press down on the toe, where it meets the foot with both thumbs about 40 - 60 times a day. He said I could start to wear sensible sandals but at the moment the foot is far, far too swollen and the second toe also, to wear anything I have in the shoe cupboard, other than the "boot" provided after surgery. I see the surgeon again in two weeks and the foot will be x-rayed again. I did elevate the foot and apply ice to it this afternoon and that made some of the redness/inflammation go but as soon as I walked on the foot the redness returned.

So that is little ole me up to date on the foot saga, for anyone who may be interested :grin:

I am looking forward to tomorrow partying with family :grin:

Luv
Elna x
The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.

Comments

• madwestie
    madwestie Member Posts: 383
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Elna,
    It's good news that your toes are doing well.
    Are you going to dress up you boot for the party tomorrow?
    perhaps red white and blue ribbons

i hope you have a lovely time at the party
    Tracey
  • tiggernut
    tiggernut Member Posts: 339
    Great news Elna, glad to hear it's going well.Enjoy the party no dancing mind!! :grin:
    Anita
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Hi Elna

Good to see you, I bet you are glad to have that pin removed but sorry there is still alot of swelling there. Guess it does take a while for poorly toes to heal since you have to do a bit of getting about however hard you try not to overdo it. Well done hope each day gets a little easier.

Jeepers Elna I read your last comment a bit quick and thought maybe you an an invite there and was on the guest list! :grin: Is there something you are not telling us :lol: Enjoy the day, hope lola is dressing up in a princess outfit, I will be glued to the telly waving me flag and wishing them well.

take care, ((( )))
    love
    Chris
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Elna,

Glad its been taken out... and you kept it.... i really didnt';y want mine at all :lol:

This redness and swelling... its still early days you know and your foot has been traumatised and well mine always have done what yours is doing after every op and all you can do id really elivate it, higher than you hip is where it should be if you can.

I think its just going to take a bit of time but it will get there and just go easy and it should sort out. Leaving a (((( )))) and a hope. Cris xx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hi Elna
    I was going to drag your thread to the top, if you didnt come on soon to let us know how you are.
    Im so glad you have had the pin out, hopefully the swelling will go down very soon, especially with the ice .
    You enjoy your day today,is the party for the coming out of the pin...or the royal wedding.. :lol:
    You take care of yourself
    Love
    Barbara xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • fudge
    fudge Member Posts: 78
    Hello Elna, so pleased to hear the pin is out and you are well on the way of the road to recovery - hope this works as well for you as the injection you had for sciatica - you can look forward to comfortable walks in the summer.

What are you going to do with that 'pin ' :lol: - perhaps have it made into a small bow - with a pin added to make a little broach - twud be very small I know - a little conversation piece :wink:

Glad you are doing so well Elna.

......fudge......
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Hello Elna

So pleased things you are making progress Elna - not sure about the "pin as souvenir" thing though! :shock:

Love Tilly xxx
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    You haven't mentioned if the pin removal hurt after all! Anyway I am pleased your foot is doing well.I'm not sure what you can do if no shoes fit you-thick wooly socks perhaps?

E x
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Hi Elna,

Good to hear how you're progressing.

I glad you kept your pin ...............I kept my staples after my TKRs, why, I have no idea but I've still got them :lol:

Hope you enjoyed your partying.
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Hi Elna,
    Good news that you have had the pin out, but after all that surgery it will take time to heal. Sorry you still have to wear the wonderful boot for a while yet.
    Make sure you rest and not too much baking. :lol: Now where is that ironing..... :wink:

Lv, Ix
  • elnafinn
    edited 30. Apr 2011, 09:29
    tiggernut wrote:
    Great news Elna, glad to hear it's going well.Enjoy the party no dancing mind!! :grin:
    Anita

Hi Anita and Tracey

Thank you for your good wishes, I did not decorate the boot, nor danced but thoroughly enjoyed yesterday celebrating with family and some of their friends. I am reliving the day again today and am very happy :) even if I have a swollen foot and no shoes that will fit at present, but I am sure it will turn out ok in the end. Think positive, that is me :grin:

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • elnafinn
    chris7 wrote:
    Hi Elna

Good to see you, I bet you are glad to have that pin removed but sorry there is still alot of swelling there. Guess it does take a while for poorly toes to heal since you have to do a bit of getting about however hard you try not to overdo it. Well done hope each day gets a little easier.

Jeepers Elna I read your last comment a bit quick and thought maybe you an an invite there and was on the guest list! :grin: Is there something you are not telling us :lol: Enjoy the day, hope lola is dressing up in a princess outfit, I will be glued to the telly waving me flag and wishing them well.

take care, ((( )))
    love
    Chris

Dear Chris,

Yes you did read that wrong, no royal invite for me only to my family! :lol: Suited me fine, no need to dress up! :lol: Lola was wearing a princess dress and loved the day too. I thought Kate looked perfect. I hope you are ok. You are right, I do have to get about and that is when the foot and poorly toes do not look too happy but I have no pain, only when I have to do the exercise of pushing the second toe that had the pin in, down with both thumbs. I am not proud, I shall continue to wear the boot on that foot until things calm down. :smile:

Love
    Elna x

• elnafinn
    skezier wrote:
    Hi Elna,

Glad its been taken out... and you kept it.... i really didnt';y want mine at all :lol:

This redness and swelling... its still early days you know and your foot has been traumatised and well mine always have done what yours is doing after every op and all you can do id really elivate it, higher than you hip is where it should be if you can.

I think its just going to take a bit of time but it will get there and just go easy and it should sort out. Leaving a (((( )))) and a hope. Cris xx

Dear Cris

Thank you for your good wishes. Yes, as usual, you are completely right. :smile: I know I should be elevating the foot more and keeping it cool with ice. But you know......... things have to be got done, don't they? :wink: I do not mind wearing the boot until I can wear some other sandal. It is comfortable and sort of protects the toes at the same time, if you know what I mean...... little feet stapping on the foot or dropping something on the foot, by mistake.

I do hope you are having a good day today,

Love and gentle hugs to you
    Elna x

• elnafinn
    delboy wrote:
    Elna 3 toes sounds like a good user name :lol:

Are competing with sloths?

Glad it's all happening for you Elna and no partying to the early hours.

:lol::lol::lol::wink: 8)

Elna x

• elnafinn
    Dear Barbara , Fudge and Tilly

Thank you for your kind words, the partying was for the "wedding" and so good to be able to have a fun, easy, happy day with family and a few of their friends. Good food and champers. I am easily pleased :lol:

I am going to be patient with the said foot and can well understand that it must groan everytime that I stand on it and walk about. I shall continue to wear the boot until such times as my shoes fit again. I am not proud :lol: It also protects the foot and that is good. I have put the wire away now for the time being but I did wish to keep it, it was part of me for 4 weeks. It was much longer than I thought it would be until I saw the xray. I was momentarily shocked but it made sense for it not to be too short!

I hope you are all ok and enjoying the sun.

Love
    Elna x

• elnafinn
    Dear Elizabeth, Linda and Ironic

Many thanks for your kind messages. Why not keep the staples, Linda, like my pin, your staples lived with you for a time, didn't they?

The removal of the pin did not hurt at all. He asked me to close my eyes, which I would have done anyway, I felt a little discomfort for a second, still kept my eyes tightly shut, then the consultant said, you can open your eyes now and presented me with the pin in a see through little bag. :grin: I was most surprised that it was all over. He kindly stuck a plaster on my toe and said he would see me again in 2 weeks and xray the foot again. He did mumble that the foot was rather swollen and inflamed and sent me on my way. :smile:

I hope you are all able to enjoy this good weather,

Love
    Elna x