Is stress a factor?

scozzie
scozzie Member Posts: 333
Hi

I'm awaiting a visit to a rhuemy and have yet to be diagnosed, and I was wondering if stress can cause a flare up of symptoms?

My hands haven't been too bad over the past week, but since yesterday and especially last night they have been very sore. I was wondering if this could be co-incidental or not with the fact I was stressed out at work yesterday?

Scozzie

Comments

• Turbogran
    Turbogran Member Posts: 2,023
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Scozzie
    Stress and getting worked up or too upset always affects my pain and makes it worse sending {{{hugs}}} hope you feel better soon
    Stay positive always👍xx
  • margareth64
    margareth64 Member Posts: 148
    Hi
    Yes stress definately causes it to flare up at least mine does ive OA so I think RA would be the same.
    Margaret
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    I would agree that stress aggravates symptoms.
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • scozzie
    Thanks ladies!

It's amazing what things stress can trigger ... and I have several of them and now I can arthritis... lol.

Scozzie
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,482
    Dear Scozzie,

We just wanted to say hello from us here at Helplines. Everyone did such a brilliant job yesterday, there didn't seem much more to add, except to say do get in touch if you need any information or support over your diagnosis.

all the best

Guy
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,482
    Hi Scozzie
    And i just wanted to add we have a really good booklet you can download - called Coping with Emotions. It has a lot of practical tips to help you cope with stress and stressful times - take a look
    http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/PublicationsandResources/Listedbytype/Booklets
    Cheers
    Penn
  • scozzie
    Thank you Guy and Penn.
    Unfortunately the stress I'm experiencing at the moment is work related, stemming from the fact I've to attend an interview (read possible disciplinary meeting) at work to explain my part in an error that occurred last week; although the stress seems to be affecting my hands somewhat - meaning my finger joints are stiffer and sorer than they have been for a couple of weeks.
    Cheers
    Scozzie