Query chiro and new added pain :(

niecsey
niecsey Member Posts: 75
Hi all, hope lm posting in the right place??? I last posted a few months ago when l was demented at the lack of care l recieve and worsening of symptoms... first week in April l seen an offer to visit a chiropractor and a free muscle scan was chucked in so l thought l would go see if he could pick something up my gp hadnt.... l went to the chiro mid april l was told my neck was in a mess which was a bit of a shock because neck pain was about 3rd on my list of complaints... anyway he told me after looking at heat scan my muscles are working more than 2.5 times what they should be. ( actually 283.09 percent when normal is 100 per cent lol) He examined me and squeezed around the back of my neck into the base of my skull and at one pint my legs went weak with pins and needles! He proceeded to do one treatment on me with the activator... l told him l had tried chiro before and did not like the activator on my neck he did it and said it was the best treatment... afterwards l felt unwell with dizziness and weakness it is now a month since l went and l am still having dizzy spells esp when lying down turning my head esp to left looking up anything which involves moving my neck.. it is very painful
I have taking diclofenac and used ice packs to no avail so l have now stopped the ice which has done nothing for me after been told it would! Can anyone tell me what l should do please? I have fibro and wear and tear to spine and both shoulders and have also lost curve to lower back... l went to the chiro as my symptoms have worsened and wasnt getting anywhere with the gp however this neck problem is not going away :( anyone help please? Thank you x sorry to go on lol

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi there

If it was me, I think I would leave a message asking for this chiro to call me and let him know how I was feeling after the treatment he offered.

If I was displeased with my GP I would try to find another GP that was more sympathetic to my needs.

I do hope that you get some help regarding your discomfort since the chiro appointment and that you find a gp who is more helpful.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • niecsey
    Hi l did let the chiro know a few days afterwards he said it was too be expected!! esp with my history. I told him l wasnt going back. I dont think after 5 weeks he would be interested. x
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,463
    niecsey wrote:
    Hi l did let the chiro know a few days afterwards he said it was too be expected!! esp with my history. I told him l wasnt going back. I dont think after 5 weeks he would be interested. x

Dear Niecsey

Thank you for your posting. I am aware that you are not happy with your GP however it is important that you get these symptoms checked out by a health professional as soon as you can. Are there other GP’s in the practice that you can see instead? The point is that these new symptoms need to be looked at by a doctor who can then give you advice and guidance. Please look at Arthritis Research UK’s booklet on Neck Pain by clicking on the link http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/Files/2024-Neck-pain.pdf, in particular pages 2 & 6 in this booklet talks about symptoms and seeking medical help. I hope this is helpful. You can also call us on the helpline here this afternoon if you would like to talk to one of our helpline team.

Best Wishes
    Dawn
  • niecsey
    Thank you for your reply, lve just found it this evening sorry. I am going to go on Monday if l am still suffering this way. I honestly believe the gps in my surgery see the fibro word and your not taking seriously! Going to have a look at your link thanks for that x Will update here thanks again have a good weekend x
  • niecsey
    Hi again having trouble with the link l just get a blank page :(
  • elnafinn
    I checked for you and I got a blank page initially but if you hang on for a few seconds, the information does appear, well it did for me anyway. :smile:

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • niecsey
    Thank you so much that was very helpful l am so grateful to you. Can you tell me how l find all these leaflets myself please? There very good thanks again will see what lm like Monday l must learn to be more assertive :( x
  • helpline_team
    niecsey wrote:
    Thank you so much that was very helpful l am so grateful to you. Can you tell me how l find all these leaflets myself please? There very good thanks again will see what lm like Monday l must learn to be more assertive :( x

Dear Niecsey

It can be hard to be assertive but it is positive that you are going to get this checked out with your GP on Monday. If you email us your details (this keeps your details confidential) we will be able to send the booklet on neck pain and information on fibromyalgia and osteoarthritis.
    The helpline email address is Helplines@arthritiscare.org.uk. Just let us know when you email us if this is the information you would like to receive, or of course you can call us on the helpline on 0808 800 4050.

Best Wishes
    Dawn
  • niecsey
    Hi Dawn thank you for your help l emailed you thanks. I may be going a bit off topic here but cant think of anywhere else to write this l guess lm just looking for an independent answer..... by the way l havnt bveen to the gp yet as the dizziness seems to of gone although my neck is still stiff and l cant put chin to chest or put my head back without pain... my eye is has started to play up to which brings me to the next chapter.......

Your aware of my complaints. I dont think lve wrote this before BUT for a few years after researching internet/books to learn what was wrong with me l came across ankylosing spondylitis sorry if thats spelt wrong after all this time l should be able to spell it. :) it was during a 'regular' visit for pain relief at a walk in centre a locum doc asked me my symptoms and he said it sounds to me like you have AS but as he was only a locum he couldnt diagnosis this. Next time l seen my gp for pain l mentioned what the locum had said and he shook his head and said no.... end of........ eventually l was allowed yes allowed to see a rheumy who done xrays dexa scan and some blood tests 2 years ago... the xrays showed straightening of the lower spine and wear and tear to the spine and both shoulders. l was diagnosed with fibromyalgia. My problems started years before that waking up early unable to move with sacrilum? pain horrible :( and over time my mid spine started to hurt chest and ribs, at times l feel like my ribs wont expand to take in enough air.. l cannot lie on my back or my stomach with out causing pain to the opposite side. Using my arms is a nightmare as this triggers the chest and mid spone pain off... the cold leaves me in agony. :( and for the last year l have started having right sided neck pain which took me to the chiros big mistake that one lol..... the pain l had prior to the chiro visit was lower right side of neck pain like a bolt been shot into my neck which would come out of the blue and make me whince.. lve felt neck discomfort in the past and more scarily pain I USED to get in the base of skull if l moved wrong ( forst tiem it happened was 14 years ago) it would feel like an enormous elastic pain snapping hard boy did that take things out of me luckily l havnt had this happen for a few years... now stupid me has just realised when lm having lots of pain my left eye plays up and becomes sore and has become not blood shot but bright blood red... now l have/had graves disease so always thought it was this l had thyroid removed.... had thyroid (thyroid removed 4 years ago) checked when this happend a few times in past and levels have been fine???? Im currently l hope coming out of the painful phase of a flare and my eye is getting redder... l also get stomach discomfort this can be gas or feeling like l want food when l dont and lower right hip area pain.. which comes to mind more so... This is the 2nd time this year my eye has done this to this extent both times following a painful flare. It will also flare up during other painful times but niot as bad as it is today... I am convinced now its not thyroid related cos when l have investigated AS l am classic!I have had RA blood tests and they come back normal...... now the hard part goign to the doctor and presenting him with these facts.... and been taking seriously due to the fibro diagnosis which has turned out to be a curse!
  • helpline_team
    Dear Neicesy,

Sorry to hear of all this worry that you are experiencing. We can't go into a lot of medical detail as you probably are aware, so need to signpost you for that side of things.

You are obviously very experienced at managing your pain normally, but this situation is obviously stressful right now. I think it may be clearer if I just focus on how you can manage the uncertainty rather than trying to go technical when I'm not qualified to do that.

So I wonder what works for you when you are needing to keep calm and take a breather? I wonder what support and suggestions have been mentioned by other forum users that ring true for you?

I know that you've emailed us at Helplines email, but only left your email when we will need you to send us your postal address so we can send you some more information in hard copy.

If you want to get a more in-depth consideration of AS then follow this link to NASS's website. http://www.nass.co.uk/

We realise that all this uncertainty can be very difficult to have around in your life, so I hope that you find the messages of support of some help.

take care
    Guy
  • elnafinn
    Hi again Niecsey

I am so sorry to hear that you are going through all this. Medics are known to make mistakes and misdiagnose sometimes and we do not feel we can argue with them too much, do we? I am a little perturbed to hear about your red eye. I have read on the forum that members who have been diagnosed with AS get their eyes checked from time to time as some people can suffer from inflammation of part of the eye, every so often, which I think is called uveitis but do not quote me on that one. I also think it is treated with eye drops. I really think you should mention your eye flareups to a medic if you have not done so already.

I think it is a good idea to look at the NASS website if you have not done so before. They may have a helpline too.

I do hope that soon you are able to receive the help you should be having.

Elna x

• niecsey
    Thanks Elna for the link very helpful x Guy yes l know my limitations but l dont always heed them l get a 'good' day and l catch up with things then pay for it.... as for a breather...? what do you mean by that exactly? I do find the forums helpful havnt made contact with too many others lm more of a browser... but here l have let steam off :). Yes lm frustrated with it all, l wont go into detail cos lve mentioned it all before.. but my past experiences with my gps centre havnt been the best due to the words fibro/thyroid popping up on their pc if only having them things made you immune to everything else eh? I have a good support network at home and l also have friends who suffer from similar condtions. I know theres no cure for athritis etc but just knowing what the hell it is lm up against would be 3/4 of the battle! Im the expert of my own body nobody knows my body like me! Will get there in the end! Its good theres places like this board to let of steam and see your not the only one grateful for that x
  • elnafinn
    Hi Niecsey

:lol: Here I am again, turning up like a bad penny. :roll: :wink:

I totally agree, we all know our own body more than anyone else, it is just getting through to those medics, isn't it? We know what we know, but need the medics help very much too, if they will listen. I do hope that you get some help soon, as I have said before.

When we have a good day, it is very difficult not to steam on ahead and do what we wish to do, isn't it? Sometimes I say to myself, well if I suffer tomorrow, at least I have enjoyed today. It is good to hear that you have a good network of family and friends. That does make a difference. Some people do not have that. So you are blessed there. :smile:

Look after yourself,

Elna x

• niecsey
    Thank you Ella x l dont have lots of hands on friends just a few close friends.. l dont socialize alot these days you know the score sigh :( Ive just had a browse and theres lots of us frustrated Athurs about! Read quite a few in similar positions some with really horrible diseases too been left in limbo its so wrong, what happened to a good bedside manner>? Its like they cannot be bothered ... dont they realise a bit understanding goes a long way? If they walked in our shoes maybe they would buck their ideas up eh? :) And your not a bad penny hun x your lovely x
  • niecsey
    Just a little update woke up in pain at daft oclock got ready and went to docs for it opening... explained briefly spine pain which has now reached neck, chiro visit and the problems since and my eye, locum doc. She said eye wont be bothered from my pain! Yea rite just left it got some pain killers and have to ring for physio she did however tell me to go back if it continues. Not very good today so will go off. Its my athritis course today need to pull myself together before l go take care all x
  • elnafinn
    Hi Niecsey

Oh dear not a good start to the day at all for you and I am sorry.All you can do, if you have the strength, is to keep going back to the gp. This one has actually said to return if nothing changes. If we do not "pester" the medics they will not knock on our door. One exception,though, my 90 year old uncle told me recently that his gp knocked on the door unannounced as he was passing. How good is that? It is a pity that nowadays you rarely hear of a gp going out of their way to look in on a patient of theirs on the spur of the moment.

Was it this locum's suggestion for you to see a physiotherapist? Perhaps, at your appointment, you could chat to them about your pain, worries and fears.

How was the arthritis course? I hope your day has improved.

Hugs
    Elna x

• niecsey
    Hi Elna x hope your good? Course went good l actually look forward to going and despite been bad today l went :) although l was abit spaced out on pain killers and ready for a sleep lol.

Hey thats a good doctor eh? Has he been his doc along time? Maybe hes old school? Still nice thing to do :)

Yea it was locums idea to see physio been rin ging but no answer lol dont knwo how long list ius etc had physio in past but never on my neck! Boy it was so sore this morning it felt like a truck had hit side of my neck! Moral of the story DO NOT USE A CHIRO unless you know exactly what is wrong with you! THEY dont have xray vision!!! Thanks for the reply you take care x
  • elnafinn
    Hi Niecsey

Yes, I believe my uncle has been with his gp a long time and he has been in and out of hospital and I think that the gp must be old school, knows that my uncle lives alone, keeps a beady eye on him and his extremely good neighbours, one side in particular, who pop in two to three times a day, take him to appointments and do his shopping etc, that enables him to stay in his bungalow. There are some good people around who do over and above that which is asked of them, including his gp.

I do hope that you do not feel so fragile today and that you had a better day. It is good to hear that you enjoy the course, even when not feeling too good in yourself,

Look after yourself,

Elna x {{hugs}}

• niecsey
    Thank you Elna x hope your ok today? Not too bad today was spaced out on codeine last night yack meds affect me very strongly l had to change the codiene to co codomol a few months ago and co codomol still does this to me lol. I dont take strong pain killers often at all due to the effects and some times l put up with alot of pain which is stupid of me really. Having a 5/10 day today been shopping hubby comes so not too bad for me and tonight going to get off the pc before l make the pain l have worse and watch tv.... one time l would of been out lol dont drink these days feel rough enough with out drink on top! Hope you have a good weekend and thanks for everything x
  • elnafinn
    Hi Niecsey, :smile:

5/10 is passable, could have been worse, good hubby accompanied you today, shopping. :smile: You enjoy your TV and relaxing time, it is good to be in touch,

Look after each other,

{{{hugs}}}
    Elna x

• niecsey
    Hi :) sorry havnt been here for a while :( but just thought l would update... l eventually got a physio appnt, today and guess what? SHE THINKS I HAVE ANKOLOYSING SPONDILITIS!!!! sorry if lve spelt it wrong :)...... AT last lm getting somewhere... shes writing to my doc for some tests to be done l couldnt believe it when she mentioned it, lve suspected this a long time now.... anyway just a brief note will be back hope everyone is painfree as possible x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    If you repost this on LWA I suspect you will get more replies. This forum tends to be reserved for the helpline, LWA is where everyone joins in. There are quite a few about with AS, I am sure they will be able to help with any questions you might have.
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • helpline_team
    Dear Niecsey,

If you'd like an information pack about AS then just Private Message us your postal address and we'll send you that. If you'd like to talk to us about this news, you are very welcome to get in touch - by phone, on here, whatever you'd prefer.

In terms of support, as well as all our forums, the specialist organisation http://www.nass.co.uk/ is well worth knowing about.

I hope that is helpful

Guy
  • helpline_team
    Another point that you might be interested to know is that treatments for AS are developing - a new biologic drug, Golilizumab just got it's NICE approval for treating AS for patients who pass the criteria for biologic treatment.

I hope that's helpful

Guy
  • niecsey
    Thank you all so much will take note to post etc and offers of help thank you x