Occupational health

jayneys
jayneys Member Posts: 122
Hi been of work for the last four weeks ,my OA been very bad ,tramadol ,difenic ,makeing me very ill ,now slowley putting me onto OXynorm,cutting out tramadol.JUst starting to feel abit better,but still feel ill.Dr been giving me Dr notes ,and suporting me . Out of the blue had a phone call from my top boss ,not my boss from work.She was very nice ,but told me i would be getting an a app to see Occ health.I have worked at a school feeding children at school for last seven years ,and in all that time only had two weeks of.The work is very hard ,and iam struggling even when not to ill.Dont know what wii happen next. All THE BEST JAYNE

Comments

• speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Jayne,

I can only speak for myself, but I have found occy health helpful. The Dr I saw was supportive and interested. She saw me several times after my hip op and has written to my boss about my OA on and how it affects me and how adaptions at work can help.

Referring people to occy health will be their policy and not personal. The occy health doc should have been sent your previous sickness record and be able to see that your attendance at work has been examplary up until now.

I was some given some good advice on here by Dorcas re contacting the disability person at jobcentre plus. I had an access to work assessment and had some equipment through the scheme.

You say you feed children, which makes me think you work in a special school? Do you have to lift children and change them too? What aspects at work are you finding particularly physically challenging? Access to work might be able to suggest equipment to help.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • traluvie
    traluvie Member Posts: 2,579
    Hi Jayne..

I was reffered to occy health.. it is a formality ..
    My occy health nurse was very supportive and was only interested in my well being not rushing me back to work before i was ready,,
    Just be honest in how you are feeling and explain how it affects you at home so she can see if you can manage at work..
    Wish you well..
    th_tn_TisFORTIGGER.jpgxxTracyxx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Oh dear, Jayne, I bet that feels scary but I don't think it's meant to be an intimidating thing. I expect they will want to find out what they can do to help you but you need to be honest, no matter how difficult that is, about how the OA is affecting you, they need to know the truth.

You say that the work is already very difficult and given its physical nature I suspect there is not a lot they can do to ease that. What do you do - dish up, clear up, wash up, that sort of thing? I can imagine a lot of standing is involved, perhaps a fair bit of walking round - heavy pots and pans and piles of plates too. That will all be tough on your joints, I can see that. Let's see what they have to say - but don't gloss over your problems, that won't help them, or you - and you are the important one here. I wish you well - let is know when this is going to happen so we can support you. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • seamonkey
    seamonkey Member Posts: 323
    Hi Jayne,
    im so sorry your having a tough time just now, pain is an awfull thing. I hope you are able to get on top of it very soon.
    I also worked in a school kitchen for a time. I had to stop previous job and thought the 2 hours in a kitchen i would be able to do, but the work was very physical and completely wore me out, this ment that i was unable to do things at home. I had to give it up as it wasnt worth the pain and fatigue it gave me. Could they change the work you do to something less straining? Preping food etc instead of washing pots? Im sure you OT will be supportive of you and will say if there are any changes your work can make.
    I hope things get easier for you and you are able to carry on working wiht out too much hastle.
    Wishing you well,
    Seamonkey
  • jayneys
    TThank you, Speedy,Tracy ,DD,sEAMONKEY,I work in a large secondry school,a kitchen ****.involves much like DD said and more ,in order to get things done in the time you have to hit the floor running,there are only five of us .Thanks for putting my mind at rest.I will tell them it all DD.Sorry speedy i was a bit missleading ,saying ifeed children,its not a specel needs school. but by the time i finish for the day,i need help. Will let you know when i get the app All the best Jayne XXX
  • dreamdaisy
    That is a tough job, Jayne, it's demanding and heavy work. I think you have to be honest and tell them what's what - I honestly don't know if they will be able to make any adjustments for you but your health does come first. It has to. DD
  • jayneys
    No DD ,i dont think thay can do any ajustment,the other girls find it A hard job.Over the years i have seen meny only last amatter of weeks.Ilove the girls i work with but it is just getting to hard.Ialso need the mony,but imust put my health first. I AM seeing dr tommrow,to tell himhow iam getting on. Thanks DD All the best JAYNE XX
  • dreamdaisy
    Hi Jayne, how did you get on with your doctor? DD
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Hi Jaynes,

you definitely need an ATW assessment. Have you had an oT assessment at home? It is amazing how much the equipment can make a difference at home - and it could be the same at work. You say what you find most difficult and they come up with solutions eg perching stool for some tasks, trolleys, transport if that would help etc etc

SPeedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • jayneys
    Hi DD,,iv lost track of time ,whent to dr last wen ,stillon oxycodone,but he has put me on slow release 20mg twotimes aday.the others 5mg oxy useing for break through pain,but i seem to be takeing them about every two hours.But seem to have less side ef .but pain controle not good.OCC APP,Wen Dr thur .The dr has told me not to worry,they will ask him for paper work ,he said when thay see that all will be ok . Hi speedy what is aATW ,IV NEVER had an ot **** not looking forward to it ,but it might help.ALL THE BEST DD AND SPEEDY JAYNE XXX
  • dreamdaisy
    Hey Jayne, it's nice to hear from you. Are you hoping that the pain control will take all pain away? I hate to tell you this but it doesn't, never ever. The only thing I have found that works is general anaesthetic and they don't let me have that for some reason. :smile: Pain dullers do exactly that, they take the edge off to some extent, thus allowing one to have a go at getting on with things. The more you take does not mean greater relief, that could cause other trouble and you have enough at the moment without that, yes?

Right, you have had the OCC appointment today, I hope that went well and they were able to come up with some ideas or suggestions. Good luck with the Doctor tomorrow, and yes, speedy, what is ATW? Perhaps I should know but I don't!
  • jayneys
    Hi DD, All went well with oc heath ,the nurse was very nice .Iallmost canclled was so ill in the mourning ,felt much better after but had to go to bed when i got home .The nurse , did a letter for my work saying i would see her in six weeks to see how i am geting on but would not be going back to work soon .And if i did iwould have to see her first.she put it much better then that ,but if i tryed to do the same it would takeme for ever.I .had to sighn it ,and tha y will sand me a copy. I am starting to understand about the pain dullers ,its not so much the pain more the sick ness that i find hard,being out of control,andthe thumping head ,thankfully that is getting less, but was bad this mourning. Iwas allso given a card to ring,some counsling totalk .not sure if i will ring.GOOD NIGHT DD and thank you, hope you are doing well.
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    HI, I had to go to see occy health quite a few times, but in the end he told me that I am unfit for work and my pension was paid at the same amount as if I'd worked to retirement. He said that even moving from being a care assisstant to an office job would be too much as my OA is in my hands and back.

I think they are very helpful and they are only interested in keeping fit the health of employee's, which is to everyone's benefit in the long run. Well, that was my exerience, some may not be so good. Love Sue
  • jayneys
    Hi Sue I think you may be right ,the lady i went to see was very nice ,and im going to see her again on the 18 of may .The more i think about my job the more i think it is to hard .The OA is in my hips and knees,just keeping up with work at home is to much . THANKS SUE will let you know how i get on love Jayne
  • Pherstun
    Pherstun Member Posts: 96
    Hi Jayne

It's definitely a good thing to go and see occ health, they are there for your health and not to pander to your employer. I have just posted on another thread about occ health, this and delboy's thread earlier in the same post will hopefully put your mind at rest more.

Take care
    Debbie
  • jayneys
    Thanks Debbie sorry to be so green ,can not find it is it on working . THINK I MUST BE LOOK WRONG PLACE all the best jayne x
  • jayneys
    Thanks found it right in frount of me .JAYNE X
  • angila
    angila Member Posts: 1
    Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) is a chronic, systemic inflammatory disorder that may affect many tissues and organs, but principally attacks synovial joints. The process produces an inflammatory response of the synovium (synovitis) secondary to hyperplasia of synovial cells, excess synovial fluid, and the development of pannus in the synovium. The pathology of the disease process often leads to the destruction of articular cartilage and ankylosis of the joints. Rheumatoid arthritis can also produce diffuse inflammation in the lungs, pericardium, pleura, and sclera, and also nodular lesions, most common in subcutaneous tissue. Although the cause of rheumatoid arthritis is unknown, autoimmunity plays a pivotal role in both its chronicity and progression, and RA is considered a systemic autoimmune disease.

[Text deleted]

This Post has been edited by a Moderator. It was in breach of House Rule No2: contained a link to a commercial website. Moderator IA.
  • jayneys
    Hi all,thanks for all the help and suport you have given me .I am returning this wed to occupational health ,its been sixs weeks since i went last, its gone so fast,still haveing problems,with meds and all sorts.Im seeing my Dr tommrow .Realy dont know what will happen next,i get so worked up . ALL THE BEST JAYNE XXX
  • dreamdaisy
    I hope the visit to the doctor went OK and those six weeks have flown by haven't they? You see the OH people on 18 May, yes? The very best of luck with that, Jayne, just tell 'em the truth, that is all you can do and truthful is always the best thing to be. Please let us know how you get on. DD
  • jayneys
    Hi went to see my Dr mon was sent for more blood tests and i am returning to Dr next mon .whent to see OCC,today same lovley nurse as last time ,she put aletter together for my work saying that i was no where near ready for work and to leave it at least three mounths and them let her know and she would see me again.She allso told me that work would prob send some one round to see me ,and this was normal and not to get upset.Thanks DD for letter did tell her as much as i could ,its so much easyer when thay are nice.ANy one out there needing to see OCC,dont hesitate,thay just whant to help ,and do . ALL THE BEST JAYNE XXX
  • dreamdaisy
    I am glad to hear that the meeting went well and that she is a kind and helpful lady - you seem to be lucky with the people that are helping you, Jayne - some of us have to deal with a right bunch of miserable grumps! :smile: I suppose it is a good thing that you know where you are at the moment re work, but three months is a while, isn't it? I am sure work will send someone round and yes, she is right, don't fret, this is what they have to do. DD
  • jayneys
    Hi DD you are right so far i have been so luky with the people that have been helping me .Some of the letters on the forem tell some most distressing,and most unfair worrying and upsetting things that have happened to a lot of people on here its so much nicer to be kind and it make you feel good to, more people should try it all the people on here are lovely and deserve much much better.I was shocked when the nurse recommended to my work i see her in three mouths,im sure they will wont to get rid of me when thay read that.Even though if im honist with my self i know im not well enough to go back,but i keep hopeing . Good night DD ALL THE BEST JAYNE XXX
  • dreamdaisy
    I am sure you keep hoping that they won't say it's time for you to go, but I do think they will at some point - and when you look at it from their point of view you can see why. I know that we cannot help being ill, but arthritis is a condition that does not clear up never to return, it does mean that one's physical health declines, at an individual rate, and it can be very difficult for us to carry on working. Employers need to know where they stand, which is reasonable. At least the people you have supporting you are being just that - kind, informative, and not putting you under undue pressure. DD
  • smiler74
    smiler74 Member Posts: 5
    Hi, I also work in a school kitchen and it is very hard going. I have been off sick since January with my arthritis which has been severe in my hands. I went to Occupational health 2 weeks after my flair up started and they told me straight the job is damaging my health. I was so upset I cried all the way home. Work told me they were starting the process of retiring me due to ill health and still havent completed the process, I have to see Occupational health again on monday.

What is happening with your job now, wil you cary on?