had my toe op wednesday

lavenderlady
lavenderlady Member Posts: 409
edited 3. Jun 2011, 10:40 in Living with Arthritis archive
am now in agony its more painful then my wrist replacment am on Tramadol and paracetamol the bandage is half plaster was suppose to come out same day but had a spinal block and I could not pee and ended up having to have a catheter put in as my bladder had gone into spasm my stomach and kidney area was so painful so once that got working 3 hugh bag fulls later felt so much better but the spinal block wore off and left me in pain, hope this doesnt put me off of having the other big toe done, thought I'd pop on here while I can still get about am now going to sit on my butt for the rest of the day drugged up to my eyeballs :(

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    That sounds like an excellent plan, Lavenderlady. As not much else has gone to plan, much better to make your own.

I'm sorry you had such a hard time of it. I guess just because toes are smaller than wrists is no indication that the pain will be in proportion.

As for the rest - 3 bagsful!!! I'm in awe. I do hope they had the replacement bags at the ready.

Take it easy. Take care. Your job is just to get better.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    I had both mine done a while back, worse thing is the impatience, they do ache a bit though! Feet up and think of England, get someone to run round after you, I didn't and paid the price. If it's a fusion, no weight bearing until the bone starts to knit or it'll all be in vain, screws or no screws.

In this case, doctor knows best. Good luck.
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    That sounds so painful , Lavenderlady , do exactly as ordered ; feet up and do nothing at all . Thinking of you and hoping your pain begins to ease soon . Jillyb
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Wow Lavenderlady you are going through the mill! Hope things get sorted soon and that you are given pain relief that mellows you out and you feel no pain. Hope you feel better soon. Take care. Amanda, (bubbadog).xx
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Michelle,

Glad its all done and hope it will ease back pain wise soon for you. Feet hurt, they really do hurt though have never had joints replaced only removed.

Hope the catheter is a short lived thing as well and keep us posted. Cris x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi Michelle

Bless you :sad: I do so hope the pain eases soon - l had heard that foot surgery is pretty painful, but with guys like emla on here who are such stars l was hoping l was wrong and you would sail through it :sad:

Having said that it will ease it really will and soon.

I had to have a catheter after my back op for same reason...they were pumping me full of fluid for low BP too :shock: Came out the next morning...how very undignified eh :oops:

Hope you feel better soon and a WELL DONE from me

Toni xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Feet surgery can often be more painful than others, probably 'cos we stand on 'em to get about, after all it's hard not to, yes? Rest, rest and rest some more, organise a domestic slave or two (a hand bell or a whistle round your neck could be handy for summoning your attendants and will have the added bonus of mightily p*****g them off, after all you are miserable so why shouldn't they be too? :smile: ) and concentrate on getting better. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,899
    Hi Michelle.
    you are doing good the time will soon go you have the rest while you can.
    take care. joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • Poppyg1rl
    Poppyg1rl Member Posts: 1,245
    Hi Michelle,
    You brave lady! I think you're doing wonderfully well, rest as the others have said and stay topped up on the painkillers.
    Sending hugs your way xxx
    'grá agus solas'
    'Love and Light' translated from Irish. X
  • bertyboy
    bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
    HI Lavenderlady , be gentle with your self , i hope your back settles soon and your toe soon finds its place in life x
    I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx
  • lavenderlady
    had 2 of the kids off today so they've been looking after me son is 17 and daughter is 15 so well old enough to look after me, mums also been up, the pains awlful never had this before as you say its the weight on it thats making it hurt, got to see nurse on 2nd June and consultant on 20th he might want to do my other big toe and ankle, ( not yet let me get over this one first) the Tramadol works but if I take 2 at a time it knocks me out making me feel icky so take one every 2 hours which seems to be working, thnaks for all your support with out you guys knowing what I'm actually going through I would be lost thankyou thankyou thankyou
    yes they emptied the pee bag in time think they held 600mmls each but the pain went as soon as it started filling up, but Molly who was in the opposite bed was in for 8 weeks and I have never heard snoring like it it was sooo loud the other 4 of us was talking at 3am we could not sleep nurse said people down the corridor in other wards are also moaning about her she was 87 finally got to sleep only to be woke up at 5.25am for Blood glucose test Molly then woke up and said I'm so tired ugh !!!!! thankyou all so much michelle xxxx
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Hi Michelle,
    I am glad you are back home and hope you will be able to rest up over the weekend. Looks like you have no choice but to rest your foot as much as possible. I am glad you have family there to do the fetching and carrying for you. :grin:

Well you have something to aim for going to the concert on the 17th. Good idea of Julies about the sitting stick.
    Lv, I x
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Hi lavenderlady

oh you poor thing I hope the pain soon goes away.

Glad you had your son and daughter were able to help you today.

Take care over the weekend and have plenty of rest.

Thinking of you
    Juliepf x
  • dreamdaisy
    Go easy on the trammies lavenderlady, that dosage sounds like a helluva lot to me. I hope things are feeling a little better today. DD
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Oh Lavenderlady, if the pain & ops don't get you the fellow patients will.

It doesn't sound like the easiest place to recuperate. At least the rest of you can support each other in your mutual misery. When my brother was in the RAF they once carried the snorer's bed, complete with occupant, into the middle of the field but I guess that won't be an option for you - unless your physio's going extremely well.

I do hope you see an improvement soon. And less pain.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Hi Michelle

I do hope that today was easier for you and the pain has lessened at least a little. I found the first three days the worst with the pain after my toe (three of them) op. Your op sounds more complicated than mine. I too stayed in overnight when it is usually treated as a day case. I was happy in the end to stay because at least I did not do anything except rest in bed as instructed and the commode brought in when I needed it. I could sleep too, unlike you with that lady snoring loudly. So annoying for you all listening to that. :roll: I had the same trouble as you regarding having to have a catheter, after my second knee op. You have my sympathy.

Get well soon,

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • dreamdaisy
    Morning lavenderlady, how are things going? I hope you are feeling better/brighter. DD
  • lavenderlady
    well stitches were removed yesterday luckly the toe is numb as the stitches were deep in the wound, not on any tramadol now just dehydrocodein now and again,
    it feels wierd having a toe stick up and not being able to move it the whole joint was removed apparently and wired up, the joint was badly affected by OA,
    am still wearing the boot but only light bandage now, its still aching and I am petrified I will knock it but doing ok right now, the toe now looks like a thumb as its smaller the wound is clear and only needs to heal up got iodine patch on it to help with healing, looking forward to having the dressings off completley, thanks everyone for your help and thoughts much appreciated x