Say hello to Nelly, my dodgy kneebone!

bikerbabe
bikerbabe Member Posts: 8
edited 30. May 2011, 03:35 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone

I'm a newbie, but it seemed more people were posting on here, so a big hello to all out there. I wondered if anyone out there has had a knee replacement, good old Nelly the rather worn out and very sorry for herself knee bone was replaced 2 years ago (at the ripe old age of 41) and it's only been the past few months that I feel as if my leg belongs to me again!

I'd love to chat to anyone out there who has a knee replacement and who has to deal with the ups & downs of working full time, and their experiences. I have found that the good old general public & colleagues simply don't realise/believe what a difficult time arthritis can give you, especially in very cold weather and very hot weather!

Love the forum, fabaroonie stuff! :mrgreen:

Nelly the shiny new newbone xxxxx
growing older disgracefully!

Comments

• Poppyg1rl
    Poppyg1rl Member Posts: 1,245
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Bikerbabe,
    Welcome to the forum :grin: it's full of lovely supportive and informative people :grin:
    I haven't had a knee replacement done, I have PA (Psoriatic arthritis) just wanted to welcome you, and I'm sure someone far more knowledgeable that me will soon come along and advise you.
    Hope to see you posting again :smile:
    Hugs (()) x
    'grá agus solas'
    'Love and Light' translated from Irish. X
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Ey up, welcome from me too.. Hope you're not suffering too much today.
    Had knee probs for many yrs, none replace, yet.. Lol

Catch you soon, be well..
    :grin:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • bikerbabe
    Why peeps, thank you both very much :mrgreen:

I'm looking forward to going to the airport again very soon and having the machines going beep beep bonkers whilst being stared at by fellow passengers! Beats wearing the not-very-flattering knee brace I suppose!

Nelly the kneebone appreciates your comments, as do I of course!

Bikerbabe xxx
  • tjt6768
    Me & the knee brace are old friends, lol.. So much so that I just call him KB now.. :lol: I'm just talking about the neoprene ones though, with the velcro.. Was a dear and close friend to mr crepe for many years too.. Got to the point where I was too dependant on them though & wasn't doing myself any favours, so forced myself into a two year abstinence... Lol
    More recently I've become reacquainted with the Crutches, have you met them? Lovely couple :shock: :???: :lol:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • GollyStephens
    GollyStephens Member Posts: 19
    edited 30. May 2011, 03:06
    Hi
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hi bikerbabe, I've had 3 knee replacements, 2 in 1981 and one 2 years ago. All brilliant. No experience of working for a living with them though.
    tjt6768 wrote:
    Got to the point where I was too dependant on them though & wasn't doing myself any favours, so forced myself into a two year abstinence.

Tony, that's impressive. It's hard to take away one's own support even if it is for the good in the long run. Respect!
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • bikerbabe
    Why Tony, I do believe myself and Neoprane of the velcro variety have had many a date - as have the crepe bandages, not to mention the dynamic duo - The Crutches! I've had many an incident with said dynamic pair, one of the more embarrasing being wedged into the kerbstone and falling off the pavement into the road - splat!

The last knee brace I last had was plastic, fantastic and had velcro attachments along with little ratchet bits which were there to pull the rubbing Nellybones apart. Not forgetting the splint thingy I had to wear for a couple of months after the Nelly knee bone replacement occurance. Me poor Nelly didn't know whether to try and bend or be straight!

Golly, how marvellous to meet a fellow biker. I do still manage to use a motorbike despite Nelly not being as bendy a friendy nowadays :lol:

Stickywicket (love your username)! I am amazed to hear you have had 3 TKR's - and cheered to hear you have done so well with them. It's taken about 2 years for mine to settle. It's very encouraging for me, as they have no idea how long this new-ish Nelly kneebone will last :wink:

What a lovely welcome both myself and Nelly kneebone have had, thank you all :grin:
  • tjt6768
    I think you'll find us to be a friendly & somewhat insane bunch, lol..

You should make your way across to the chit chat section, that's where the erm... Most loony of us loiter.. :???: :???: :lol:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • stickywicket
    Bikerbabe, they didn't want to do my first 2 as I was only 35 & they said they only lasted about 15 years. One's just celebrated its 30th birthday. Keep the muscles strong and enjoy it!
    Steven Wright
  • bikerbabe
    Sticky -They were wanting to replace Nelly in my 30's and I said noooooo nooooo no, hence the knee brace thingy etc - had also had an ACL reconstruction and a couple of other knee ops (hops in my case)! inbetween... 5 knee hops on one knee now but only 1 replacement so far, encouraging to hear yours has lasted 30 years! As I am on my feet a lot during the day though I don't know what the future holds. Both me & Nelly are determined to enjoy it though, despite the pitfalls :lol:

Tony, I am going to check out where the loonies loiter :lol: are you trying to say that I, as in little old me, am insane? :eek: How did you guess :grin: darn it, busted already! :mrgreen:
  • stickywicket
    bikerbabe wrote:
    are you trying to say that I, as in little old me, am insane? :eek: How did you guess

You're talking to us, aren't you???
    Steven Wright
  • tjt6768
    You speak for yourself Sticky...
    I'll have you know I'm rather sane :shock: :shock: :eek: :eek: :???: :???: :lol:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • bikerbabe
    :shock: :grin::lol:
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Hi BB

Welcome to the forum. :smile: I have had both knees replaced, one in January 2008 and the other one in 2010. Had good mobility quickly but post op pain for much longer. Took about 9 months each time, before I could forget about them, if you know what I mean. Just getting over a three toe operation - I get withdrawal symptoms if I have not got an op to look forward to. :roll: I have not worked since being made redundant at the end of 2004 and started another job but hated it so much that I left, so have not worked since March 2005. Am now 60 so have a good excuse. :lol: I do a couple of cleaning jobs, weekly, to keep the pennies rolliing in, when not in hospital having ops and taking time off to recuperate, so not totally retired yet. :wink:

Look after yourself,

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • tjt6768
    Don't believe what any of em tell you.... I'm completely sane bikerbint.. Ooops...
    Lol :wink::lol::lol:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • bikerbabe
    tjt6768 wrote:
    Don't believe what any of em tell you.... I'm completely sane bikerbint.. Ooops...
    Lol :wink::lol::lol:
    Bint? BINT? LOL! :lol::lol::lol:
  • bikerbabe
    elnafinn wrote:
    Hi BB

Welcome to the forum. :smile: I have had both knees replaced, one in January 2008 and the other one in 2010. Had good mobility quickly but post op pain for much longer. Took about 9 months each time, before I could forget about them, if you know what I mean. Just getting over a three toe operation - I get withdrawal symptoms if I have not got an op to look forward to. :roll: I have not worked since being made redundant at the end of 2004 and started another job but hated it so much that I left, so have not worked since March 2005. Am now 60 so have a good excuse. :lol: I do a couple of cleaning jobs, weekly, to keep the pennies rolliing in, when not in hospital having ops and taking time off to recuperate, so not totally retired yet. :wink:

Look after yourself,

Elna x

Hi Elna
    It seemed to take ages for my knee to settle, was probably not helped by my leg being in such bad shape, lower leg was quite badly bowed and behaving very badly! Thanks for your message, and I'm glad to hear both your knees are doing well now, although it's a shame about the amount of time you had post op pain for :sad:
    Wish I could leave work sometimes when I'm having a bad day, but glad I have a job at the moment in the current work climate. My current employer is much better than my last thankfully, who made me call in every single week after major knee surgery (repair of torn meniscus and ACL reconstruction within 6 weeks of each other) just to say 'hi I'm still off work and hi, I still can't walk very far because Nelly is the size of a small elephant' :roll:
    Lovely to hear from you :mrgreen:
    BB x
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi Biker Babe
    Welcome to the forum {I've been away for a few days} As Toni said {more or less :lol: } You dont have to be mad to join us but it does help :lol::lol::lol::lol:
    Cant help you with replacement knees......I'm a hippie :P ...One done Feb a year ago an the other was due to be done Oct same year but sill not had it done...hanging on to it :P

Love
    Hileena
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Hi Bikerbabe and Nelly

I am an RAer so have no experience of knee replacements I just wanted to welcome you to the forum.

Hope you are having a reasonably good Bank hol despite the rubbish weather (here anyway)

Take care
    Juliepf x