cramp

nanasue
nanasue Member Posts: 465
edited 31. May 2011, 13:32 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all, hope you are feeling reasonably good, this weather isn't nice though, we need some sun. I was wondering if anyone has the problem of cramp in their FEET, I don't get it in my calves like most people. I have RA (quite bad in feet and ankles), OA and fibro. I do have quinnine tablets to take, but don't want to add another med if not really necesary.Does anyone have suggestions to help ease it? I can get it at any time, not just in bed, even when walking about. It's more of a nuisance than a problem, but any help would be appreciated. I've never suffered from cramp before so not sure what to do. Sorry for the rambling post I'm a bit tired.

Sue x

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I suspect your answer lies in you post. Quinine isn't a med as such, is it? It's a preventative-type thing, I always associate meds with curative-type things. I know that lack of potassium can lead to cramp, so perhaps eat a banana a day for a while, lack of salt can also be a problem - do you consume a reasonable amount of salt per day or could that be improved? I get cramp-like spasms in the tendons of my big toes, causing it to stick up at about a 45 degree angle, so I have an idea of what you are facing. Try the quinine - all you have to lose is the cramp. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I'm with DD, nanasue. I'd only add that, if you're determined not to take quinine in pill form, tonic water has some in. My husband slurps it some evenings and it works for him but I've a vague feeling it has to be better quality stuff - that the cheap ones have a substitute. He drinks the quiet one. (Sch)
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    With or without gin or vodka? I presume without. :smile: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • madwestie
    madwestie Member Posts: 383
    DD it is no fun without the gin :lol:
    Nanasue I get a lot of cramp in my feet i have for years it can be made wirse by some of the meds we take my gp says that the depomedrone injections i have makes it worse as does the salbutamol for my asthma. I used to take quinine sulphate tabs which did work but i can't now due to an incompatibilty with another of my meds.
    I find the quickest way to get rid of the cramp is to put my foot on something cold a tiled floor is good or rub a cold tin (keep one in the frigde) along the muscle. I have even wrapped my foot round the outsode of the toilet bowl if nothing else is available :shock: the ceramic is cold.

Tracey
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    I've had trouble with cramp on and off for about a year and a half now, started off with calves but lately it's in the feet, like DD, my big toe decides to stand to attention like some little sprog soldier desperate to impress the sergeant.. Lol
    Docs had me on quinine at first but it's definitely not a long term thing & it returned as soon as I stopped the quinine.
    I now take magnesium, one a day, bought from that supermarket moggisons... Cheap & cheerful.. Works really well for me, hadn't stopped altogether but it's quite rare now.

Best of luck mi dear :grin:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Hello nanasue

I see that Tony recommends magnesium. My Mum suffered severely with cramp and restless legs and the GP recommended magnesium which she finds helps hugely. Worth a try perhaps?

Good luck

Tilly xxx
  • tjt6768
    It's definitely as effective as the quinine, for me anyway.. :grin:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • nanasue
    nanasue Member Posts: 465
    Thanks all for your suggestions, I think I'll give the magnesium a try. I'll let you know if it works.

Sue x
  • tjt6768
    Good luck with it.. Cramp is awful eh?
    I'm not sure if it's still on but that supermarket almost called moggisons had a three for two offer on them :wink: Lots cheaper than the ones I bought at arseda.. :shock: :lol:

nanasue wrote:
    Thanks all for your suggestions, I think I'll give the magnesium a try. I'll let you know if it works.

Sue x
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • Compositor
    Compositor Member Posts: 122
    Hi, I attended my GP about a month ago, his first introductory comments were...you are on Quinnine aren't you John? I said yes, in ammazement. He said that it has been recommended that people stop taking this because it has been found that its effects can bring problems with and eyes and heart taken long term? So, he stopped it immediately, him saying we will see how you go on without it. I still get a lot cramp in my feet imparticularly which is very unpleasant, that being the case, can anyone suggest what I should ask him for in replacement for the Quinnine please. Good luck, John x
  • tjt6768
    only the magnesium, but I don't think it's available on script. Either way, I usually just buy them, sometimes three for two at supermarkets etc..
    Just your basic, one a day, magnesium... For me it's working as good as the quinine did..

Good luck Rkid :grin:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP