spondylosis and now fibromyalgia - advise welcome!

katie5
katie5 Member Posts: 242
edited 19. Sep 2012, 17:22 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi

not been around for a while - finally been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia as well as having spondylosis. I actually feel relieved in a way as i thought i was going bit crazy with new pains spreading every where. Now i'm feeling bit down and over whelmed which isn't helping with the tiredness.

feel a bit lost to be honest and not sure what to do next. my doctor gave me a list of options such as hydrotherapy, physio, tramadol etc. and i have to let him know which course of treatment i want to take. has anyone got any advice - would like to try to cope without tramadol if possible.

thanks for listening and as always look forward to your help and support.

Katie xx

Comments

• tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Katie, it's a mixed thing when we get a second type of tripe finally diagnosed eh? I know I was in two minds how to feel when I was diagnosed with the sero-neg in top of the osteo..
    It does make things easier to understand though, and the way I see it is that there is naff all I can do about it but at least I know what's wrong, lol..
    I can't give any advise as I don't have the same but best wishes hun, good to see you back too.

Be well, hopefully someone a tad more helpful will be along soon.
    :grin:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    Hi Katie,

I am unable to help you, I have OA and I take Tramadol at the moment. Just wanted to let you know that someone will come along and be able to help. Just hold on tight.

Karen xx
    Karen xx
  • jilly
    jilly Member Posts: 503
    Hi i have been diagnosed with fibro as well as seronegative arthritis and OA. I cant help with the tramadol but i do know how it feels to at last know there is a reason for feeling so bad . I have been given pregabalin which does seem to help with the all over pains i get . I hope you are able to sort it out and start to feel better. all the best ............jillyx
  • katie5
    thanks guys it's good to know that you're all there and understand how i feel it's difficult to explain to family and friends just how bad you feel sometimes.

as always hubby and kiddies have been unbelievable - feeling better today and more positive.

hope you are all doing ok and big hugs.

Katie xx
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    It's good to hear that you are feeling more positive today hun.
    It is such a huge help to have a great partner.. I don't know what I would do without my OH..
    That said, no matter how understanding, she doesn't quite know what this crap is like, that's where they'd place comes into it's own eh?
    We may have many different forms of this nastiness but when push comes to shove, the suffering is what it is & we all understand that part.

Stay well mi dear, stay positive too..
    :grin:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi
    I dont have fibro.....so cant help but do know what its like to finally get a neame put to it......fantastic,.,,,,,doesnt make the pain go away but what a feeling :wink:
    I'm sure someone will be along soon........there are lots with fibro and I've read lots of threads about hydrotherapy.
    I'm just going to check on hydrotherapy on Tues.....another thing to add to my to do list. :roll: We did have one in our local hospital about 11 miles away but they renovated it and it also lost its status as the best hospital for back problems and along with that its hydrotherapy pool
    I have OA by the way ....sorry.
    I belong to a branch of the arthits care but its out of my area......I think they might have one.....sorry I've rambled off :roll:
    Love
    from a rambling Hileena :grin:
  • minky67
    minky67 Member Posts: 2,328
    Hi Katie,I have Fibromyalgia along with spondylosis, OA & a few others all interconnected.
    I take pregabalins with help with the nerve pain, tramadols & slow release Tramadols, paracetomol, amptripyline (To help relax muscles & aid sleep)& Diclofenac (Anti inflamatory) I also have a cream (Algesal) to rub into my neck & shoulders to help ease the pain.

Its difficult to explain to family & friends how you feel. The pain & fatigue can be different every day.
    It might be helpful to see a pain clinic as they are great at dealing with Fibro. I had all my meds changed though pain clinic, tried acupuncture, had steriod injections into knees & right thumb & now ive had trigger point injections into my neck, ankle & wrist its really helped. They can also teach you how to manage the pain.
    Tens machines can also help so can heat or cold to affected areas.
    Getting comfy at night was a major problem for me, I have a memory foam mattress topper, feather pillows & a body pillow & these all help at night.
    Learn to pace yourself during the day. I set one big job per day ie the ironing or hooving etc etc..Over doing things = payback. Also i rest after each thing i do, sleep when your tired & try to keep everything moving. Excersise which your physio can help you with will keep things moving as the muscles can get very stiff & painful with Fibro.
    Hot baths are also good for the muscles.
    If you want to know anything else just ask away, I'll help if i can.
    take care, debs
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Hi Katie, I have Fibro along with Osteoporosis, I take Amitriptyline,Gabapentin just to name but a few! And I also take 130mls of M.S.T to help with the Osteo. So to say my memory is very short is an understatement!! :lol: I did used to take tramadol but with the pain from the osteo I was only on it for a short while, it is good pain relief. I have tried Hydrotherapy in a lovely pool, it is lovely and relaxing but pain wise it is short lived. They have a hydrotherapy pool on the cruise I'm going on so will have a few sessions while on hols! I do own a Tens machine, it was great when I 1st started with the Fibro and Osteo but as years past the pain was stronger then what the machine could go upto. So I don't use it any more. I hope you find the best thing for you, I don't think anybody can tell you exactly what to do each of our pain barriers are different. But if you ever need to talk please P.M me and I will be more than happy to keep in touch with you. Hope all goes well with what decision you make. Take care. Amanda, (bubbadog). :smile:
  • katie5
    hi all

wow - i'm overwhelmed. thank you all for your comments which i have read will lots of interest and it really has helped me.

i'm taking paracetamol at the moment and will be trying to do some exercise although i do a lot of walking i feel like i need to strengthen my muscles. I've had several physio sessions over the last 19 years and nothing has helped but at the time i didn't have a diagnosis so i'm considering seeing physio to get an exercise plan - although i can probably do it for myself just lacking motivation!!

thanks again for your support as always its appreciated more than i can say.

take care
    katie x
  • magenta
    magenta Member Posts: 1,604
    Hi Katie,

Sorry I've taken so long with replying to your initial post.

I have fibro, sero neg arthritis and oa in neck (cervical spondylosis? bit confused :shock:). Is it cervical spondylosis you have?

I take paracetamol, amytriptilline 50mg, pregabalin 25mg three times a day (trying to up it to 50mg) and Etodolac 600mg. I'm always extremely tired-exhausted even. No matter how long I sleep, I always feel like I've had none. I usually wake up several times during the night too which doesn't help. When I get home after work and picking up my children, I'm dead on my feet but I have to keep going-If I sit down, even for 5mins, I can't get back up again.

I've only been referred for physio for my oa probs and I asked for hydrotherapy but was told to go private for that. I've also tried tramadol but it didn't agree with me. The pregabalin is working well though.

If there's anything I can help you with, please feel free to PM me,
    Take care,
    Magenta x
  • katie5
    hi magenta and thanks for the reply.

I'm the same as you can't sit down when i get in from work or i can't move. I've got cervical and lumbar spondylosis so pain in the neck and pain the butt :lol: the fibro is causing aches and pains all over today but its been cold and damp here so that's probably why.

got my birthday this weekend and my mum is coming over from Wales so looking forward to that although will have to do some housework we jokingly say its like a royal visit.

hope you are having a good day

love

Katie xx
  • magenta
    magenta Member Posts: 1,604
    Hi Katie,

My day has been ok thanks. Enjoy your birthday weekend-don't do too much cleaning!!

Magenta x
  • traluvie
    traluvie Member Posts: 2,579
    Hi Katie,

I have just seen your post so sorry for the delay..
    In relation to your question about best option.. can't you have all lol..
    I have had physio but because i am affected in so many joints, they reffered me to hydrotherapy, have had my assesment and my first session next week..Tramadol i was taking for my endometriosis but also helps with my arthritis.. i find it helpful but i have to take it regulary for me to get the full benefits.. i also take diclofenac for inflammation, depo mendrone injection(steroid also helps with inflammation) amitriptyline at night, lansaprazole which line the stomach for diclofenac lol, vitamin B tablets as now i have vitamin b defficiency and last but not least hydroxychloroquine which is for my inflammatory arthritis.. Everyone reacts differently to meds and physio, whats best for someone might not be for someone else, so it is important to work closely with your doc to find some kind of balance that benefits you..
    Hope it goes ok.. and fire away if you want to ask anything..
    Wishing you well..xx
    th_tn_TisFORTIGGER.jpgxxTracyxx
  • jules44
    jules44 Member Posts: 26
    Hi Katie,

I have tried Physio, Hydro, Pain Management , tramadol etc the only thing that works for me is cocodamol and pregabalin, you have to try everything to find out what exactly suits you, there are no right or wrong answers as only you know how much pain you can deal with and what medication etc will help you.
    When I get up in a morning I then find out what I can and cant do throughout that day, its no good for me to sit feeling sorry for my self, I just think that there are many more people who are a lot worse off than me.
    I still work at the moment 20 hours a week but more often than not it has been 12 hours as I end up not been able to work that extra day, luckily my boss does understand and he does not say anything to me as long as I am up to date with my work - so I catch up at home on my better days and put the time down.
    Like you I have Fibromyalgia (which incidentally I was not told about but I saw on a letter sent to my GP from my Consultant), spondylosis of the lumbar and cervical spine, as well as a few other things.
    My husband told me a good saying many years ago which I often say to myself on bad days when I am in a lot of pain it is - you have to get up to survive.
    I hope that you find the right help that suits you, your doctor sounds very similar to mine - very very helpful, who is willing to listen to you and not just to try to fob you off

Jules xx