What kind of rash?

jackie1955
jackie1955 Member Posts: 632
edited 2. Jun 2011, 09:54 in Living with Arthritis archive
Anyone got any advice for treating what I think are insect bites, like those pesty little midges give you?
I'd been out in the country the other day, and the next day I felt itchy on my chest - only a small area. The day after I felt itchy around my neck and hairline (I wear my hair up) and when I scratched little 'hives' came up. They aren't so bad today so long as I don't scratch them......which is easier said than done! Fortunately the first ones that appeared on my chest have eased off somewhat.

(I'm assuming they are midge bites, I have been on MTX and Hydroxy for two years now with no ill effects so surely if it was a rash due to them I would have had one before now?)

Jackie x

Comments

• tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Maybe some old faithful, calomine lotion?
    Best of luck...
    :grin:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    The trouble with meds like meth etc is that one can pootle along on them for a while with no real ill-effects, then one day they turn round and have a go at you. I think you should go to see your GP, or someone in rheumatology, and get this checked out. I had a rash when on tablet meth, I now get one thanks to sunshine (injected meth). I soothe it with calamine lotion and anti-histamine tablets. I hope things improve and soon. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • jackie1955
    Hi, thanks for replies :smile:

Well, its Bank Holiday and I'm away too, so decided to see the pharmacist in Boots chemist. Showed him the rash, he said it looks like an allergic reaction and had I eaten anything different or come into contact with anything different? The only thing I could think of was last week I ate lots of fresh raspberries - now I've heard of folks being allergic to strawberries but not any other fruit? And of course there were those pesky midges about!

Well, he checked my prescription list and then advised some antihistamine tablets (10mg Loratadine - anyone had these?)that would have appeared much earlier, not after two plus years.

So, I've daubed myself with calamine lotion and the relief just from that is heavenly! Wish I'd bought some immediately......

Jackie x
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    glad that you are at least getting some relief with old faithful. Lol

I've been on the loratadine 10mg for many yrs now. Have perennial rhianitis.. Basically like hay fever all yr round, lol..
    :grin:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    When I was a child the only fruit I could tolerate was bananas, anything else caused severe ezcema. Since being on the anti TNF treatments fruit has been allowed (no immune system = no reaction) and what disappointing stuff it is. I was prescribed Loratadine in later years and it did nothing - the only thing that gives me relief is Piriton but we are all so different. I hope the calamine and anti-histamine help. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    Hi Jackie

Things can happen that didnt happen to you previously in your life...I mean in the last 3 years ive been diagnosed with idiopathic urticaria and angioedema which causes rashes all the time..I also get deromographism whcih means if my skin comes into contact with things such as holding a shopping bag or leaning on something the marks stay on my body for ages and look really angry but arent...I take 190mg a day in antihistamines....Loratadine is normal stuff get it on shelves in chemists, id drink lots of water too, to try and flush your system and you know how we tell the kids, dont scratch! It can be uncomfortable but it makes it worse and the scarring can be so too...

Hope you get it sorted..

Elainex
    jackie1955 wrote:
    Anyone got any advice for treating what I think are insect bites, like those pesty little midges give you?
    I'd been out in the country the other day, and the next day I felt itchy on my chest - only a small area. The day after I felt itchy around my neck and hairline (I wear my hair up) and when I scratched little 'hives' came up. They aren't so bad today so long as I don't scratch them......which is easier said than done! Fortunately the first ones that appeared on my chest have eased off somewhat.

(I'm assuming they are midge bites, I have been on MTX and Hydroxy for two years now with no ill effects so surely if it was a rash due to them I would have had one before now?)

Jackie x
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    I feel for you, in fact I'm scratching now!!! :roll:

I had Chickenpox a few years back and that started on my neck, but quickly covered me. An anti hestimine helped with the calomine lotion. If you have an allergy and have any antihestmine for heyfever, it may help but don't take anything without advice from a doc or the chemist!!! :mrgreen:

Hope you soon feel better and stop itching! :wink: Love Sue
  • jackie1955
    Thanks everyone for all your advice :smile:

Havent tried the antihistamine as - ridiculous really - I HATE taking drugs of any kind (ironic isn't it?). So if the calomine continues to clear it up (and it seems to be doing a great job) I'll not bother taking any.

If it wasn't for the MTX I don't think I'd bother at all about the rash, I'd just assume it was one of those things - but being on this drug we are always being told to watch how we self-medicate or have any side-effects etc

So, I'll continue to daub myself with the calomine - and hope people will find my ghostly appearance pale and interesting lol

Jackie xx
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    Jackie

Just a thought...My dad and i also swear by good old, cheap as chips, aqueous cream...Why dont you try that? It soothes the skin very effectively and you can get it anywhere for under two quid? No ghostly skin either as it absorbs right into skin..

Elainex
    jackie1955 wrote:
    Thanks everyone for all your advice :smile:

Havent tried the antihistamine as - ridiculous really - I HATE taking drugs of any kind (ironic isn't it?). So if the calomine continues to clear it up (and it seems to be doing a great job) I'll not bother taking any.

If it wasn't for the MTX I don't think I'd bother at all about the rash, I'd just assume it was one of those things - but being on this drug we are always being told to watch how we self-medicate or have any side-effects etc

So, I'll continue to daub myself with the calomine - and hope people will find my ghostly appearance pale and interesting lol

Jackie xx
  • jackie1955
    Thanks for that tip Elaine :smile:
  • madgirlzzz
    madgirlzzz Member Posts: 32
    Hi
    having been on meth for many years i started getting rash having been in sun, apparently can get a rash because become sensitive to sun! just get it checked out just incase, not that it stopped me taking meth or going in sun just make sure covered a bit better, use sun tan cream more and dont stay out so long! but that was rash like heat rash, it could just be midgy bits so dont panic, keep up with cam lotion if it seems to be working!

Gayle x
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Aquaeus is a good, cheap cream for 'delicate' skin, or a sore and dry area. If you are allergic to purfumed soap or it gives you dry skin, you can use it instead of soap! I've used it at work (care assisstant for disabled) for pressure sores. I had to buy some once and it was so cheap compared with the ordinary creams, I couldn't believe it! As you can see I'm a fan!! Sue
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi Jackie

weird coincidence but l got a rash too...forehead and eyes and cheeek bones l think form having my hair done on friday....l bought loratadine too....not a fat lot better and am using anthisan cream too

love

Toni xx

scritch scratch :wink: