Is it possible mtx might not be working as effectivley?

littlemummy2
littlemummy2 Member Posts: 91
edited 8. Jun 2011, 09:23 in My child has arthritis
Evening ladies and gents, I am wondering if my daughters meds might not be as effective as they once were?

She has had probs with her right ankle and that started to go down but yesterday I noticed that it was swollen again. Also she tripped over her skipping rope on friday in school and come saturaday her knees were slightly swollen and felt spongy around the knee cap.

She is 6 and is on 10mg of mtx (2.5mg tabs x 4 a week) Usually mtx works so a bit worried that we may be going backwards.

Any advice gratefully received many thanks Michelle x

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello Michelle, I am sorry to read that the meth may not be working as effectively for your girl. I have been on both tablet and injected meth and yes, it can vary in how it controls mattters, some weeks are better than others without a doubt. I take it she is having regular blood tests too? This will show if the lack of response to the meds continues and if that proves to be the case then I am sure steps will be taken to try to get things back on track: that is one of the points of all the monitoring, it does show anything going amiss quite quickly. I hope you are all as well as you can be. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • andylamb
    andylamb Member Posts: 41
    Hiya,

Sorry for the late reply. I haven't checked in for a while.

How long has she been on the MTX? When you say it normally works, has it controlled a flare in the past?

All the arthritis drugs seem to work differently for different individuals. What works for one might not work for another. I'm not aware that someone's body can become accustomed to MTX and therefore it stops working - although I know this is a problem with the other DMARDs, like the anti-TNFs.

MTX never stopped my daughter's flares. She has 3 seperate flares in the year she was on MTX. She was then moved onto Enbrel.

I would check with the Dr to be sure, a flare is never something to hang around about.

Good luck.
  • littlemummy2
    littlemummy2 Member Posts: 91
    Hi all again, phoebe had an appointment with Dr harvey on last thursday, her ankle is still swollen which to my knowledge she has always had a problem with. They asked if phoebe had been ill when she had her last blood test, which i told them she was fine, they said that her white blood cells were low.So they did another blood test that day, he did say they might have to change her meds, she also is still having probs taking tab even in nurofen. So just playing a waiting game now for them to contact me. She has been on mtx for 3 1/2 yrs she was taken off mtx when she was on the injection because she got so scared of needles they put her back on it on 9 dec 10 because of joint flare ups and uveitis.

Michelle x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Meth can affect white blood cell production - it sounds as though they are keeping a good eye on matters and I hope things begin to improve for her soon. I wish you both well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben