THR post op Advise Please

dippyhips
dippyhips Member Posts: 58
edited 1. Jun 2011, 02:45 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone :smile:

Got home last night and it's so good to be back home :smile:

I'm 5 days post op, I have been doing my exercises, resting, and abit of walking around the house and more resting. From my operated hip down to my knee is really swollen, which is making any movements really difficult. Is this normal and if so how long before it's back to normal or is there something I need to do to reduce it?

Sue x

Comments

• julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    dippyhips

can not advise you as I have no experience of thr just wanted to say I am pleased that you are back home.
    I hope the swelling goes down and you have a speedy recovery.
    Take care
    juliepf x
  • daylily
    daylily Member Posts: 619
    Hi glad to hear your op was ok.
    The swelling???? Mine lasted about 6 months, consultant said it can last a year. Like everything else everyone's different.
    Wore some horrible tiger print stretch pants I got from a nameless foreign supermarket as they were the only thing I could get on. UGH!!!!

(still use them for gardening) lol
  • constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    Hi Sue,

I bet your glad it's all over and done with. I still have the swelling, the district nurse is very pleased with me though. She told me it will take quite a time to go down, so be prepared for that. Keep us posted as you recover want you, and if you have any questions you can pm me.

Karen xx
    Karen xx
  • dippyhips
    Thanks Julie, Daylily & Karen.

I've been told by a friend to try ice pack & Arnica has anyone tried these, if so did they help?

Sue x
  • constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    My hubbie got me some ARNICARE from boots, it helps bring the bruising out and as far as I know bruising will be deep inside. My op was nearly 4 weeks ago now and I still have new bruising coming up to the surface. But Dont get it near to the scar. I'm sure it is helping, but it could just be me, try it.

Karen xx
    Karen xx
  • dippyhips
    Thanks Karen

I shall get my friend to get me some tomorrow, worth ago me thinks.

Sue x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Swelling can take an age to go down, and as for the bruising well, mine lasted for ages (synovectomy op, not THR). I applied gallons of witch hazel once I could get at things (I was heavily bandaged for a couple of weeks after), that reduced both conditions and eased the discomfort for a while. I still use witch hazel on the steroid bruises, it's fab stuff for me. I hope things improve soon, dippy. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben