Questions on post THR

constable
constable Member Posts: 2,115
edited 1. Jun 2011, 07:46 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone,

I am still having the district nurse come around. Alot of the scar now has stopped weeping, but the last inch or so is still not dry. I wanted to ask how long was it for you that the pain went away. Or am I expecting to much. it's been one month on Thursday since I had it done now. I am now down to one stick. But all I have to do is a little bit of housework and I am in a lot of pain, nearly in tears.

Can anyone advise me on their experience whether this is normal.

Karen xx
Karen xx

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I have had pretty invasive surgery, (not joint replacements admittedly) but I was left with a scar over ten inches long and lord knows how deep. It took months for me to recover, and I suspect your hip will be the same. I hope those who have had their hips done will be along to answer but I honestly think you are expecting far too much, far too soon, and trying to do far too much, far too soon.

You have major surgery, Karen, you should still be resting as much as possible, doing very little, doing exercises etc. After hysterectomies women are not allowed to even lift a kettle for six weeks - you have had a major joint replaced, it will take some time for a full recovery to be made. Look after yourself, please. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • daylily
    daylily Member Posts: 619
    Hi, I agree with DD, you seem to be doing too much.

I was told minimum 6 weeks no housework, then little bit at a time. Definately no bending!!!!
    Do take care please.
    xx
  • daylily
    Me again, I personally think you have ditched the stick too soon as well.
    At four weeks I was still using the crutches....
    xx
  • kathbee
    kathbee Member Posts: 934
    Hi Karen

I also think you are doing too much, expecting to do housework and then feel ok, its too early really.

I had a THR nearly 18 months ago and I remember I didnt do much at all until after the 6 week appointment to go see the surgeon to see how everything was going on.

I do remember I did get onto 1 crutch fairly early on like you, its a personal choice, but I took a lot of care. I didnt have the district nurse coming much mainly due to the snow and ice, they had a real job getting around, so I 'sacked' them, (in a good way ) and I would have called them if I had felt it was necessary.
    Didnt get out much again due to the awful weather.

Hope the scar fully heals, I guess I was lucky, I didnt have
    any probs that way.

Do take care.
    Kath
  • constable
    I am so confused. When I was taken back in, a couple of weeks ago, I was made to walk by physio(cant spell at moment) with out any sticks and walk up and down the stairs. They also mentioned about when I go out and about whether I should use one or two sticks I feel that all at the hospital were expecting me to be doing a lot more. I dont know what I should be doing, I do have my 6weeks post op in two weeks. But as I said very confused.

Karen xx
    Karen xx
  • daylily
    Hi Karen,
    Just take it easy until your appointment then ask the consultant.
    It's only another couple of weeks.
    I'm not saying don't do anything, walking is fine and the exercises of course, a few times a day. Not too much sitting at once.
    If you are really worried phone the consultants secretary for advice.
    Take care
    xx
    PS. it's a few years since my op, maybe the advice about moving about has changed.
  • dippyhips
    dippyhips Member Posts: 58
    Hi Karen :smile:

I'm really surprised at the rate you've been told to do things.

I've been told to use the crutches until the 6 wk check and put my energy into the exercises to improve the muscles and aid recovery, also to keep to the 3 rules and not to sit for more than an hour at a time, to walk around and to rest. I had mine done at the RNOH Stanmore who I believe from research are one of the top in the country.

The very fact that you were out of hosp the next day seemed far too soon to me. I knew I wouldn't have been ready then as much as I hate hosp and prefer home comforts and even now at 5 days post op, it's been extremely difficult.

Please stop rushing things as I fear you will end up doing more harm than good.

Sue xx
  • constable
    dd,dayliily,Kathbee and Wonkyhips,

After reading your comments I've realised that I had a sh**y hospital, even the scar they have left me with is going to be ugly. I am going to take it very easy until my 6 week appointment, thanks.

I wonder whether half the problem is that the hospital is in the process of moving to a new site, everything has to be over by September. On my ward they had only the old beds as the better ones were already at the new hospital. I don't think anyone at that hospital new what the other was doing to be honest.

Karen xx
    Karen xx
  • daylily
    Hi Karen,
    I know you've had some problems with your scar but when it's healed properly try using Bxo oil. My scar is hardly visible and I used it for about a year after. Just a little bit on the scar every day. Massage it in gently. I've no ridges or bumps just a little white line.
    take care and go back to the crutches please, just until your appointment.
    xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Re the scar, one it is all healed try applying a little Johnson's Baby Oil into it, preferably the one with added Aloe Vera. This must be done very, very gently so as not to pull or tear at stitches etc. An alternative to that is almond oil (quite cheap from a chemist, I believe). Both things will aid healing, keep your skin supple and hopefully minimise any scarring. My hospital gave me some fancy-pants oil after both synovectomies, while my scar ain't pretty it isn't too bad.

Without a doubt you are trying to do far too much, far too soon. Your hospital are not treating you with any care or respect: you do what you feel is right for you with regard to sticks/crutches etc: the more stress you subject your new part to, the greater the risk of upsetting matters - if you need two sticks for eight weeks so bl**dy what? You have to do what is right for you. We are all different in the rate that we heal and you have already had one setback. Take things easy and gently for the forseeable future. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    constable wrote:
    I wonder whether half the problem is that the hospital is in the process of moving to a new site, everything has to be over by September.

No, Karen, the problem is that the hospital is/are inefficient. One of my THRs was done just before Christmas at a hospital which was then closing the ward for a total re-vamp. The surgeon would only operate on us on condition that we were moved 2 days later to another hospital in the trust where we would get the full standard of care over Christmas. Everything went smoothly and well (Apart from Christmas dinner!)

As for the sticks/crutches etc, just don't rush things. You'll know when it's the right time to start discarding things. Just focus on getting yourself right not on housework.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • kathbee
    kathbee Member Posts: 934
    Karen, I think I have to agree with you about the hospital.

Seems like you were pushed out of there far too quickly.
    I was in for a whole 9 days.

As for the scar, I used bio-oil or Rescue oil every day on it.
    Someone has suggested it, it does the trick.

Hope to hear that you are healing well soon.

Kath