back to the drawing board(cars).

Options
tkachev
tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
edited 31. May 2011, 14:35 in Community Chit-chat archive
I got my new DLA award end of Sept but it was January before I was able to find my next mobility car. We put in an order for a Skoda Fabia estate and given 1st June as a delivery date.
Unfortunately they have had problems getting the automatic gear box so all orders are on hold at the moment. They cannot give us a date yet so we could be waiting for ages. They have had the same problem with the popular Skoda Yeti too I am told.

So now wondering whether to source a new car or keep waiting for a delivery date on the Skoda.

As It is half term and I had hoped to go away this week but now have to book for new tyres(Tues) and a service(Fri) as we are having to keep our current car much longer than anticipated. We only had an MOT at the end of its 3 years, whereas I thought we had had a service, so it is not in the best of health.

Elizabeth
Never be bullied into silence.
Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein

Comments

• tkachev
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Sorry the above was partly a question. Should I wait for a delivery date or should I cancel and go get a new car which will also have a waiting time?
    Do you lose your deposit(£245) if you cancel under such circumstances?

By the way I got a Nissan Micra(Cherry red) for the day. Very nice it was.

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    hi hun. Just seen this.
    My latest car was due 21st of last december, ended up mid feb.. Mine is also an auto, think they now make to order or something but that could be a lame excuse not sure.
    Bare in mind that it's your money, you should be able to change your mind but I could be wrong. We went for the new meriva 1.7 diesel auto, picked a good spec one, very happy with it now I have it. Like you I had to keep the old one longer, but I have to admit it wasn't any problem as the new garage guy sorted everything out as far as paperwork etc was involved, I was just keen to get rid, hated it.
    Not sure what to advise really. Could have a word with motability, see where you stand regarding changing your mind. Wouldn't ask them at the new place, think they'd try to talk you into waiting regardless..

Let us know how you go on.
    :grin:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • tkachev
    Options
    Thank you Tony for being the only person who replied. :cry:

When you had to extend your lease did you get an offer to service your car or did you think not to bother as you would only have the car a little while? It's just that we have been driving about on a deteriorating car as we only got an MOT at the end of the 3 year lease on our Nissan and not a service as I had thought. Its only when we went to change the tyres that Kwt Ft pointed out our brakes where on their way out.
    We originally had an extension until June 1st when the Skoda would be ready but that has now been extended to 1st September with no guarantee of a delivery.
    I Know OH liked the Hyundai but it was diesel and that vibrated too much for my liking. I'm glad you like your Meriva.
    They said we could cancel the Skoda but I don't know what happens to the deposit?
    Thanks for taking the time to answer Tony.

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • tjt6768
    Options
    I had the service done on mine, I think that was late december, more or less as the car was three yrs old. I am pretty sure that I was contacted to let me know that the service was due & it was all arranged over the phone including collection & drop off of the car all in one day.
    You could contact the garage that your current cat is from and ask them about the service, tell them what the kwikfit fella said about the brakes for a start. I'd do that straight away if it was me.

Mine is a diesel, and it's ever so quiet, very well made, I must admit I was a little dubious about getting a diesel because of noise etc but no, this one is great..

I hope that you get things sorted out mi dear..
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • tkachev
    Options
    Thanks Tony. I thought it was a service we had booked in Nov 10 but now they say it was just an MOT. So we have been driving around with a rough old car.It is booked in for a service Friday and got new brakes last week and new tyres today but it was all at our instigation.
    We looked at the meriva and i found getting out of those reverse doors a bit odd. I think we will look around and see if any cars have a short, definate delivery date. shame cos we really liked the Skoda.

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • alanthemanc
    alanthemanc Bots Posts: 512
    Options
    Vauxhall's are a 6 week wait, not bad.
  • tkachev
    Options
    Thank you Alan. We did look at the the Astra estate just worried as Vauxhall doesn't have a great reputation.

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • tjt6768
    Options
    lol... I wish Alan matey.. Mine was due 21st last December, finally got it around 13th February!!!
    :shock: :shock: :shock:

I do admit Elizabeth that the suicide doors are strange, but after taking a few people with various mobility ailments for a drive it does seem so much easier for getting in and out, the doors open fully for a start. Doesn't affect me as I'll always be in the front, lol... I do find it fairly good for getting in and out of the drivers side though. Very comfortable ride etc...

Please don't rush into choosing one just because it is available, that's the exact mistake I made with the last one, was stuck with a car that I hated for three years... Have a good long think about if it is worth the wait to get what you want. I was stuck with mine while I waited for this one but it was worth it in my opinion..

Best of luck hun.
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • tkachev
    Options
    It is dragging round the car showrooms I hate. I spent time and effort from Sept to January , read all the car reports,and was finally decided on the Skoda Fabia. Now I just don't know if they can fulfill this order and I'm 9 months into my award already. And then there is all that trouble with the Japanese backlog due to the earthquake.

I am hoping to keep the Skoda order alive until I am happy with any alternative.
    Thanks for the input Tony.

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein