bank machines grrrrrrrrrrr

luckybug
luckybug Member Posts: 205
edited 3. Jun 2011, 05:43 in Living with Arthritis archive
Does anyone else hate using bank machines, and have you noticed certain ones make it harder for you to get your card back. I recently went to Barclays in Blackpool and could I hell get my card out of the slot, so it got eaten, I went into Barclays and told them, and they said the machines were accessible for wheelchairs so they should be disabled friendly, let me tell you, they are not arthritic hands friendly....grrrrrr
So has anyone else had similar problems or is it just little old me!!

Comments

• cpontefract
    cpontefract Member Posts: 73
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Yep Im with you there!!!
    I normally force the hubby to use them or make sure hes next to me at least
    Although my teeth have come in handy before now! lol :lol:
    Claire
    Keep Smiling :D
  • theresa4
    theresa4 Member Posts: 696
    I had problems getting my card in and out of a machine once whilst away I didnt realise at the time but the machine had been tampered with and my card was cloned. The reason it was so hard in and out was that another device had been put in to read off my card. Keep an eye on your account just in case.

Love Theresa xx
    There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those. --Michael Nolan

Theresa xxx
  • luckybug
    luckybug Member Posts: 205
    Thats a good suggestion use your teeth, although with how hard its getting to get an NHS dentist one that speaks english and actually has credentials to do dentistry, I better not.
    On the other hand that is also one to watch out for being scammed...grrrrr makes it more infuriating.. lol
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    They can be awkward things to use so for that reason I only ever use ones that are in a branch - I think that minimises the risk of cloning devices and there are staff around to help if I get into trouble with the ATM. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    I also hate cash machines, and like dd only use the ones inside the bank where there is normally an assistant in sight.
    It is I agree so difficult to take out your card. I have to use both hands as they dont grip.

Another reason for using them inside the bank is I feel safer.

Juliepf x
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    What about using cash back at supermarkets?

The other thing I do is.......{I'm an Avon Rep} write a check out for the money I need, put it in the avon money and take the cash out. Then my cheque gets banked when I bank the avon money. OH usualy does that.

Love
    Hileena
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Don't get me started. Supermarkets are not banks. There is nothing worse than some dithery person in front of you who watches all their stuff go through, not packing it, then, once it's all through they start scrabbling around for their purse, then comes that bl**dy question and they start to hum and haw and think out loud about what they might be needing 'real' money for later that day - still not making any attempt to pack their bl**dy shopping - then they decide that yes, £10 might be nice, faff about signing for that, only then do they start the laborious process called packing. The list of questions gets on my wick - do you have a clubcard (or whatever)? Are you collecting the vouchers? Do you want cashback? How about a gin and tonic? (Never been asked that, I live in hope.)

Meanwhile I am standing there, stuff on conveyor in order of packing (hard stuff first, soft stuff last), bags ready, purse out, pack, pay, get receipt, move from till then check that everything has gone thro as it should. If not visit customer services. It's not rocket science.

Cashback can be handy but surely it isn't that hard to think about it while you are waiting in the queue. Avoiding this irritation is one of the few pluses for the self-service payment option that many places have now. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I just don't use cash machines as I can't. I get my husband to get the money for me. There was a question about this a month or several ago on the Simple Idea thread. One or two suggestions but nothing to help those of us whose hands are well and truly knackered.

And please don't get me started on the meaning of 'disabled friendly'. It often means 'for people confined to wheelchairs who have massive upper body strength'.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    So, who likes the supermarkets then? I don't want to say 'Hi!' to a complete stranger and respond that I'm well and 'having a nice day' when I'm not, I just love being asked for my clubcards, why don't I trot back to the isles and buy 3 for £5?? as I stand there with a bag I get asked if I have my own???? would I like some help with packing and what about cashback, if I wanted these things, I WOULD ASK!!! I have a brain, a voice and the willpower to use it!!! Believe me!!!! GGGrrrrrrrrrrr....

As for those stupidly designed self check out tills that still need an assistant standing next to you just in case you've brought a bottle of gin, a sharp knife or even a tube of glue before you commit an indecency by buying a reduced item that doesn't register the correct price, a loaf that falls out of its wrapping or some container that spills over everything.

Are they making me into a grumpy old git?????
  • wannabewriter
    wannabewriter Member Posts: 114
    My hands are ok, but my friend has a soft grip clothes peg in her handbag specifically for getting her card in and out of machines (including shop chip and PIN machines too)!
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Oh Crumbs!!!!!
    What have I started...... :?: I started it then DD continued with her rant :lol: I'll stick to getting my avon money I think LOL :P
    Thats said in love DD...you know that dont you :wink:

Love
    Hileena