Finger nails

Options
BobbieBlue
BobbieBlue Member Posts: 2
Hi.
I have had osteoarthritis throughout my body for many years now, and had knee replacement surgery last September. I have recently noticed that 2 finger nails on each hand are pulling away from the fingers. It is the two small fingers that are affected, but there are signs that it is spreading to the middle fingers as well. A friend suggested this may be caused by arthritis, and I wanted to ask your advice. I already have arthritis in the thumb joints, which get very painful. Could this be connected?
I would welcome your thoughts.
Many thanks
Bobbie

Comments

• tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Bobbieblue

I am a forum member, not a member of the Helpline team but I saw your message and just wanted to say welcome to the forum.

I don't have any experience of what you describe but the Helpline team may be able to give you some information when they are in again on Monday.

Meantime, you might like to repost on the "Living with Arthritis" (LWA) forum because most of us look there regularly and you might get answers from someone else who has experienced this.

Love Tilly xxx
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,490
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Bobby,

Thank you for your enquiry to Helplines. I've heard mentioned that on fingers where osteoarthritis is active sometimes the nail may appear ridged. But I've not seen any particular information about this in the booklets on osteoarthritis.

I wonder whether you can show the finger nails to your GP? If you think your arthritis in your hands is flaring up you could ask about a referral to a musculoskeletal clinic.

Would you like us to send you an information pack? If so email helplines @arthritiscare.org.uk with your full name and postal address and say OA hands/fingers.

I hope we can help further.

Guy