Steroids not working for PMR

Joyola
Joyola Member Posts: 4
Hello,
This is my first post, I was diagnosed with PMR about 3 months ago, and put on prednisilone, 15mg per day for a month, then reducing to 12.5mg and then reducing til a maintenence level is reached.
I'm still on 15mg per day, and the although the depression and tiredness have gone, I'm still in a lot of pain.
Could it be that a) I am just not receptive to steroid medication or b) I don't have PMR.

I have also been having pain in my right hip, which the doctor has diagnoed as bursitis, could there be a connection between the two. I should add that in the last four years I have had bursitis of the heel, both achilles tendons and in my right elbow.

I have a review with my GP on Friday, and I want to come off the steroids, is there any other treatment. I should add that I can't take anything with codeine in it.

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Joyola,

Welcome to Chat to Helplines. We are not medically qualified so although we try to be as helpful as we can there are limits to where we may be the best people. On the whole with PMR the way that the GP would monitor it and your treatment is by watching your ESR blood test results.

It's normally fine to get the GP to let you into what the results are and exactly how they are thinking.

It's not unusual for people to have other musculoskeltal problems too, so if you are concerned about things you might find seeing a physiotherapist a helpful option.

Steroids are virtually the only treatment for PMR... and them working is often the way the diagnoisis is confirmed, but diagnosing arthritis is notoriously difficult - a physio will be a very helpful sounding board if you think the diagnosis is not quite right yet.

Do private message us your full name and postal address if you'd like us to post you an information pack.

I hope we can help further

Guy
  • Joyola
    Arthritis in various places has been diagnosed, neck, c6&7, right elbow, feet and right hip where bursitis is. Physio hasn't been offered yet.

Due to see GP Friday, will update then, but very uncomfortable in neck and right hip today.
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Hi Joyola

I am a forum member and just would like to wish you all the very best with your gp appointment this Friday.

If I were you I would not wait to see if your GP suggests physio, you can put the question to him/her. I have OA and I went to a physio a long time ago about my neck and I was given three exercises and I do them nearly every day and I am sure they help me. My neck creaks and groans, but I have been reassured that is ok, if no pain accompanies them.

I would also ask your gp for any test results as helplines suggested. Some gps do automatically and I am sure others, "forget" to pass on the information to the patient, either verbally or the written word, the latter being easier, to digest.
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • Joyola
    Apologies for not posting yesterday.

GP is now questioning his diagnosis, ie do I have PMR, even though the inflammation markers in the bllod tests were raised, and I have all the classic symptoms.

He has agreed that I can stop the steroids, educing by 2.5mg per weeks over the next 5/6 weeks.

I've got to go back in two weeks, and he will then consider referring me to a rheumatologist, probably at the Bath Mineral Hospital.

I will comeback and let you know how things are going.

Thank you for your support and replies.