breathing exercises

Options
valval
valval Member Posts: 14,911
hi can you help are there any breathing exercises i can do have artheritus in sturnem and rhummy said to make sure breathing does not become shallow i know how easy it is to let this happen and just wondered if you have any thing amongst your exercises on here thanks val
val

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,488
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Val,

Physiotherapists and people running exercise groups would encourage breathing where your diaphram is moving (i.e. when you breath your stomach moves in and out, not just your chest moving).
    I'm not sure whether an exercise booklet will explain that in a lot more detail, so you might find the support of a physiotherapist a helpful option.
    but do email us your details if you'd like us to post you a booklet.

I hope that helps

Guy
  • carola
    carola Member Posts: 786
    Options
    Hi Val

Yep, breathing can help pain and relaxing so much.

One of the types I do is what I was taught at singing lessons over the years ..... breathe in through your nose picturing filling up your lungs like balloons. You will feel like your tummy is swelling up and out. Then release the air slowly.

Another is one of the ones from yoga and I use it at night time to help sleep. Keeping your mouth closed all the time Breathe in like above, pause for a couple of seconds then slowly release keeping your mouth closed, exhale through your throat, it should make a sound like your are growling without the growl in the back of your throat, almost like a sigh? In yoga, they say that breathing out properly is so important as gets rids of toxins. I find it very relaxing although you likely will not make any sense of what I have just typed haha!

Carol xx
  • valval
    Options
    thankyou both for your replys will give them a go val
    val
  • valval
    Options
    thanks for leaflets got them today great help val