Hi

MrsSparrow
MrsSparrow Member Posts: 22
edited 24. Jun 2011, 04:47 in Say Hello Archive
Hello everyone,

I'm Kate and I'm 44 years old. I have just been diagnosed with arthritis in my lowest 4 vertibrae and I've found this place and I hope you guys can help.

I'm in a bit of shock to be perfectly honest! I've been having back problems for a while now and I was told repeatedly by my doctor it was probably a trapped nerve and that there was going to be a short term solution. Today at my appointment they showed me the x rays and as well as the narrowing of the vertibrae I have a curvature of the spine (probably lifelong) and I need an MRI fairly quickly to determine the type of arthritis and subsequently the treatment needed.

I am a full time carer myself to my 2 young children who both have autism, and my primary worry is my future ability to care for them.

I hope that can get some practical advice, even if it's to stop panicking!

Kate

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello MrsSparrow, it's nice to meet you. I am afraid I cannot help on any front - I have two kinds of arthritis but my spine is not affected, I am older than you and don't have children BUT - stop panicking? No-one is going to tell you to do that! :smile: Don't be daft girl, of course you are panicking and who wouldn't be? You have some difficult responsibilities and now a huge uncertainty over your own health. This is a far from easy time for you and I hope the forum can help.

You found the 'Say Hello' forum, see if you can find the LWA one (living with arthritis) and re-post there. Not many people look in on this bit, but the majority read LWA and I know you will find some kindred spirits on there - mums, mums with autistic children, people with OA of the spine, other people with arthritis and back troubles including scoliosis, I am sure you will glean some more answers and support. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • traluvie
    traluvie Member Posts: 2,579
    Morning Mrs Sparrow..

Welcome form me too, i am 31 with 2 children and a partner who has aspergers, and 2 nephew with autism of some sort..I have OA and inflammatory arthritis..
    It can be very daunting experience at the moment, but you are not on your own..
    They are all great on here and many will be able to empathise with you..
    Only a short note as i am off to doctors.. will pop in later see how you are..
    th_tn_TisFORTIGGER.jpgxxTracyxx
  • MrsSparrow
    MrsSparrow Member Posts: 22
    Thank you for your kind words.....it's good to know there are other people out there! I've been back to the docs again today for blood tests (they think I have either thyroid or hernia issues too :roll: ) and as well as the MRI they want me to do a barium meal.

I'm so happy to know I'm not alone

Thank you

Kate
    x
  • jonnyboyy
    jonnyboyy Member Posts: 4
    Hi Kate I'm new to this aswell just been diagnosed with OA in a number of my joints but the thing to remember you are not alone.

John
  • Ankyspond
    Ankyspond Member Posts: 626
    Hi,

I am new to this too, I have AS which includes curvature if the spine. I teach, have three children and although always easy I manage. Please don't give up but can understand the panic we all go there at some times.

I am on anti TNF injections weekly which I administer, not sure if woukd work in yours but they fantastic.

Hope this helps.
    AS Sufferer
    Live, love and enjoy life, live each day as though it's your last!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Anti TNFs are not used to treat OA as that is not an auto-immune condition. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Ankyspond
    Ankyspond Member Posts: 626
    Sorry didn't know that!
    AS Sufferer
    Live, love and enjoy life, live each day as though it's your last!