Anyone seen the list of drugs on the BBC news website?

jenzie06
jenzie06 Member Posts: 708
edited 2. Jul 2011, 21:38 in Living with Arthritis archive
Its in an article entitled 'Warning over combining common medicines for elderly.'

I got a score of 5 meaning that if I were older I would have to go and have another chat with my GP. Or at least a GP as at my surgery you never see the same doc twice.

Apparently 'Between 1991 and 1993, 20% of patients with a score of four or more died. Of those taking no anticholinergic drugs only 7% died.'

On a more positive note if I die earlier that's ok as I won't have a pension to look after me anyway so I'll be a bag lady. But then again I could get hit by a bus tomorrow so I don't think I'll lose any sleep over it.

What a daft article, it will just make people worry unnecessarily, the docs know this occurs but what can you do if you need to take the drugs?!

What were other peoples' scores?

Comments

• kneegirl
    kneegirl Member Posts: 492
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Do you have a link to the article please?

Thanks
    event.png
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    If you google Warning over combining common medicines for elderly you will easily find it.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • jenzie06
  • kneegirl
    kneegirl Member Posts: 492
    Thank you Jenzie.

x
    event.png
  • traluvie
    traluvie Member Posts: 2,579
    I got a score of 3..which was from amtriptyline..Couldn't see any others on there..
    th_tn_TisFORTIGGER.jpgxxTracyxx
  • Poppyg1rl
    Poppyg1rl Member Posts: 1,245
    I got a score of 6, Amtriptyline, prednisolone, diazepam, and codeine. I'm 39, i think if u need the meds, u take them, I don't personally worry re shorter life span, I'd rather take the meds and have a better quality of life than live longer in pain :grin:
    Love to all x
    'grá agus solas'
    'Love and Light' translated from Irish. X
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi Jenzie how are you??

l think l got 5

amitrip 3
    colchicine 1
    codeine 1

we are ok for no l think anyway aren't we?

Love

Toni xx
  • jenzie06
    Off to see GP on Fri to discuss my sciatica so will ask about drugs.

Toni - things going ok thanks. Harry off to nursery for the first time tomorrow. He hasn't been going as they have had a stomach bug which he brought home after a quick visit. Now they have chicken pox, not great for mum or me but I can't cope any longer. He's brill but I get v tired.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Oh Jen

I do hope he doesn't catch it :shock:

But you do need the break. he is growing up so fast :smile:

Love

Toni xx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hi Jen
    Thanks for this I will go and have a look, little Harry going to nursery...it dosnt seem two mins since we were all waiting for his birth.....that was a long night :grin:
    I am glad you will be getting some rest, and Harry will love it when he settles in.
    You take care.
    Love
    Barbara
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    I scored 4 maybe that explains a lot! love Suexx
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Jen,.

Hope Harry will be ok and not catch anything but d understand the fact you need some rest up for a few hours as well.

Is he still ok with his shoes :lol: they grow so quickly and for me time whizzed by as well..... Age Jen I think :lol:

You take care and I agree with Poppy if you need the drugs then you need them.... For me quality is more important than quantity.

Hey nice to see you and hope Harry enjoys himself. Cris xx