A question regarding painkillers......

keith1971
keith1971 Member Posts: 302
edited 10. Jul 2011, 09:40 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi,

Seeing my doc tomorrow to get a repeat prescription of diclofenac and also want to get some painkillers from her as things are getting increasingly difficult to cope with.

What seems to work best for people? Tramadol or Co-Codamol? And what kind of dosage? In the past I've very rarely taken these things, apart from a nice course of codeine when I had my tonsils out, so am a little in the dark.

As ever, any advice gratefully received.

Many thanks in advance.

x
315yexv.jpg

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Everyone is different. I have the cocos 30/500 for everyday use and yes, they can block one's bowel so I have docusate pills to ease that problem thus it's not an issue. I use the tramadol 50mg at night as they do tend to make me more dopey than needed so they help me sleep. For the really bad times I have tramadol 100mg slow-release, which are wonderful and can be topped up with the cocos with no ill-effects. If you are new to the stronger pain dullers she may well start you on the 8/500 cocos, give those a whirl and see what happens. Remember they only take off the edge, no more. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Turbogran
    Turbogran Member Posts: 2,023
    As DD says everyone is different I take co-dydramol 10/500 and Naproxen 500 as antiflam/pain relief hope your doc can find the right one for you it can be trial and error i'm afraid untill you get the right ones
    Stay positive always👍xx
  • traluvie
    traluvie Member Posts: 2,579
    Everyone is different when it comes to what med's work best for them. I take 50mg tramadol up 2 eight times a day. . They can make you very spaced out at first but once I got used to it they are ok. It is best to discuss options with Gp. . You may find you need to try different med's
    th_tn_TisFORTIGGER.jpgxxTracyxx
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi Keith,
    I hope you get things sorted out soon.
    Its true....everyones different and we all re-act differently to different meds.
    For instance.....I was like a zombie and no way would I have got behind the wheel of my car with di hydrocodeine but I'm sure others can cope with it

Love
    Hileena
  • dopeykit
    dopeykit Member Posts: 107
    Hiya,

Sorry to hear your having bad pain.

I agree with everyone that we all react differently and I also seem to go through phases where some stuff works better for me than others.

I'm taking naproxen (anti - inflammatory) and tramadol at the mo and they are pretty good for my purposes. The tramadol took a bit of getting used to - made me high as a kite and nauseous at first but is ok now.

Defintely talk it through with the GP - might be a case of trying a few things and seeing what helps most.

Good luck with it,

Kit
    www.cookingwitharthur.com
    Healthy, tasty recipes for living well with arthritis
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Horses for courses, Keith. I personally take as few as possible & always have done partly because I'm a stubborn b-gg-r and partly because I just hate feeling doped up, especially as I'm a bit wobbly on my pins even without them. It's very rare for me to take more than a couple of lots of anything in a day though I'm quite happy to swallow anything post op.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • keith1971
    Thanks for all the info people......co-codamol sounds more preferable for me given what you've all said.

As I'm asking about drugs, I'm also going to ask the doc for naproxen instead of diclofenac as the diclo is only helping slightly.

Any views on naproxen?

x
    315yexv.jpg
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    I used to take naproxen, and found it far superior to diclofenac. However for others I know it does nothing. Naproxen makes you sun sensitive, so be careful with the sulfa as well.

I am unable to take nsaids anymore due to kidney problems. I do miss my naproxen.
  • dreamdaisy
    Naproxen gives me lovely oral thrush. I am back on it now due to the OA and my tongue is yellow and furry, stuff tastes funny and, as per usual, my knees have not noticed any difference whatsoever. I am taking myself off it when this prescription runs out. I loathe the stuff. DD
  • keith1971
    DD, I don't think you can blame Naproxen directly for the thrush. It's more likely just due to your weakened immune system.

x
    315yexv.jpg
  • princess935
    princess935 Member Posts: 90
    naproxen was brill when i was allowed to use it.
    Tramadol was brill for the pain but kept me awake all night and made me feel totally out of it during the day, i weighed it up that it was better being in pain rather than not being able to even sit up and speak.
    co-codamol, never liked this is in the past as had bad constipation, but lowered the dose and take with paracetamol, only take it about 3 times a week as dont want to be bunged up, that way i have some good days.

But things work differently for everyone. Defo the naproxen is my fav all rounder, and easy on the stomach.but cant take it.

good luck x
  • keith1971
    I kinda feel like I'm going to see my drug dealer with a shopping list! :grin:
    315yexv.jpg
  • dreamdaisy
    It goes when I stop the naproxen. It is a listed side effect and it clears when I stop taking it so I think I correctly attribute the blame. As we repeatedly say on here, what suits one person may not suit another. The best anti-inflammatory I ever had (in that it worked) was Celebrex, but my GPs won't prescribe that as it is too expensive for them. When I was on that I could both see and feel the difference in my knees etc. Never mind, it matters not. DD
  • keith1971
    Well I guess you just know better than the rest of us DD. Get out of the wrong side of the bed this morning perhaps? :roll:
    315yexv.jpg
  • traluvie
    traluvie Member Posts: 2,579
    DD wasn't saying she knows better.. just that in her experience the certain tablet she is taking is causing the problem..each person is different..
    th_tn_TisFORTIGGER.jpgxxTracyxx
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    HI
    I was taken off diclofenic by a new GP and put on naproxen.....cant see any difference at the minute to be honest but I'm coping with more than my usual OA.....sprained sacro illiac joint....so its very hard to tell

Love
    Hileena
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hi Keith
    I have OA, I take gabapentin for nerve pain from my back, I honestly think it helps with the other pains has well.
    Diclofenic, my gp has just started me back on them after a year off them, and they are a big help, cocodamols, I try to leave these till the night, and if you are not sleeping with the pain, I take amitriptyline now I couldnt live without it.
    I never take my maximum dose, because I always think well were do I go from here, I was told by the pain clinic it would be morphine based patches, but Im not ready for them just yet.
    I do hope you get some relief very soon
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    I don't know any better, but you asked for views on naproxen and I gave mine. After nine years of arthritis meds I have a pretty good idea of what does what to me. DD
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi Keith

l am a whimp these days and find a lot of meds make me sicky-woozy

I now have bu-trans patches which are great slow release so no sicky-high or desperation waiting to be allowed to take another dose!!!

Top up with co-cos 8-500or 16-500 as needed

I was able to take 2x50mg tramadol and drive when l had my back op but now l am sick for two days.

Tried gabapentin up to a ridiculous dose (3600mg a day???)and loved it as l felt fine, but did nothing for my pain :lol:

All of them l think are good for stopping the poo :oops: but a glass of prune juice solves that :wink:

Love and good luck

toni xx
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Bit harsh rkid, DD was only trying to help..
    No need for saying stuff like that.

Hope you get some decent meds sorted for the pain.

keith1971 wrote:
    Well I guess you just know better than the rest of us DD. Get out of the wrong side of the bed this morning perhaps? :roll:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    keith1971 wrote:

I imagine she probably does know better than the rest of us as to how her own body reacts to stuff. She's had long enough to work it out. And she never said it was the same for everyone. Come on, Keith, that was a bit uncalled for.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • keith1971
    Look I'm not here to get into arguments with people. However nowhere in the literature I've read about Naproxen does it list oral thrush as a side effect.

DD is a big girl and can look after herself, I'm sure she took no offence in my comment, it was hardly cutting.

Anyways...........
    315yexv.jpg
  • dreamdaisy
    As it happens you did offend me, I am not doing too well at the moment and your sarky comment stung. I've been troubled by this dross for a while now and I do have a very good idea of what does what to me. I found your comment unpleasant and uncalled for but I realise that you are new to all of this and very uncertain about your future. I hope the naproxen does what it is supposed to do for you, I hope you don't have to venture into the stormy waters of methotrexate and I hope your PA responds to any meds you do try.
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    hi kieth i found it cause mouth ulsers and did not like the taste it gave me in my mouth it tastes awfull even when try to swallow it straight down so asked doc if could come off it on hyd and that works great with ibuprophen when need extra push and co codomals (only use at night mess with my head so be carefull if you drive)
    val
  • marl57
    marl57 Member Posts: 17
    Hi I have been on Naproxen for 30 years they help a lot although i am also now on Sulphazalazine and the Butran Pain Patch and i take paracetamol as Cocodomal was causing severe head pain so i was taken off them. Of course there are side effects with all of them and have to take other meds for that . Everybody is different what works for one doesn't mean it will work for someone else. I have RA and OA so all my bones are affected. Hope you get sorted with your med.