hi everybody a few questions

craigp
craigp Member Posts: 44
edited 29. Jun 2011, 10:24 in Living with Arthritis archive
Well let me begin i had an accident at work a couple of years ago and ive only just been seen for a mri scan on my ankle and the results have turned out ive got OA accelerated because of my accident im 30 and abit confused where i go from here.
I was told i had this over the phone from my solicitor who had the results because of the claim pending my work.
Do i after inform my work now myself the pain is unbareable at times and i work 12hr shifts on my feet :sad: im scared im going to loose my job the pain can be a real nightmare at times.
If i end up having to use a walking aid thats my job done plus im a verry keen fisherman used to spend hours walking riverbanks but im scared its going to be a nono from know on because of the uneven ground and the pain im in at the end of a session.
Please tell me theres a miracle cure or am i just living in a dream world.
I dont know what to expect or where to go from here sorry for the rant but im not good at shareing concerns with my loved 1's and its allways easys to talk to strangers who live with this and alot worse

Comments

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    first you need some good pain meds go see your doc they should have results as well and can give you better advice than we can. but you do need to tell them just how bad it is not like we all do at the start go in and say it ok even when it not they should send you to hospital to see consultant to see if there anything they can do val
    val
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    Hi, I really think you need advice. preferably from someone impartial, the CAB, D.I.A.L, or maybe even the helpline. Do you have a union at work?

It sounds like a very complicated situation, I hope someone comes along with really good advice for uou.
  • traluvie
    traluvie Member Posts: 2,579
    Hi Craig..

Welcome to the forum..
    I have inflammatory arthritis in my ankles not OA , but we both experience pain, so can empathise with how you are feeling..When you are first told, you have a whirlwind of emotions going on and are unsure what to expect,,, the truth is no-one knows and can't say how it is going to affect you, everyone is different..Some people are still able to lead a normal life others can't.
    I think you need to discuss with your GP pain meds and i'm sure someone will come along shortly and be able to tell you more about OA..
    In regards to work can you speak to Occupational health? they can support you in your work place..
    th_tn_TisFORTIGGER.jpgxxTracyxx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hi there, Craigp. First off, this wasn't a rant, just an introduction and explanation but any time you want a proper rant feel free.

As far as the work stuff goes - I suggestyou get in touch with our Helpline people. I'm sure they'll give you good advice.

As for the miracle cure. Well, I'm afraid that is cloud cuckoo land but don't despair. We all respond differently to meds and you may find they help you enormously. Get all the help you can from your GP. And remember we're always here to share stuff with. I hope you get some relief soon.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • craigp
    Thanx for the replys every one
    I will speak with work tomorrow and see what gets said i drive a forktruck for a living and thats my brake foot so its a no brainer really for me il after try and move departments no good spending 12hrs constantly putting pressure on it il only make it worse for myself :sad:

the thing thats gets me wound up the most is the fact ive got a 4year old and another son due in 3weeks and the thought of not being able to run about with them is heartbreaking for me (if i try and go faster than walking pace my ankle gives way)

il just grin and bare it tell it gets sorted 1 way or another :grin:
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Ey up fella, welcome to the forum, hope that you are ok tonight.
    I am a tad drowsy at the minute so hold no wise words for ya :lol:

I am sure that you will find us a friendly bunch with a whole wealth of knowledge, some on here hold more than others, lol...

My hands hurt so won't type too much now, but will hopefully catch you again soon

Be well Rkid

:grin:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • LoneGunman
    LoneGunman Member Posts: 25
    Hi craigp

As a fishing fantic my self I thought the same as well and all I can say is you dont have to giveup anything there is allways a way round a problem and all you have to do is adapt to your situation.

Thinking that you have to give up somthing becuse of an illness can be very soul distroying and can also have the knock on effect and make your illness rule your life.

There was one thing I gave up when my illness got to much to be able to do it and that was cycling the sad thing is I had no choice on this as it was doing more damage to my lower back and I loved cycling with a passion the same as I have with fishing and it broke my hart when I had to sell my bike :sad:

The main thing is you have a choice and you adapt to the situation like useing a trolly to carry your fishing gear or take only the bare minimum of tackle so you only have to use one hand to carry your gear with and use a stick to help in taking the pressure off your bad ankle in the other hand, and fish where you know you can get easy access to the bank.

So never give up on anything you enjoy doing unless its going to have a massive impact on your health.
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi Craig,
    Welcome to the forum.....and it wasnt a rant....We are always here to listen and help if we can. {Someone will be able to} We all feel the same about putting on to our loved ones no matter how supportive they are.
    I'm afraid I dont know about the work situation :???: .....as someone said CAB or someone like that would be better to ask.
    My arthritis in my ankle is due to a car reversing over my ankle then driving over it and I claimed for that. I was just giving up work at that stage so that didnt really apply.
    A lot of us go into denial at first and say we are OK....I remember when the OT first offered me things I thought to myself {I am not disabled I am not disabled}and refused everything she offered......that was 8 years ago....things have changed now :lol:
    My arthritis is in my hips and lower spine so it is my mobility that is affected.
    Lonegunman had some very wise words.......there is usually a way around things.....you have to adapt but you do sometimes without really noticing. Dont just give things up....think..... "I can do it" not "I cant do it".....think of ways round the problem....there usually is....OK I'm going through a very bad patch at the minute but forgetting that.....I will never walk as far as I used to be able to but I'm very lucky I have a car, I drive a certain distance and walk a certain distance {some people are stuck in}
    When it first started I was doing Market Research which involved going from door to door with a heavy computer and knocking on doors and doing surveys.....It got to the stage where I couldnt walk that far but they moved me within the firm....to do Social Research....eg British Crime for the Home office....things like that.
    The difference being you were given 36 housed dotted all over the place but they were specific addresses and you had to drive to them ...if no one was in you didnt go next door....you went back to the same place another day...so it was mostly driving.....still had the job I loved.
    Sorry if I sound as if I'm preaching :oops: Didnt mean to ramble so much
    Hope you enjoy the forum
    Love
    Hileena
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi Craig

if l were you l would start by getting the information clarified by your own GP.

As others have said there is no reason why you can't carry on with the vast majority of things you enjoy. (there are surgical options available if it comes to it - before you give up your job)

Certainly you need pain meds and maybe physio too to strengthen the ankle and look after it. You may be advised to use a stick...if you are then do so to look after the ankle again.

Fishing! Lovely hobby and NOT one you need to give up on at all. I have been fishing with wheelchair users and in fact it's a great hobby for those of us with mobility issues.

Finally - you will still be a great Dad to those children Craig...attitude, time and encouragement :smile: kids need that and you can do that l am certain :grin:

Love

Toni xx

PS we post on here too so we save our OHs :wink:
  • prefabkid47
    prefabkid47 Member Posts: 1,316
    craigp wrote:
    Well let me begin i had an accident at work a couple of years ago and ive only just been seen for a mri scan on my ankle and the results have turned out ive got OA accelerated because of my accident im 30 and abit confused where i go from here.
    I was told i had this over the phone from my solicitor who had the results because of the claim pending my work.
    Do i after inform my work now myself the pain is unbareable at times and i work 12hr shifts on my feet :sad: im scared im going to loose my job the pain can be a real nightmare at times.
    If i end up having to use a walking aid thats my job done plus im a verry keen fisherman used to spend hours walking riverbanks but im scared its going to be a nono from know on because of the uneven ground and the pain im in at the end of a session.
    Please tell me theres a miracle cure or am i just living in a dream world.
    I dont know what to expect or where to go from here sorry for the rant but im not good at shareing concerns with my loved 1's and its allways easys to talk to strangers who live with this and alot worse

Hi Craig
    If your ankle problem is so debilitating,then ankle fusion is an option especially for someone of your age.
    It may seem a bit extreme at first,but is very commonplace.It is very robust and is permanent and will enable you to do most of the things you do now with no pain.There are folks on here who have gone down that route (I have just had an ankle replacement!).
    Now doubt your consultant with advise on the best course of action based on your X-rays/scan.
    Ron
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy''. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
  • rugbygirl
    rugbygirl Member Posts: 691
    Hi Craig

Sorry to hear about your situation. As others have said you can get round things and do things that you enjoy.

I got to the point that I was concerned about doing anything because of the pain in my back (i have OA of the Spine). I live on meds without I wouldnt be able to do as much as I do now. I have had hydro therapy and physio therapy. It helped a lot.

I still have bad days and I still struggle to do some things but I still find time to spend doing things I love doing.

Kids are very understanding and they dont always notice you have something wrong with you. You might not like the idea but instead of running about with them why dont you try to do other things with them. Read, build lego, play cars, get messy with paint or baking. All kids really want is to know that you are there for them, you love them and you spend some time with them doing things you and they enjoy.

Its not an ideal situation but there are ways round it. I had arranged to take my eldest to a concert before I was diagnosed and it was an outdoor concert. By the time the concert arrived I knew that there was no way I would be able to walk or stand for that long. I hired a wheelchair to enable me to join in with her and not miss out.

There are always things you can do, dont focus on the things you cant do. If you like swimming why not take your kids swimming and giving them your time that way. It is also better because you arent putting all your weight on your foot - its supported in the water.

Never give up, try to think of the positive side of things. There is a positive side to things its just normal to think of the negative side of things (i treat it as a death as i went through similar emotions to losing someone close).

Hope you get things sorted and the meds you are given work for you. Once you have them sorted you will feel loads better.
    Jakib0644.gif
  • craigp
    thanx for the replys :smile:
    i managed to get half day holiday today from work and tried to see my dr but no apointments till the 18th july so decided on going to my local walk in centre the pain has been unbarable this morning going over on my ankle yet again :evil she has given me some ibuprofen gel to rub on 3times aday and to take paracetomols(oops spelling) lol hopefully it may help a little till i can get in to see my dr properly she also adviced i take the rest of the week off work :green so its not all bad may even be able to stand in the river with my wellys on and have a bit of a fish the cold water really seemed to help a little other day till i got out :lol:
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi Craig

well you have started the ball rolling haven't you? well done.

I hope the meds help a little and you GO fishing it will do you good mentally as well as maybe physically

Love

Toni xx