chronic pian symdrone

jac1566
jac1566 Member Posts: 12
edited 6. Jul 2011, 05:50 in Living with Arthritis archive
:???: i have been told i have chronic pain symdrone and oa. can someone please tell me how the two condishions are linked together

Comments

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    not sure but would think it to do with how you are reacting to the oa pain that is causing chronic pain syndrome but could be wrong only my guess val
    val
  • liesa
    liesa Member Posts: 821
    i was sent to see the chronic pain dr sometime ago and as i have so much pain down the side of my tkr they werent sure what was causing so much pain, well the dr said it was nerve pain after the surgery, he put me on brutrans morphine patches, didnt do to much, tried the gabapentin and pregabalin whilst under his care but they didnt do anythng...
    love and hugs
    8997C823B17A6252CBCA252F4BF2932D.png
  • okidoki
    okidoki Member Posts: 29
    hi, some doctors call it chronic pain symdrone, some fibromyalgia. i was tolled after 3 month of constant pain i had fibro. already had the OA.
  • LoneGunman
    LoneGunman Member Posts: 25
    Hi Jac1566

Chronic pain is basicaly constant pain it dose not stop, and has more to do with the nervs misfiring and sending conflicting messages to the brain, unfortanly there is no real cure.

Its not all doom and gloom there are ways to help control chronic pain, from simple exersises like streching and relaxation to useing a TENS Unit, I have lived with chronic pain for a long time and have used the above methods which have helped, the Tens units do work you just have to experiment with the pads and the settings a bit to find the right place and voltage.

I now have a nuro stimulator inplant which is a far more advanced version of a tens unit eccept this is placed directly to the out side the spinal cord and the battery and brains of the unit are placed under the surface of the skin and is controled by a remote control unit this has worked fairly well but it is still not a cure and I still have to use pain meds but it has had a big impact on my life as I can do more than i used to.

Hope this is of help.

Tony
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Hi Jac, As the others have said Chronic Pain Symdrone is another word for Fibroymiagia, I have Fibro & Osteo-porosis, alot of people have Fibro with another disease in the Arthritis family. Hope all the messages you have recieved have helped. bubbadog....
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    I reckon you are not alone on here at any rate Jac

You are very very welcome.

What are you trying for your pain and where is it? Not being intrusive l hope because it helps us to support each other.

Love

Toni xx
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    I've got it and it's not much fun, what happens is ( so I was told) is you will have suffered a trauma or some kind of damage that has given your pain monitoring section of your brain a constant supply of signals. A lot of CP people have cervical spondylosis I fall into this group sadly.
    This over stimulation feeds this part of the brain so it becomes hyper sensitive and can grow over many years this is the first part of it; your brain is now wired up like a hair trigger ready like a spider in a web..
    Then what happens is you'll normally have had some other pain stimulation that kind of overloads the receptors and bingo orrible persistent pain. Also more importantly your nerve wiring network has more than one pathway, main nerves are your A roads or a direct pain route, this section of your wiring will respond to pain killers, but Chronic pain is on all levels B and C nerve pathways and these secondary nerve routes don't respond to analgesia of any kind so your in trouble.on that score.
    They prescribe either trcyclids like Nortryptalin and or anti-epilepsy drugs either Pregabalin or Gabapentin, I have posted of another good pain killer for this problem is called Sativex but it is Cannabis based and only legal for MS suffers here and only from last month which is a cope out as it works well for CP.
    Other countries including most in the EU use it but we can't right now all we have are epilepsy drugs which I’m not fond of, sorry I digress, I take Gabapentin but only a low dose as it makes me very unwell but not as half bad as Pregabalin.
    You might find they work for you a lot of people are fine with them but if you feel really unwell then drop and hold the dose so you can build up the levels, I can't go over 3 Gabs a day, at that level they act like Prozac so I smile a lot!. Still got the pain though!
  • frogmorton
    I have just bought a book...recommended by Speedy l think....

(sorry if that's wrong Speedy) :oops: called workbook to trigger point therapy. It is great form the sort of muscular agonies...i have been having 'under-the shoulder-blade-ache'

and sent off for it...l am doing the trigger point business now on those bits and am amazed at the effect.

Pretty sure it's not going to help with the joint business, but....

THANK YOU SPEEDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Hi Peter I contacted the UK Fibro lot and they said both are similar illnesses and some say they are the same thing so I'm at a loss meself, I don't think no one really knows totally as pain illnesses have only recently been accepted as real by the medical lot, soom still don't even accept their existance. The only Rheumatologist I saw wasn't interested in my knees or the problems I said I have and the killers was that storng analgisics don't do any good yet this little nugget passed him by, he didn't even do any blood tests on me and I had physical symptoms of cervical spondulosys that day you would have thought these two things would have been a serious pointer but nope all he was interested in doing was injecting my neck as it was red at the time.
  • okidoki
    hi, with the fibro you live with it day in day out. never without some type of pain somewhere, anywhere.

someone said swimming is good for you, if i could move my arms enough i'd give it ago :grin:

pain clinic said ten's wont help, as the pain is wide spread.

the symptoms of fibro dont go away, maybe ease of a little but dont go away. funny how you dont mention fibro fog.
  • okidoki
    PPPeter wrote:
    okidoki wrote:
    hi, with the fibro you live with it day in day out. never without some type of pain somewhere, anywhere.

someone said swimming is good for you, if i could move my arms enough i'd give it ago :grin:

pain clinic said ten's wont help, as the pain is wide spread.

the symptoms of fibro dont go away, maybe ease of a little but dont go away. funny how you dont mention fibro fog.

Who is this post for? If it was for me Pain Clinic gave me my first TENS, I know that the pain doesn't go away I lived with it long enough to realise that and if you look at my posts you will see Fibro Fog is one of the reasons why I gave up college and a promising career in child education and why everything I have to do is on my computer, phone and in my diary. Swimming is good for fibro who said you have to move your arms, the warm water and floating on your back as meditation and the practically weightless is good enough. :)

it was for anyone, i cant swim, took over a year to join in here. i'll just look in and keep my comments to myself.
  • frogmorton
    Hi Okidoki

welcome to the forums from me.

Ther are a lot of people who come to the pool l swim in regulalry and they just 'walk through the water slowly and steadily. As far as l am concerned it's great - any kind of exercise has to be.

If you want to try l suggest you look for a pool which is fairly warm....our local council one lets people with disabilities use the 'baby' pool :wink: :oops:

Love

Toni xx

PS Peter that story about your heart bloke was terrible :evil not a nice man :evil
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 4. Jul 2011, 04:20
    okidoki's post wasn't 'for' anyone in particular, she/he was reflecting his/her experience of fibro. We are all different in how we are affected by the various versions of this dross that life chooses to throw at us, we are all at different stages, we have all tried different things to various effect. This forum is about feedback and information, people ask a question, others reply with their experiences. Some people find it easy talking to strangers, others don't. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Hello Jac

I am sorry you are struggling. I can't help with your specific question but I am thinking of you.

Love Tilly xxx
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Hello Okidoki and welcome from me too!

Please don't feel you can't post - everyone's contribution is valuable so please don't be put off by the occasional "snippy" response. I understand completely why it took time to have the courage to join in on the forum - I was the same because I have never done anything like this before. I'm so glad I did though.

Love Tilly xxx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hi Jac
    I think the others have said it all, I do hope you manage to get some relief very soon, chronic pain everyday must be so draining to say the least.
    And welcome to Okidoki...please dont think you cant post, we do like to discuss things on here, and your input is valued, and we all like to support one another.
    Peter, that was awful what the consultant said, I am glad you had your say, I do know that some GPs dont recognise Fibro, I think that something needs to be done about this, it must be horrible for people that have it, and cant get help
    Love
    Barbara
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    I'm a member of Fibro UK, Yep the pain with Fibro is pretty much always there causing pain different area's at different times! I've been suffering with blinding headaches alot I put them down to migraines caused by the sezuires I have (another ailment I have in my knackered body!) the proper name for what I have is non-epileptic sezuires. So it's intresting to learn that my headaches could be because of the CPS. Learn something new everyday!
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    PPPeter wrote:
    Hi I can now tell the difference when I relapse with Fibro and relapse with CPS, with fibro I am normally dizzy/lightheaded, problems with my bladder and pain.

CPS its just aaaaaarrrggggghhhhhhh holy ****, blinding headaches pain in my legs and shoulders, tears and vomiting.
    The arthoman said that fibro is very close to and can be falsely diagnosed as MS but CPS is more like the pain the a person will suffer with sever arthritis.

I know when I get hit with CPS no one comes near me and I have vomited with the pain being so bad, I have Diazepam but only two and I am just to take them in extreme cases as I have the 25mg Fentanyl patches. I am lucky that the occurrences of CPS are only about once or twice a month.

I was in hospital a few years ago for suspected heart attack and the cardio man was doing his rounds like a displaying peacock to the flock of students following his every word, I heard him outside my room and I will never forget what his said

"This man has been sent to us from his doctor suspect, heart attack, the gentleman suffers from arthritis, diabetes, is morbidly obese and claims that he has fibromyalgia, fibromyalgia is one of those illnesses dreamt up by medical companies to sell more drugs to the unsuspecting members of the public."

I was fuming, so when he came in he asked me some questions on which I was short with him, he told me that my doctor over reacted and said that I would be discharged.

He then asked if there was a problem. I said with a room full of students

" If you wish to make a fool of one of your patients, I do suggest that you don't do it outside their room, I will be making a full complaint and I will be mentioning you thoughts to Mr ******** the doctor who deals with my arthritis and fibromyalgia"

He could not get out my room quick enough, he left with students following behind and the very last student turned around to me and she gave me a smile and a thumbs up.

The cardio man came back about 15 minutes later and he could not apologise enough. I told the staff nurse who came to discharge me and she said that he has been warned about that before, he was threatened by the son of an old lady who was dying and he said that she was just acting up for the attention of her family and medical staff.

Now you know with people like that doctor how there is lack of treatment or cure for fibro and CPS.

GOOD ON YOU! This sounds like an old fashioned consultant, similar to the type from the 'Carry On' films. It takes guts to stand up and tell them what they've made you feel like, without losing your temper and putting yourself into the wrong. Well done, much better than I would have coped.Love
    Sue.xx