Hi I'm new :)

Melrymax
Melrymax Member Posts: 226
edited 11. Jul 2011, 17:51 in Young people's community
Hi, my name is mel and I am 24. I live just outside of chester I was diagnosed with OA when I was 23 after 7 years of complaining to the doctors that my hips are really painful and always clicking!

Now I have pain killers to help and take tramadol, paracetamol and diclofenic. Although after taking these I am still In pain so they aren't a massive help.

I have 2 children aged 2 and 4 which on bad days I feel absolutely awful that I can't do much with them. I am dreading things getting worse. I find that after Doing my physio exercises that I am meant to do twice a day. I am in agony the next day or so which means I am unable to do my physio as much as I am supposed to.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Mel and welcome to the forum. I'm sorry you needed to come here but I'm afraid it's happened to all of us.

Painkillers are a bit of a misnomer. They don't. They just make it more tolerable.

Maybe you could ask about a few more sessions with a physio to ensure you're doing the exercises correctly. They aim is to keep your muscles strong so that they support your joints properly. If you can't manage them regularly they will hurt as it's like starting from scratch every time. On the other hand, you don't want to risk further damage. A physio would be able to advise on this.

As for your children - there will be lots of things that you want to do with them as a Dad and it may well be that you just can't do several of these. However, what kids really want is your love and attention and arthritis need have no effect here. You just need to find different methods, different games, different ways of doing things.

You'd probably get more response if you posted this on the Living With Arthritis forum as far more people visit there regularly.

I do hope things aren't too bad for you today.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Melrymax
    Thanks for your reply :). I have physio every 2 weeks and been attending for about 3 months now.
    Today is a real bad day for me I was in town and burst out crying. I have had all my tablets and am in so much pain. I have a review with the gp this aft which my mum has kindly arranged for me.
    As for the kids. We have alot of cuddle up film time and do Lego/ play oh etc. It's days out and stuff that is my concern. I'm sure I'll get there. I have good support at home most the time although my husband doesn't quite realise how it is for me. I have had a slap on my wrist today and told to stop letting my pride get in the way :(. Hope your coping well x
  • stickywicket
    I see you've put this on the LWA forum, Mel, but, as I'm here now, I'll put this on here.

This is obviously a tough time for you and I'm glad you'll be seeing your GP who will be more practical help than we can be. Do try to make a list of all the stuff you'd like to ask because often it's the most important things we forget once we get into the surgery. (Don't worry. You won't be his/her only patient doing this.) It also helps to take someone with you to listen to replies as, again, it's a difficult situation to be remembering everything.

As for the exercises - your physio is the expert here. Be guided by him/her.

Husbands? Well, I guess they never do understand fully (How can they?) but, if you've got a good one who wants to help then keep him in the loop. It's tough on him too. Don't make him feel left out.

Pride? It'll get you a long way. Much better than giving in meekly but it's not giving in to tread water occasionally or to ask for much needed help. As for the days out - try borrowing a disability scooter or a wheelchair sometimes. They may open up new, pain-free(ish) environments.

Good luck with the appointment. Do let's know how you get on. I'll keep an eye open for you on the LWA forum.
    Steven Wright
  • Melrymax
    Hey. Am back from the docs and she said that she thinks it is inflammation around the fluid around the joint. Think she mean the synoval cavity is inflamed? Apparently the diclofenac should be sorting it out so she has given me naproxen. I haven't been this doped up in a long time I was falling asleep in the waiting area of the docs!;)
  • stickywicket
    Hopefully the Naproxyn will help, Mel. As for feeling doped up - I think that'll be the Tramadol. There's quite a lot been written on the subject on the LWA forum. I've never taken it but I've had both Diclofenac & Naproxyn & not felt drowsy on them.
    Steven Wright
  • lare73
    lare73 Member Posts: 154
    hi mel

hope your pain is easing.,
    my son has JIA and i have arthritis, lus 2 other children.
    i wanted to say, we swim, its fun, easy our joints and everyone joins in, its great! infact the physio said is the best thing for the condition as its non weight bearing, maybe rope hubby in and the four of you go for a splash! you'll laugh, get exercise and maybe even get some pain relief :wink:

take care
    c x
  • Ankyspond
    Ankyspond Member Posts: 626
    Hi,

This crap disease can be a constant juggle, take help if offered and listen to your body. Kids are understanding and will support you, as someone said swimming is greet, deft things, board games but most of all love and time is all they need!

I have AS And take few different things when your meds get sorted it will be better.

Thinking of you. Xx
    AS Sufferer
    Live, love and enjoy life, live each day as though it's your last!
  • loopylou94
    loopylou94 Member Posts: 24
    Hi Im Laura im 16 and i was diagnosed 5 months ago with pa. Im sorry to hear that you are in so much pain. When im having a particularly bad day i find that hot and cold packs help. WIsh i could be more help.
    loopy lou :)