Help...confused

dpkrr
dpkrr Member Posts: 11
Hello, looking for help!

For a number of years I have had joint problems... pain, swelling, stiffness etc.

I have been to the rheumatology clinc a few times and over the years have had more than one opinion on what the problem is. I was first thought to have ankylosing spondylosis then diagnosis was changed to spondarthritides (? not sure of spelling). Then another Dr said it was osteoarthritis. Now the doctors talk more of seronegative arthritis.

My bloods are normal, but GP says it can still be seronegative arthritis.

I am waiting to have an operation for trigger finger and was told I had a rheumatoid nodule on my finger... & also on my other hand. What are they?

This has gone on for a good few years now. I take varoius meds and have steroid injections. I find life difficult because of the limits of what I can do because of pain, stiffness, etc.

Any information would be great. Thanks

Comments

• tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I am a forum member not a member of the helpline team but just wanted to say "hello" and "welcome".

I am so sorry you are struggling so much, but you have come to the right place for support and advice. As you have discovered, arthritis can be very difficult to diagnose and there are several peeps on the forum whose experience is not dissimilar to yours.

What meds do you take? Do they help at all?

I know that someone from the helpline team will reply in due course but, in the meantime, I am sure that if you repost your message on the Living with Arthritis (LWA) forum you will get some helpful replies (most of us look there regularly).

Love Tillyxxx
  • dpkrr
    Hi Tilly,
    Thanks for advise, I have posted on LWA as well

I take Celebrex, zydol & have depro or kenalog (think that right spelling) injections & sometime prednisolone tablets.

Thanks for your reply x
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    Hi dpkrr

It is very confusing when doctors throw different diagnosis at you, however some types of arthritis can be difficult to diagnose because the symptoms overlap so much. In the hope of clarifying some of the confusion i hope you find the following link on sero negative arthritis helpful in understanding what the doctors have been saying: http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/Search/search_results_page_view?SearchableText=seronegative

More information from Arthritis Research UK
    http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis_information/arthritis_today_magazine/spring_2008/seronegative_spondyloarthopath.aspx

I know this is a difficult time so please feel free to give us a call if you would like to talk things through.

Best wishes

Simona
  • dpkrr
    Hi Simona
    many thanks for the web page links. I 'm working my way through them, & finding them helpful.
    Saw my GP last week & because of some of the blood results he thinks I should go back to rheumatology clinc.
    Still waiting on trigger finger op, having EMG(?) done to check for ulnar entrapment in wrist, Dr I saw confirmed to my GP about rheumatoid nodules on back of hand and elbow..what are these? feel like hard lumps!!

Again thanks for infor & help.
    Regards
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    Hi dpkrr

I'm glad you are finding the info useful and that you have been to see your doctor.

EMG=Electromyography. This detects the electrical activity produced by skeletal muscles and also detects abnormalities.

Regarding the hard lumps they could be a number of things like hardened tissue, fluid, or bony growths but it would probably be a good idea to ask you Dr what your growths are.

hope that helps

Simona
  • dpkrr
    Hello,
    Just a update on hosp visits!

I had the EMG done during the week, and they found a problem with my left arm, with nerve. Going to recommend that since I am having trigger finger on left hand sorted,that they deal with this at the same time.not sure what that involves yet. Also have appointment for rheumatology clinc, at start of Sept, was surprised how quickly it came through.

Regards, dpkrr