i have a problem.

dachshund
dachshund Member Posts: 8,899
edited 1. Aug 2011, 12:18 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi All.
i went up the hospital on tuesday had 3 exrays saw the consultant he said everythings all right i can now weight bear on my foot i have a new plaster green and a shoe its in plaster for another 6 weeks. i have had no pain since the op only had a ache
in the begining now that has gone.
the only problem i have is the plaster under my instep is thicker
to protect where i had the op and i have flat feet so when i walk
i feel this lump like a ball under my foot and it causes pain right through my foot so i'm not walking too much just from one place to the next. i can now use my scoota.
any idea's needed i know feet can be painfull.
sorry to go on. i hope everyone's had a good day.
joan xx
take care
joan xx

Comments

• traluvie
    traluvie Member Posts: 2,579
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Joan..

Sorry i can't be of much help, but i wanted to send you best wishes and hope you feel better soon..
    (((((X)))))
    th_tn_TisFORTIGGER.jpgxxTracyxx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Oh dear, Joan! It was all going so well, wasn't it? But there's usually a bit of a blip somewhere after an operation and it looks like you might have hit it.

I have flat feet too. I think I'd be tempted to put all my weight on the other leg and walk on the heel of the operated foot as far as possible but I imagine that's not really a good idea.

maybe you could contact either the surgeon or physio and ask them for ideas? Have you been left with a helpline number for physio? They might be able to help. I hope so.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dachshund
    Thank you Traluvie Stickyw.
    when i had the plaster put on the physio was there and when i said she said to take painkillers and i dont want to be cause its not my foot its the plaster i asked if i could have some of it took off from where it hurt she said it has to be like that.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • stickywicket
    I'm sorry, Joan. To me, it looks like that's the price you have to pay. I wish it were otherwise and hope someone else can come up with something better. Use the scooter as much as possible and take painkillers for walking. I know it's the plaster that's hurting you but the end result is the same - a painful foot.
    Steven Wright
  • dachshund
    Thank you Stickw.
    yes i'm pleased with my foot as my big toe is now straight and the bones in my foot have been fused and i have my
    ap for the 6 sept.
    thank you for your help. joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    Hi there

Only a temporary solution, but could you use crutches for a time so when you put your foot down it is not fully down.

Karen xx
    Karen xx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hi Joan
    I can only imagine how uncomfortable that must be, I really wish I could help...Im just glad you have your scooter...how long will it be like this before they change it....
    wishing you well with it...and I do hope the end result make a big difference to you.
    Love
    Barbara
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Oh joan it is such a shame that you now have a different problem with your foot. You have been so patient and was looking forward to weight bearing again. I am sorry I have no solution for you but I hope you find away to get around with not too much pain.

Take care
    Juliepf x
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Hi Joan,
    Sorry that you are having to put with the pain I was going to say go back to the clinic and ask them to change it for you, but that looks unlikely to happen. It does seem such a pity as I know you where looking forward to being able to get about more. Is there more than one physio in the department?
    How disappointing for you Joan, I hope it eases off for you soon.
    Lv, I x
  • magenta
    magenta Member Posts: 1,604
    Hiya,

This may sound daft! What about cushioning the area around the bump with foam ( or sponge)? Cut a hole around where the bump is and when you put your foot down there is something 'there' to take some of the weight. Mind you, don't know if I would go outside with it on :smile:

Magenta x
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    why can they not build up the rest of the pot to take pressure off this area i do not know much about it as you can tell do hope it sorted soon val
    val
  • rugbygirl
    rugbygirl Member Posts: 691
    I understand that things have to be a certain way for your recovery but surely if the plaster is causing you pain and you are not fully weight bearing on it then it is not going to help.

I would try ringing the physio and explaining that because of the plaster you are unable to walk comfortably and you are not weight bearing on it. You need to make sure that you are comfortable.

I hope you get this sorted out and I am sending you lots of ((((((hugs)))))))
    Jakib0644.gif
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello Joan
    Im just checking uo on you, to see if you are getting on any better with the cast...and to say i am thinking you xxxx
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    Me too, Joan. I keep racking my feeble brain cells (plus those of Mr SW) and neither of us have come up with anything yet. I'm still on your case, though.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. I suspect that the plaster has to be shaped that way to take any extra stress or pressure away from the operated bit, oh Joan, what a blasted nuisance. I am so sorry, I guess the only answer is to try to keep off it as much as you can. Not much help, I know, I apologise. :oops: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • dachshund
    Thank you everyone for your kind words.
    DD that makes sense.
    i go back up to see consultant 6 sept. thats not to long and i can get to my scoota and go out i still hop i think thats the best.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • dachshund
    Thank you Karen i cannot walk with crutches at the moment as my balance is not good i have a zimmer frame.
    thank you Julie Magenta Ironic Val Rugbygirl Barbara Stickyw.
    for trying to help.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Hi Joan, it must be so annoying to have come so far and then have the plaster making walking difficult.

I have flat feet that turn inwards as a result of having wonky hips for so long. The orthotist gave me insoles and they were really uncomfy at first. I was instructed to break them in gradually and increase how long I kept them in my shoe a little each day. You however are stuck with the plaster. What I'm trying to say is, it may ease over the next 6 weeks. I think you are right to still use your scooter as much as possible and I would use your crutches when you need to as well. However, with a bit of luck you will not be so uncomfortable as your foot adjusts.

Oh how annoying, you poor thing.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Joan,

I don't know if its the same kind of thing but I had a horribly uncomfortable plaster when broke my foot and it really hurt so they did a new one and it was 100x better..... I wonder if there is anyway they could re-do yours?

It needs to do the job but also allow you to use the leg.... i think I would ring fracture clinic and tell they its really awkward and hurting and hopefully they could re-do it with slight modification? Might be worth a try.

mind if they do it don't half hurt when they take it off before its re plastered up.

Hope it will get easier for you and Hi to Sue. Love and a ((((( ))))) with a side dish of hope and a cuppa Cris xx
  • dachshund
    Thank you Speedy and Cris.
    've been back to the hospital and they said they cannot do anything.
    Cris i know i've had the plaster changed i have green now.
    i use the zimmer frame to get to my scoota still hopping around.
    thank you take care both of you.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • stickywicket
    I'm really sorry they can't do anything, Joan, but I know you will cope and, in a few weeks time, it will all be worth it. Take care.
    Steven Wright