Thought I would Share this with you

Options
julie47
julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
edited 29. Jul 2011, 12:18 in Community Chit-chat archive
On saturday my OH and I are going to visit our son in laws grandma.
Lisa and Charlie asked us if we would like to go along with them as charlies grandma had invited us to dinner too.

That got me thinking.....What should I take aas a thankyou gesture?

Well I have bought her a lovely box of chocs but something made by me would be a good Idea too.

Sooooo. I decided to make a malt loaf that MY grandma used to make and it is delicious. She and grandad both lived on the Isles of Scilly for many years until they have now both passed away. But this recipe brings baack lovely memories of the holidays I spent there visiting them.

From a cornish recipe book dated 1968

10oz SR Flour
1 Cup sugar
1 Cup Milk
2 table spoons black treacle
A litttle dried fruit. (i always use sultanas)

Simply mix ingredients together. Put in a greased 2lb loaf tin
Into a preheated oven gas 4 ......elec 180
Cook for 30 mins on low shelf
THEN place a piece of greaseproof paper over the top and cook for a further 45 mins

Then Enjoy :grin:
I don't always spread margarine on a slice but my oh does.

Juliepf x

Comments

• joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    That sounds really delicious, Julie. I think that your son-in-law's grandma will be very pleased to receive the malt loaf. I will write down the recipe and try making it myself as it's very easy, so thank you for posting it.

My daughter's father-in -law, aged 88, enjoys baking cakes and he always bakes one for me whenever we meet up. It's such a nice present to receive because I know that he made it specially for me.

Joan :grin:
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    Sounds lovely hun.... I'm useless at baking, can not get timing right at all.. Lol

Hope that you have a great time and that everyone enjoys the malt loaf.
    :grin:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Julie what a lovely idea, and I am sure they will appreciate the trouble you have gone to.....now Im off to make it...I love malt loaf so thankyou for that.. :grin:
    Love
    Barbara
  • NinaKKang
    NinaKKang Member Posts: 663
    Options
    What a lovely idea! I'm fortunate in that I don't have to bake anymore - my eldest daughter loves baking and so does all that whenever we visit someone :D

Another good idea is getting my girls to do art work for someone we're visiting - we do it to Joan Lawson all the time when we visit her and her OH, costs me nothing in time or money and brings a lovely smile to their faces :D

Nxx
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Thats a great idea.....I dont bake much now that my kids have flown the nest but that sounds easy and yummy

Love
    Hileena
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    NinaKKang wrote:
    What a lovely idea! I'm fortunate in that I don't have to bake anymore - my eldest daughter loves baking and so does all that whenever we visit someone :D

Another good idea is getting my girls to do art work for someone we're visiting - we do it to Joan Lawson all the time when we visit her and her OH, costs me nothing in time or money and brings a lovely smile to their faces :D

Nxx

The lovely art work is very much appreciated, Nina. I'm getting quite a collection now and just think :!: it could be worth a fortune one day when your girls are famous :grin:

Joan
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Hello Joan,Barbara,Hileena, Nina and tony I am really pleased you liked the Idea and really, if you do try the recipe I hope you thouroughly enjoy it.

Joan your daughters fil is lovely to make you a cake when you meet up and knowing that you appreciate it has given me confidence for giving charlies grandma mine, (she is in her 80s)
    And how kind is it of ninas children to give you art work? I think that is lovely too

Juliepf x
  • constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    Options
    Yep, I think it is a lovely idea. I Have never been any good at cooking. Wish I was, Hubby used to do all of it, now I have started to try, but it's my timing and after many years of not cooking confidence in the kitchen.

Karen xx
    Karen xx
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Karen
    I know where you are coming from....when the kids were little i used to cook...Peter was away working a lot but I never liked it and he loves it and with so long not cooking now I've lost the confidence.....Wish i hadnt let hime take over quite as much

Love
    Hileena