One week to go !!

weejean
weejean Member Posts: 346
edited 1. Aug 2011, 07:08 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have just had a phone call from my surgeons secretary to confirm that my bi-lateral THR surgery is definately going ahead next Friday. To be honest I am a nervous wreck and as always turn to you guys for advice and support. I act very brave and positive in front of all my friends and family but deep down I am so scared and feel that I could burst into tears at any moment. Sorry for being such a baby about things but I know its okay to be honest about my feelings on here.
Big Hugs
Jean xx

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Can you pinpoint what's worrying you, weejean? It's a very safe op with very good results but maybe it's not that that's bothering you.

My general pre-op rules:

1. Don't think about it.
    2. Don't watch any news items or programmes about hospitals.
    3. Don't go near anyone with snuffles. (My sister was due for the weekend once before one of mine. When she rang she was sneezing like mad. "You don't mind, do you?" "Yes" I said "I do." Be firm.)
    4. Do stuff you enjoy.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Morning weejan

I can imagine your nervousness as I too am waiting for surgery (not the same type) and I am still waiting for a date.
    You now know that it is to go ahead next week so its good that you are no longer in limbo.

I will be ready for pocket duty if needed.
    And all the best for the operation.

Love Juliepf x
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,899
    Hi Weejean.
    try not to worry think your pain will be better i hope.
    i will do pocket duty as well.
    take care. joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    weejean wrote:
    I have just had a phone call from my surgeons secretary to confirm that my bi-lateral THR surgery is definately going ahead next Friday. To be honest I am a nervous wreck and as always turn to you guys for advice and support. I act very brave and positive in front of all my friends and family but deep down I am so scared and feel that I could burst into tears at any moment. Sorry for being such a baby about things but I know its okay to be honest about my feelings on here.

this what we are here for you can pretend to all the others but you can come here and tell it as it is we will be here for you and in you pocket for op (what is it sorry but did not understand not had any) hugs val
    val
  • constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    Hi there

I think that you need to have a damn good cry, really have a good cry get it of your chest. Of course your scared I was and I had the one THR. Try and remember that this is being done to make your life more pain free with more mobility. Think of what you will be able to do once you are all healed up.

I really believe that if you feel like you want to cry, let it out to a friend to hubby. Try it.

I shall keep thinking of you and sending you hugs of comfort.

Karen xx
    Karen xx
  • weejean
    Thanks Sticky I will take your advice, have kept busy today with some housework etc and am going to lunch and shopping with my mum and sister tomorrow so I will really enjoy that.

Julie I really feel for you as its not good always wondering when your surgery will be. I hope you find out soon and everything goes well for you.

Joan I cant really imagine not having pain in my hips and being able to move them, it will make such a big difference in my life if the op goes well. I will have so much to look forward to.

Val I am having both my hips replaced and thanks for your support.

Karen you are so right and earlier on today I did have a good cry and felt much better afterwards. My husband is so understanding and always tells me just to let everything out and there is no shame in crying.

Thanks again to all of you for your advice and support, it really means a lot to me.
    Big Hugs
    Jean xx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    hi weejean
    Please dont worry about talking to us lot, thats what we are here for, just wait till im having mine.....I am a wreck and havnt booked it in yet :eek:
    Like someone said try to do things you enjoy...and take your mind off it has much as poss.
    I suppose you are doing this already, when its my turn..I will think about the people on here that have had so much relief from it..
    We will all be there for you and will be sending our best good vibes....
    Will be thinking about you xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Hi Jean,
    Well I think you have done really well keeping it together. Of course you are scared anyone would be. Just take one day at a time, have your cry and then a big sniff and plan what treat you want to aim for when you are in recovery. The other side is in sight and we will be all here to cheer you on.
    Sending you good vibes and a big box of tissues.
    Gentle hugs,
    Lv, I x
  • weejean
    Hi Barbara, I am planning a few things for next week to keep me busy, I am going to have a nice day out with hubby and a family dinner. Its good to hear from others who have had surgery and it has been sucessful and beneficial to them, I hope very soon that I will be the one giving advice on how well my surgery went.

Ironic, what a good idea to plan a special treat for my recovery, I will definately give it some thought.

It feels so good to know you guys will all be thinking of me and that you will be there for me to talk to during my recovery.
    Big Hugs
    Jean xx
  • valval
    do not forget to get your hair sorted before you go in it grows so fast you do not want it getting on your nerves when you can not get and get it sorted val
    val
  • weejean
    Val, I am going on Tuesday to have a cut and colour as my hair is quite long and the grey is showing. Going to get it all thinned out so that it is a lot more manageable. A very good piece of advice as its not something you would think about and it really gets us ladies down when our hair is a mess.
    Big Hugs
    Jean xx
  • valval
    so glad you got it all in hand know how it bugs when it growing to much and you will not feel like sitting there while they sort it for a while we will be with you do not worry picknic hampers and all the bus is packed ready
    p065.gif
    so we can all make it save a bed next to you for us all and have giant pockets val
    val
  • weejean
    Thanks Val, your post really made me smile. My pockets will be enormous to fit everyone in xx
    Big Hugs
    Jean xx
  • constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    Hi there

Just to let you know I'm still thinking of you. I also will be on that bus on friday, but warn the other patients that I do rather snore, Badly. So ear plugs all round I think.

Karen xx
    Karen xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Focus on the prize of much less pain combined with greatly enhanced mobility. Yes, there is the small matter of an op and a few months recuperation to be done first but, once that is all finished your life should be so much better. Not much wrong with that prospect, is there?

I am an oddity. I love having surgery as it is meant to make things better, it is meant to improve the quality of life, it is meant to reduce pain, it is meant to help. I am always profoudly grateful for the fact that I am rendered unconcious throughout - far better to have these ops now than a couple of hundred years ago! I can, however, understand, your apprehension and butterflies: we will be with you, all the way - would Mr WJ consider giving us updates on your progress until you can get back to us? We will be thinking of you, very much. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Oh Weejean,

it is normal to feel as you do. Keep busy, get super organised. Do things you might not be able to straight after your op.
    Search the forum for THR threads and read how much better you feel afterwards.

Focus on the fact after the first fortnight - you will be in a LOT less pain than you are and in fact even straighy after the op that deep bone pain will have gone! Before you know it you will be working on your physio and getting your life back!

I can't believe I put mine off for so long.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • weejean
    Karen dont worry about the snoring, I am used to it as my husband snores like a pig, it will be comforting :)

Dreamdaisy, what surgery have you had? You are so right about being glad that I will be sound asleep throughout the op. Imagine what it was like hundreds of years ago, I think I would ask someone to hit me over the head so I would be knocked out. I have put this surgery off for years and have forgot what its like to move my hips, my legs are kinda stuck together and I only move from the knee down. I cant really walk, its more like a shuffle but the physio assures me that with hard work my legs will move again. This is a very exciting prospect and I have started to make a list of all the things I want to do once I have recovered (some of them are probably a bit stupid but its the simple things that you miss). I am hoping to get online in hospital as you are allowed to take your mobile phone in but my Hubby will keep you updated until I am able to.

Speedy, I am a bit scared of the pain and stuff after the op but I know it wont last too long and I can get my life back.

Thanks to everyone for your support, it really means a lot to me xx
    Big Hugs
    Jean xx
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Hi Weejean, I know the feeling you must have at this minute but it willnot help when you have your final checks and if if your blood pressure is high they csn't operate. So try and keep as calm as you can I know it's hard. I will make sure I'm in your pocket for the day. It will soon be over I 'll wish you well but I'm sure everything will be ok. Big ((HUGS)) . Amanda/bubbadog.
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Morning weejean

I hope you had a lovely week-end and I am just here to say i am still thinking of you. I will also be in the queue for that bus.

Juliepf x
  • weejean
    Amanda, I am trying to stay calm and my husband is taking me for a day out on Wednesday so that should take my mind off things for a while. Thanks for your support.

Julie, I had a good weekend, had a lovely lunch with my family and friends on Saturday and gave the house a good clean yesterday so I feel more organised now. Having a quiet day today, a lovely meal with hubby and kids tomorrow and then a nice day out on Wednesday. I am keeping busy so that I dont have time to get too nervous. Its good to know you will be with me in spirit and I appreciate all the support and good wishes.
    Big Hugs
    Jean xx
  • valval
    the only trouble having this lot in your pocket is they can not help popping out for a look around they get up to all sorts of mischief and who you going to blame the pocket dwellers who going to believe that so remember it mr nobody who turned telly's up pressed buttons on beds causing that mardy patient in corner to fall out of bed and ate all the sweets not to mention drank all the tea.
    good luck will not tell you not to worry but remember you are not alone val
    val
  • weejean
    valval wrote:
    the only trouble having this lot in your pocket is they can not help popping out for a look around they get up to all sorts of mischief and who you going to blame the pocket dwellers who going to believe that so remember it mr nobody who turned telly's up pressed buttons on beds causing that mardy patient in corner to fall out of bed and ate all the sweets not to mention drank all the tea.
    good luck will not tell you not to worry but remember you are not alone val

This really made me laugh out loud :lol: I dont feel alone now that I have all you guys, thanks so much :grin:
    Big Hugs
    Jean xx