Anaemia + Arthritis

liesa
liesa Member Posts: 821
edited 31. Jul 2011, 05:32 in Living with Arthritis archive
apparently my Dr told me few weeks ago that ablood test i had in march showed i was anaemic, he arranged another test also came back last week i am anaemic...
he has put me on some iron medication and everytime i take it i feel so ill... i last had one of the 2 aday i need on thusday night, i felt so lousy all day yesterday with stomach cramps and feeling sick... my Dr is away for a fortnights holiday so will seak to him when hes back, (i prefer to stick to the one Dr nstead of letting 3 different Drs sort the problems)
I've got up in the usual pain and stiffness with most joints and feel lousy again.... i feel tired all day long i've just about had enough... do any of you know what else i can take to help myself?? not nessacarily tablets...
sitting here all tearieyed yet again....
love and hugs
8997C823B17A6252CBCA252F4BF2932D.png

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I can't remember what sort of arthritis you have, Liesa. Mine's RA and I know anaemia is common with it. Also some of the meds can cause it. On the very few occasions I've had it a simple course of iron has cleared it up.

But.....iron tablets can play havoc with the stomach. They should always be taken with food. If you've not been given the enteric coated ones they're what you need.

I'd have no qualms about seeing a different doc. Far better than damaging your stomach or letting the anaemia get worse. It should be a very simple matter of prescribing a different sort of iron pills. All the best.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • liesa
    thanks stickywicket
    the drs didnt let me know in march i was anaemic so i think it will be ok to wait, i cant take them again they make me feel rough, having bad nights with my knee and hip and back so dont need the sick feeling and stomach cramps on top... just wondering if there was something, i know some veggies have iron in them oh and liver so may go get some later to try help

oh and i know i have Polyarthritis, but some Drs say RA and another has said OA but that is just because i had a knee replaced 4 years ago,
    I tried the tablets with food and still plays me up :???:
    love and hugs
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Iron rich foods include water cress, walnuts, pilchards, liver, oh there must be a fair few more but my brain is mush. Have a look on tinterweb, there must be all kindsa lists on there! I had a spell of iron tablets and again was lucky in that they caused no trouble whatsoever, I think I had three a day for six months but added some extra things to my diet to help. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • liesa
    thanks DD, dont know why i didnt think of that... but feel so miserable cant think of anything
    love and hugs
  • dreamdaisy
    It's difficult to remember even the basics when one is in the mire. Arm yourself with as much info as you can and let's hope you can start to boost those levels sooner rather than later. DD
  • liesa
    bought myself some milk stout... mmmmm not lol
    love and hugs
  • dreamdaisy
    OK, that's a start. I know my Guiness intake increases but only in the Rugby Union season. :smile: Do some research but also be gentle with yourself. Our lives are not easy, it can take a while to sort out what is the best for us. I wish you well. DD
  • liesa
    thankyou DD xxx
    love and hugs
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    broclli is also good dark green veg usually have plenty good luck val
    val
  • liesa
    thanks Val xxx
    love and hugs
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Milk stout's a good idea on two fronts, Liesa, because I've just remembered that, when you eat iron rich foods, you shouldn't swill them down with a cup of tea as it somehow makes the body not absorb the iron. So, milk stout it'll have to be!
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • liesa
    thanks SW i have seen that, very strange me thinks...lol
    but its ok with orange juice...
    i enjoyed 2 cans last night only little ones.... i need to do something because i feel so low, cant get into action... house needs cleaning but i dont have the energy to do it... everywhere just looks a tip... :cry:
    love and hugs