Heartburn

katknapp
katknapp Member Posts: 709
edited 1. Aug 2011, 11:54 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all,ive been suffering with chronic heartburn past few days,the trouble is im on sulfasalazine so i dont think i can use regular over the counter heartburn tablets unless anyone else has used anything else while on these?or has anyone got any ideas to get rid of it bearing in mind its the weekend,i cant sleep its awful

Comments

• dotty123
    dotty123 Member Posts: 122
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I wouldn't know what to suggest other than speak to your doctor asap. I get heartburn and I can fully understand how bloody nasty it is. Mine tends to come on with stress and nothing can get rid of it. I hate taking pill's but you really should speak to the doctor.
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    have you asked pharmacist they usually know val
    val
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hi Kat
    I agree with Val, you would be better asking your pharmacist, I hope it eases very soon.
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I'm with Val & Babara. Find your nearest duty chemist. The pharmacist will know.

Foods to avoid - anything spicey, fatty or acidic (eg tomatoes, strawberries), coffee, alcohol, anything at all within an hour or two before bed.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • sugarbuttie
    sugarbuttie Member Posts: 225
    I started with heartburn last year & was disgnosed with gastritis following an endoscopy. I think mine was caused by NSAIDS (ibuprofen/diclofenic/naproxen) because I was taking the max doses over long periods with nothing to protect my stomach (I was never advised that I had to!). Anyway, I was put on lansoprazole & no longer take these NSAIDS. My gastritis has cleared up but I sometimes get the odd bout of heartburn. For this I take ranitadine, which you can get over the counter. The brand name is Zantac. You can buy it cheaply in Body Care. This (for me) is better than gaviscon / rennies & all of that stuff (which just neutralises the acid).

Ranitidine (zantac) stops exess acid being produced in the first place. Over the counter, it comes in 75mg tablets. I get mine on prescription & my tablets are 150mg, so double the over the counter dose.

I would get yourself to any chemist, large supermarket or Body Care & get yourself some of these to 'kill the fire' as they say. If you are still having probs after a week or so, I would see GP to establish what the cause might be. The usual advice applies in the meantime....no large fatty meals before bed etc.

Please let us know how you get on. Heartburn / acid reflux is horrible - you have my sympathy - I spent most of last year suffering with it!!

Added by Moderator YEH
    It is important to get medical advice before taking any meds to check for interactions with current meds and to eliminate any unwanted side effects
  • sugarbuttie
    sugarbuttie Member Posts: 225
    PS - I too am on sulphasalazine & the tablets I recommended are fine with them.
  • katknapp
    katknapp Member Posts: 709
    Thanks all,normally im on omeprazole which the doctor gave me but i had run out,my nieghbour recommended baking powder in water and by then i was desparate and it actually worked :shock: she also said to eat an apple or pineapple which can also help i wasnt up to trying them but next time in the interest of science i will have a go and let you all know lol