Acessing Medical Records

elainebadknee
elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
edited 18. Aug 2011, 10:39 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi

Im trying to obtain some of my medical records and not the ones from when i go to see the consultant and then he writes to my gp to tell outcome of that appointment...Im looking for the following:-

1. Had arthroscopy last march it made my osteochondritis dessicans worse and need a new knee...Got a take it or leave it kind offer or removal of kneecap which didnt have any info given to me so left it...
2. The above surgeon states he has helped me as much as he can - seen me several times (I dont count 2 as several)...I want to clarify this.
3. He has now said my knee is not bad enough for TKR and he knew this upon operating (funny he never said this before).....
4. Was it him who operated on me, i didnt speak to him on recommendation for arthroscopy, before or after op it was another person....

Now ive been told by ICAS to phone PCT trust but as im on benefits cant afford possible £50 to obtain these however nobody can tell me what cost will be...Have been given another pct trust legal dept who never return calls...Also been to CAB who say write to them and if cost comes back too high write to local MP.....

All this has left me feeling like the proverbial pinball in the machine and its all delaying tactics...ICAS dont seem to help much at all, advice is very vague and practically non exisitent, a phone call every 2 weeks suggesting what to do....

Im really fed up with this but dont want to drop my complaint against this surgeon as he really fobbed me off....Im also a bit low cos weight loss has struck a placebo was at 110kg and now at 100kg.....Went to another gym yesterday and couldnt go on 98% of equipment so was so disappointed and can hardly walk today.....I guess its just getting to me a bit....I know it shouldnt but it has...

Elainex

Comments

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    think cost varys some one here in worksop paid £20 has your hospital got pals group that could advise you val
    val
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hi Elaine
    Sorry Iv not a clue on this one, but I would be interested to know, I thought it was free, should have known better.
    Good Luck with it.
    Love
    Barbara
  • rugbygirl
    rugbygirl Member Posts: 691
    Hi Elaine

I dont have a clue about this either but I hope you do get the results that you need.

I thought that you were entitled to your hospital records at a minimal cost as part of the data protection act. You have the right to those records so they shouldnt be charging astronomical fees.

Dont feel bad about not being able to lose weight at the moment. Have you tried going swimming?? I know that when you are losing weight you need to change your food intake because what was working two weeks ago wont necessarily work now as you have lost weight and you have reached the point that you are burning the same amount of calories that you are putting in. Give yourself a break from dieting for a couple of days and then re-think your food intake. Change the amount or freqency and you will soon be losing weight again.
    Jakib0644.gif
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi Elaine
    No i dont have a clue either but I would be interested to know......I was always under the impression it was free.
    Is it like other things.....some areas are free {or minimal charge} and others arent?
    Good luck. Hope you sort it out soon...
    As for your weight...everyone losing weight that I know of hits a plateau at one time or other and can stick there for quite a while. Dont let that worry you. Sorry this isnt much help......
    Love
    Hileena
  • elainebadknee
    Hi Val

£20 is still a bit steep......Pals arent much use..

Elainex
    valval wrote:
    think cost varys some one here in worksop paid £20 has your hospital got pals group that could advise you val
  • elainebadknee
    Hi

I think these should be, hardly top secret are they?

Elainex
    barbara12 wrote:
    Hi Elaine
    Sorry Iv not a clue on this one, but I would be interested to know, I thought it was free, should have known better.
    Good Luck with it.
  • elainebadknee
    Hi Jaki

I dont know but they sure as hell make it hard to get hold of these things...

Re food intake well I am eating less, morning is a bowl of cereal followed by cup of tea, lunch is soup followed by go ahead bar, tea is chicken and veg then yogurt after...Does that mean I have to forego the yogurt or go ahead bar cos Im hardly overeating????I swim twice a week, gym once and walk every day for 30 mins at a time...

Elainex
    rugbygirl wrote:
    Hi Elaine

I dont have a clue about this either but I hope you do get the results that you need.

I thought that you were entitled to your hospital records at a minimal cost as part of the data protection act. You have the right to those records so they shouldnt be charging astronomical fees.

Dont feel bad about not being able to lose weight at the moment. Have you tried going swimming?? I know that when you are losing weight you need to change your food intake because what was working two weeks ago wont necessarily work now as you have lost weight and you have reached the point that you are burning the same amount of calories that you are putting in. Give yourself a break from dieting for a couple of days and then re-think your food intake. Change the amount or freqency and you will soon be losing weight again.
  • elainebadknee
    Oh heck...Wish hadnt read that but i wouldnt even entertain anything like that...It should be free....

Elainex
    delboy wrote:
    There is no ‘flat rate’ fee to receive information and in many cases the information will be provided to you free of charge.
    An authority can refuse a request if it estimates that it will cost them in excess of the appropriate cost limit to fulfil your request. The limit is £600 for central government and Parliament and £450 for other public authorities.

The cost bit -

Where the limit is not exceeded, the only charges that can be passed to you are those associated with providing the information, for example photocopying and postage. These are collectively known as disbursements.

I would ask for a cost breakdown to see if they are withiin the law.
  • jules44
    jules44 Member Posts: 26
    My medical records from my GP surgery were initially £50, when i requested an update the cost was £7 the cost was the admin and photocopying, the charge is usually related to the volume of information that is to be copied, however for the cost of hospital records I think it is the same, as I recall it cost me £50 for my late grandfathers records.
    I agree that the information should be free, but they usually quote £50 to cover their "Admin" costs for the first set of copies and less for any further copies/updates required.
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Sorry this is a bit late but I was browsing through the forums and this caught my eye.

I had to pay £50 for my medical records but I was told you can sit with a member of staff and look at them. The charge is for photocopying and postage. If you just want to read them, you may be able to but it seems like you will have to pay if you want a copy.
  • elainebadknee
    Hi

Well i dont have spare £50 so i am going to request that i can make my own notes after seeing records...This is about you so i feel it should be minimal cost the nhs make too much money elsewhere!!!

Elainex
    Starburst wrote:
    Sorry this is a bit late but I was browsing through the forums and this caught my eye.

I had to pay £50 for my medical records but I was told you can sit with a member of staff and look at them. The charge is for photocopying and postage. If you just want to read them, you may be able to but it seems like you will have to pay if you want a copy.