Grr lumps and bumps

Options
dotty123
dotty123 Member Posts: 122
edited 1. Aug 2011, 07:20 in Living with Arthritis archive
I was just looking at my wedding photos taken 5 years ago and was shocked to see how lumpy my fingers have become in such a short time, luckily on the wedding unknown to me that things were to change.
I got one straight finger left grrr all my knuckles have enlarged and are painful and my right index finger sticks out like blackpool tower.
I had a lump removed back in February on the underneath of my middle finger ( which wasn't OA related ) and guess what it is growin back. I am so gutted, I got 2 new lumps on the palm of my hand attached to a tendon, so yet to find out how and where they came from. Is this normal for lumps to appear with OA ?

One unhappy lumpy lady
x

Comments

• skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Dotty,

Its often the case I am afraid but sometimes they can go as well..... depending....

I know what you mean though and wish I knew the what to say or the cure. Just remember you are still you and time changes us regardless of the arthritis in appearance only. Hang in there and next time your seen ask about the lumps and bumps cus they might be able to help. Leaving a ((( ))) and a hope flowr. Cris x
  • dotty123
    Options
    Thanks Chris guess I am being vain too sshh... but I can't help feeling down about my appearance and I try to hide my hands as much as I can, I dread to think how they gonna look in years to come and the tough times ahead. I want my straight slim fingers back.
    I need to get my rings made bigger too as I am struggling to get them on and off and I get really sore underneath them :( I feel like I am 92 not 42
  • skezier
    Options
    Hi Dotty,

Its nothing to do with vanity... this shift bone stuff takes so much from us and well i do understand.

My pain doc keeps telling me how ageing pain is.... I look that bad Dotty and well I think when we are down, hurting and feel like we's losing we notice how haggard we look... but ... bet I look older :lol:

I really have got premature aging and well flower with luck tomorrow will be a better day.

Oh the lumps though are worth mentioning cus sometimes they can hep. tea and a ((( ))) The old hagged one :wink: xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I don't have any lumps or bumps but I can understand your feeling so down about this. I think our ability to cope with this dross varies according to our moods, the more down we are (for whatever reasons) the more we find it all too much. Often people don't see what we think is so appallingly obvious but we don't know that. I don't know what the lumps are or what causes them but I hope someone can shed some light and find a remedy of some sort for you. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    hi i know where you are coming from it such a shock when we realise just how much our hands have changed but try to remember how ever much they change you will still be you and we love having you as part of the forum ((())) to help you val
    val
  • dotty123
    Options
    Thank you for your kind words, its nice to natter with people who are in the same boat. At the moment I am being selfish and feel sorry for myself, I hate feeling like this and I hate how my body is changing. I miss doing all the stuff I used to do, I guess I was abit of Tom boy in a ladies body lol I loved DIY and gardening but it just takes it all out of me now, my body just doens't want anything other than rest at the moment.
    I took my son to London for a day out last Wednesday, I still ache today !! I feel dreadful :(

A big hug to you all xx you all are amazing people and my problems are pretty mild to some on here.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    We all need a little spot of self-pity from time to time, it helps us to deal with it all. I have lost so many abilities over the years and occasionally it makes me angry, I feel cheated of a 'proper' life but hey, what's one of those anyway? For some unknown reason even healthy people feel miserabl every now and again! Come and talk to us, we do know what it is like and there is no competition on here as to who is the worst affected. We all are. Simples. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • skezier
    Options
    Hi Dotty,

Right there with you over the lament of what you can no longer do but sometimes there are ways round things and you can still do some of the things you used to love?

Tilly has a post over on cc about gardening and you might find some useful bits about ways to get round things on there?

I had to modify my life a lot but still find ways round it..... though not as well as I used to be able to.

The fatigue thing.... its evil eh? Chris calls them duvet days and sometimes we need those as well.

One other thing... flower what ever is happening to others doesn't make what is happening to you less horrible. I haven't worded that very well but I am shaking my self up a bit with some heavy duty trance music :lol:

Hang in there, be kind to your self and get someone to look at the lumps cus honestly sometimes they can help. ((( ))) and a cure all cuppa Cris xx
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Dotty,
    I think we all feel like that at times.....I remember going to see the osteopath that I hadnt seen for a good few years and he said Oh your scoliosis is really bad and he made a couple of other comments......They were things i knew but because he told me them....{I suppose not having seen me for a few years it was more noticeable} I just drove home, sat down and cried......why???? I'm not sure because I knew these things were bad!!!
    As for the lumps I have a couple of large warts, one on index knuckle then the next finger has about 4 almost joined together and the next finge has one on the top joint.....been told it could be with OA because nothing will move them.....but I've got another few on the other side of my hand. Bottom of my fingers / top of the palm {does that make sense?}....they dont hurt.....I was told once what they were....2 great long names that didnt sink in and I was told there was nothing could be done about them unless the finger started curling in :x ....Anyway....I was at another consultant {completely un related} and he noticed them and said it was to do with my epilepsy????? I assumed it was my OA.....so I'm not really any wiser now :eek:

Love
    Hileena
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    one of the worse things about arther is the way it messes with your head the frustration at not being able to do what you used to. i to am a tom boy building walls decorating (oh would go to work come home and walls would be different colour and he would fall over furniture that i had moved) but now i have to plan and break things down into smaller jobs a little at a time if i do this leave that it all a matter of balance and finding your limits (still working on that) but you will get down days but also there will be good days so hang in there it does sort its self out we will be with you every step of the way val
    val
  • dotty123
    Options
    Oh Val that made me smile, I am or shall I say I was like that. Impulsive, would just jump up and strip paper or paint or move furniture without any prior warning to anyone... Perhaps we have burnt ourselves out...xx