Could foot paint be "referred pain" from Hip osteoarthritis?

Options
hartigk
hartigk Member Posts: 6
Hi Helpline Team,
I was diagnosed with Hip OA in December last year and since then the pain has go significantly worse. I also have considerable pain in my foot of the same side. could this foot pain be linked to the Hip problem?
Could it also be an indication tha I have also now OA of the foot/ankle?
Thanks
Katherine

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,490
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    hartigk wrote:
    Hi Helpline Team,
    I was diagnosed with Hip OA in December last year and since then the pain has go significantly worse. I also have considerable pain in my foot of the same side. could this foot pain be linked to the Hip problem?
    Could it also be an indication tha I have also now OA of the foot/ankle?
    Thanks
    Katherine

Hi Katherine
    As you probably know we are not medics.
    However, as someone living with OA, I can say that in my experience the foot pain you are having could be linked to the problems with your hip. When we get OA in one joint - especially if its a hip, knee or ankle, we walk differently to compensate for the bad side. This puts pressure on 'good' joints the other side and so cause pain. It can also be the start of OA in that joint too. So, just to be clear again, I am not saying this is the case for you but maybe you need to get it checked out. It may also be that you have injured that foot without realising - there are all sorts of different reasons. Your GP can refer you back to an orthopaedic clinic or a podiatrist or even a physiotherapist to get this checked out and some help in putting this right.
    We do get hundreds of calls and enquiries about this kind of situation as it is quite common. However, there will be something the experts can do for you.
    We have some good information here on the helplines we can send you if you need more indepth info than our Website. So just Pm us your name and address.
    Hope that helps ?
    Penn
    Helplines team
  • hartigk
    hartigk Member Posts: 6
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Great - many thanks for that.
    Regards
    Katherine