Earliest memory

tkachev
tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
edited 27. Aug 2011, 17:29 in Community Chit-chat archive
Following on from Vals thread what is your earliest memory.

I was 2 or 3 and I remember at my first home falling out of the downstairs window. It was my own fault as I was tempting fate. I clearly remember thinking shall I lean out a little bit more? I was balanced on the iron frame at the top, opened part of the window, resting on my tummy. My mum and sister were sewing. I landed in a bush and mum was actually laughing when she came outside and picked me up.

I also ran back into school during a fire drill, age 4, to rescue a doll and got told off in front of everyone. I forgot all about it until reminded by friends in my teens. It was obviously something I wanted to forget!

Elizabeth
Never be bullied into silence.
Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein

Comments

• mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I can remember weeing on neighbours floor when i was two mum was in hospital having my sister and the neighbour was looking after me till dad came home.
    Now you may not beleive this but my husband was born on christmas day,his mum and dad were Mary and Joseph :!: someone once asked him what his earliest memory was up he piped "well there were these three old men looking down on me) honestly its true but hes no saint. :lol: Mig
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    about year and half to two years falling face down in deep snow and if field behing house there was a cauldren(cooking pot but had good imagination) it was said if you tipped it a witch would escape. going to top of another field (about 3 years old) to pick flowers and cows came back while we were still there scared me stiff still can not go near cows lol
    val
  • theresa4
    theresa4 Member Posts: 696
    I was 3 and in the swimming baths with my dad and little sister. We didnt have alot of money (my dad said) so we had one pair of arm bands. My dad took them off me and put them on my little sister and i went under water. I remember watching my sister in MY armbands while the water went over my head. Then my dad picked me up. I always resented her getting anything of mine as she always got stuff too but never had to share with me.

Theresa xx
    There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those. --Michael Nolan

Theresa xxx
  • tkachev
    They are all quite traumatic events for a child aren't they? Thanks Val, Mig and Theresa for sharing.

Mig I think is great your in-laws were called Mary and Joseph and hubby was born on Christmas day! and his 1st memory was seeing 3 old men! love it.

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Having to go for my tonsils out age 4 and stay in hospital alone, cause in those days parents were not allowed to stay.

To be honest I cant remember much before the age of 4 :oops:
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Elizabeth,

I got a vague memory of putting a sparkler through my foot at abut 18 month..... I remember the pain and I remember the fascination it was red when it went out.... my shoes were red and thats how I put it through my foot.

Its a vague memory but I do remember with totally clarity being put on the labs back at about 2 and being thrown off into the fire....

My nan was there and I remember crying and crawling to her as well....

never bothered to try and get love from the parents but my nan... she was my mum in so many ways :wink:

hope you and the kids are dong ok? (((( )))) and good post Cris xx
  • NinaKKang
    NinaKKang Member Posts: 663
    My brother used to give me a piggy back down the stairs every morning before he went to school (he's 8 years older than me). I still remember his black curly hair (he's bald now) and the tickle of his grey school jumper against my face :D

Nxx
  • wannabewriter
    wannabewriter Member Posts: 114
    I was very little and learning to walk, at a family gathering there were lots of deckchairs out in the garden, all along the edge of a patio. I was clinging on to the backs, going from chair to chair to toddle my way along, when I grabbed one which was empty – with no weight in it, it toppled backwards, and I cracked my head open on the patio. I don’t think I even cried, I was so stunned and also stunned by the reaction of people around me – I remember getting in the car with my mum and grandad, and just saying over and over ‘I won’t do it again, I won’t do it again’ because I thought I was in trouble as everyone was fussing around me!
    I also remember being in the hospital, and thinking my mum was evil, because she told the nurse not to bother with the anaesthetic injection and just to stitch it up, because the injection would have been another needle to handle and I was screaming so loud she just wanted it over with. The walls were yellow, and I had on a white cardigan and I think a pale blue dress or romper suit, and the nurse had really curly brown hair. The deck chair which toppled was green and stripy. Oh and I think my hairband had a little plastic duck shape on it. How strange what you can remember!

Traumatic, but hasn’t put me off being clumsy the rest of my life!!
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    julie47 wrote:
    Having to go for my tonsils out age 4 and stay in hospital alone, cause in those days parents were not allowed to stay.

To be honest I cant remember much before the age of 4 :oops:

Similar to you Julie

being in hospital in London having had my crossed eyes straightened (a bit!) aged 2 and an irritaing child also in there shouting "Noo-ee Noo-ee Noo-ee" all day :roll:

Love

Toni xx
  • Ankyspond
    Ankyspond Member Posts: 626
    Mine was when my sister fell into a river and I was screaming for someone to come and help, I think I was about 3. xx
    AS Sufferer
    Live, love and enjoy life, live each day as though it's your last!
  • tkachev
    phew! trauma all round!

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    My sister, 3 years older, put me in her dollies pram, I remember it wasn't big enough and I could only see the sky as she pushed me round the garden! Next was sitting on the potty in grans kitchen with everyone laughing at me, rotten lot!

Someone mentioned water, I fell in the lake (sister was supposed to be looking after me) and can remember opening my eyes under water, luckily I then stood up, in tears I suspect, no doubt I got another telling off.
  • weejean
    weejean Member Posts: 346
    One of my earliest memories was my first day of nursery. I remember going to the toilet on my own and getting myself locked in. I was stuck there for ages crying my eyes out and the janitor had to climb over the door to get me out. I wouldnt go back to nursery and my Mum had to take me to work with her until I was old enough to start school. On my first day of school the same thing happened although this time I managed to stand on the toilet and climb over into the next cubicle to get out. To this day I get really nervous in public toilets in case I cant unlock the door and usually get my husband to stand against the outside of the door so I dont have to lock it. Isnt it weird how things in our childhood affect us for the rest of our lives xx
    Big Hugs
    Jean xx