Advice required re light weight bed coverings.

blackbear
blackbear Member Posts: 14
edited 30. Aug 2011, 10:54 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello All,
I have chronic arthritis in my left hip. I have been told that I cannot have THR because of the condition of my heart and having an ICD implant. The pain in my left leg from top to bottom is constant and it dictates my 24 hours and all that I try to do. It is a constant battle that I cannot win. I have gleaned a lot of information from the good people of this site for some time now and I am Looking for some now. One of my problems is when I get into bed is being able to move my legs for some comfort and I find that I struggle with the bed clothes I cannot lift them with my legs . I was wondering if anyone out there can point me in the direction of a very lightweight Duvet cover that is also Warm and easy to move on and off. What is the lightest
fillings Duck Goose or other. I would like to be able to move it off my legs with my walking stick.
I should mention that I am 76 and an old stiffy so any information would be helpful. Thank you. Blackbear. :?:

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Blackbear

Would a bed cradle suit your needs rather than a light duvet? I am sorry that you have all this to contend with and also that you cannot have a THR because of other complications. You can easily google bed cradles to see if this may benefit you.

Look after yourself

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Oh blackbear, what a problem, I can understand your frustration. I find the man-made fillings lighter than feather, would a single duvet be sufficient to cover you? I also sleep with a pillow running from ankle to - ahem!- groin :oops: that helps my knees and ankles and I suppose my hips too (but they are, thankfully, so far unmarked by this dross). A single one would also be easier to maneouvre in and out of the cover. Failing that, perhaps a return to good old-fashioned blankets could be a solution? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Hi again Blackbear

If you think that a bed cradle may suit your needs I am wondering if an OT could provide you with one.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi there Blackbear

l love your name :smile:

l have had that problem too in the past and think l tend to agree with Elna....getting the covers off of very sore bits is the best thing.....you can buy these items definitely yourself, but agree again(!) with Elna it might be an idea to ask an Occupational therapist.....they may even have some other ideas to help you too.

I am so sorry they wont consider surgery for your THR.... :sad: Not even the epidural type? :sad:

Love

Toni xx
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi Blackbear
    Not a lot of help but as I read your post before reading replies...I thought what about a bed cradle??

Lopve
    Hileena
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    can not help just want to say hi and hope you can find something to help val
    val
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    I use a manmade four seasons duvet, a lightweight section for summer or the middle weight for spring and autumn and combined for winter.

I'm usually warm so don't have much heating on and have the windows wide open.

Not sure the cage idea will be warm in winter, worth a try though?
  • Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    Hello black bear i can confirm the lightest and warmest material to use is nylon. I have cut up many a parashute to use for keeping warm. i suffer to with the weight of the blanket or a quilt and have used nylon to ease this. One proble i found is it can make you swet.
    Take care
    Colin
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • traluvie
    traluvie Member Posts: 2,579
    Hi Blackbear..

I have had this problem before..
    I suffer with my hips and knees ,,
    I have a 10 tog quilt(morrisons own) very lightweight, i also make sure my quilt cover is thin too..Not sure how i will do this in winter, may just cover myself in fleece blanket or even s;leeping bag as they are light too,,
    th_tn_TisFORTIGGER.jpgxxTracyxx
  • bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    Hi Blackbear, sorry to hear of the pain and hugs in abundance to you.

I keep seeing Mulberry silk duvets on the shopping channel, ideal world. They are as light as a feather but keep you warm as well. I have not tried them, but they seem to be very popular. http://www.idealworld.tv/SearchGridView.aspx?fh_location=//idealworld/en_GB/$s=mulberry silk

Hope the link works, they are not cheap I know.

Take care XXX Bubbles
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).
  • dreamdaisy
    I thought of a fleece blanket last night, its one drawback is that it doesn't 'breathe' like a natural fabric but, unless you tend to get very hot in bed, that should not be a major problem. They are very light, and very warm, and should be fine used over a sheet. DD

PS I have a 35% wool / 65% silk duvet, 6 tog rating, it's heavy (probably due to the wool content) and does not settle well round the neck like a feather version.
  • blackbear
    blackbear Member Posts: 14
    Hello everyone,
    Thank you all for being so generous with your time and your advice. I will check them all out and when I have found the answer I will let you all know. I am sure there are folk among you that are in far worse condition than I and I thank you for your endeavours in helping me. Take care . Blackbear.

P.S. The parachute one really made me laugh and gave me food for thought. Reminded me of the Army too.
  • dreamdaisy
    I am changing our duvet today, we are reverting to a 4.5 tog feather one as Mr DD was shivering last night. Poor baby. I, as usual, had thrown off my side of the 3 tog cotton one! I hope you find something that suits you, blackbear. DD