new knee in 9 weeks

diamond
diamond Member Posts: 396
edited 13. Jun 2012, 15:44 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone.
This is my first post as i have just joined the forum. I have just been told that i am getting a new knee in about 9 weeks time. I have oa and inflammatory artritis in both knees.My left knee is the worst as i can't straighten it and the surgeon explained that i should try and get the knee straightened as much as possible before the op as this helps before and after the op. Any tips on what i should/shouldn't do before and after the op would be very much appreciated.After being thrilled last friday about the news,fear is now setting in about the op!

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Diamond!!!

Very pleased to meet you and welcome you to our forums from me :smile:

In my opinion getting healthy would be what l would do....eat well plenty of veg and fruit......doing that sort of thing as well as gently exercising the leg will make you feel as though you are doing something constructive.

Will leave the TKR gang to do their stuff now :wink:

Love

Toni xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    The very best of luck with the op, I am green with envy as I have to wait another 30 months or so! Exercise your due-to-be-done knee as gently as you can in order to keep as much movement as you can in it and to strengthen the supporting muscles: I do isometric (I think that's the word) exercises every day, I began these after a recent bad fall and I am amazed at the difference in my muscles that just tensing and relaxing has made. They are definitely stronger - like you I have an inflammatory arthritis and OA in both knees and I hope that if I keep this up I will see some benefit with walking etc.

There is a permanent thread on here all about tips on going into hospital, the befores and afters, it may be worth a read through. Have you had any form of surgery before? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • diamond
    Thanks Toni and DD for your support.I have not had surgery before.knee problems started about seven years ago.Also have swollen fingers,wrists,ankles.My shoulders also bother me sometimes,was blaming having to use crutches for this.Have done physio and accupuncture in past.Have just booked an appt with sports physio for thursday need to get this hamstring slackened off.No time to wait for NHS physio.I think this forum is a godsend. GOOD WISHES .
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Hi Diamond and welcome,

I had both my knees replaced in the same op 11 years ago and have just had a replacement replaced as I'd worn one out.

The following are the exercises I was given from my physiotherapist for before and after my operation but you should CHECK FIRST WITH YOUR GP/RHEUMATOLOGY TEAM BEFORE you try them.
      Sit on a hard backed chair with a coffee table or similar in front of you. These can be done on your bed but you'll need a shiny board to put your legs on and you have to remember to sit bolt upright. THIS IS TO WARM UP. With a leg extended in front of you on the coffee table slide your ankle up towards you and bend your knee as far as it'll go and then slide straight – 10 times. (To make your ankle glide more easily you can put a cloth under your heel.) Change legs and repeat. THIS IS FOR HAMSTRING STRENGTH. Put both legs on coffee table and with your knees bent dig your ankles as hard as you can into the table tensing your leg and buttocks muscles and hamstrings – hold for 5 seconds and relax – repeat 10 times. THIS IS TO MAKE SURE YOU'RE STRAIGHTENING YOUR KNEES AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. Put both legs on coffee table and with your legs straight pull your toes (only) towards you, digging the back of your knees into the table – your legs should be straight all times and if you're doing it correctly your heel will lift slightly from the table – repeat 10 times. THIS IS FOR THIGH MUSCLE STRENGTH. One leg at a time for this. Sit with your leg as straight as possible and keeping it straight, lift your ankle from the table and hold up to 20cm off the table – keep there as long as possible, slowly lower – repeat 10 times and then do other leg. THIS IS FOR KNEE STRENGTH. Roll a glass bottle up in a towel and put it on the table under one of your knees, heel on the table. Lift heel till leg straight, lower slowly. Repeat 10 times and then do other leg.

As I said above please check with someone medically trained before trying them.

Glad to hear you have your operation, your new knee will change your life. :grin:
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • tiggernut
    tiggernut Member Posts: 339
    Hi Diamond,
    Looks like evryone has the excersises covered so just want to say good luck.
    I will jusr say it's important to strengthen your muscles, this will help when you excersise the new knee.
    Had both my knees replaced 14 years ago and they are still going strong.
    Anita.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello diamond, I hope you are as well today as you can be. I am an old hand at operations, and I don't mind having them - odd, I know, but I reckon they are meant to make things better, ergo they are worth having. You may get the impression from the hospital that once the op is over you will feel fine: I certainly hope that you do but don't be surprised of you find yourself tired and teary every now and again, that is quite normal.

I understand about the painful shoulder thing too, but I put mine down to arthritis as they only hurt when I flare. I have been on crutches since 2002, and make a conscious effort not to lean on them or hunch over as that sets off my neck and I don't need that. :smile: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • gray29
    gray29 Member Posts: 23
    hi diamond, i am having my left knee repalced on friday, so i will go through any questions you ay have about the op after that if you wish, all i would say about gettng ready for the op is to ty and make the leg as strong as possible, eat healthy and try to lose as excess weight. to be honest i've loads of surgery so it doesnt bother me that much but if you do have any worries there are loads of lovley helpful people on here to help. take care and keep well.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hi Diamond
    The others have said it all, but I just want to say welcome to this lovely forum, and wish you well with your op.
    Please let us know how you are doing, them we can add our support.
    Love
    Barbara
  • diamond
    Thanks Legs@ Co, I will try out some off the exercises after i check with guy on thursday.It is encouraging to hear that ops were successfull.Maybe in a few years i will even be able to dance again.Got family wedding this weekend to look forward too.They say" Diamonds are a girls best friend " i think good health is by far more important. Maybe one day we could form a dance troupe and call ourselves "BODY PARTS"After all there are some shockers on X Factor.Good Luck for Friday Gray!XXX
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    LEGS@CO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I remember them!!!

Was that our Linda?? Lindalegs which one were you??!!

Seriously Diamond you are doing great and all will be well Gray good luck for Friday will be thinking of you

Love

toni xx
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    frogmorton wrote:
    LEGS@CO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I remember them!!!

Was that our Linda?? Lindalegs which one were you??!!

Love

toni xx

GUESS :lol::lol::lol:
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • diamond
    Bumping up this post for JULIA list of exercises sent from lovely legs.xx
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099