Not so smiley today..

traluvie
traluvie Member Posts: 2,579
edited 30. Aug 2011, 05:08 in Living with Arthritis archive
Having a bit of a down day today..
My hips are very painful and achy,My elbows are painful and driving me mad too, i feel sick and genereally crap..
I wanted to go somewhere with the kids today but there is no way that is going to happen..
I need to book a doctors appointment to talk about my hips but i feel she is just going to shrug it off as oh it's arthritis and say tell your rheumatologist..I told her i was concerned about the numbness and tingling i was experiencing and she said i will have to get back to you on that..that was 2 weeks ago and still not heard anything..I feel that because i have arthritis i should just get on with it and take everything that comes with as a pinch of salt..I saw my rheumatologist in march, my hips were not a problem then as they are now, so surely i should need some investigation/xray to see what the crack is?? seems like my GP (maternity cover for my normal GP) wants to leave everything for rheumy(next appointment 4th october) i knind of understand but she could help speed things up by requesting things herself for rheumy to look at when i next see him??I dunno though i am not a doctor lolwe put our faith in the medial proffesion but seems we are sometimes fighting a battle..My OH said he wants to come with me to appointment but i am worried he will cause a scene as he says he wants something done to help me, i have tried explaining that there may not be anything they can do and this may be it but he can't get that through his head.. i think he believes there is some quick fix and i'll be fine again, but unfortunately it doesn't work like that..
I have got better with the horrible pain i was experiencing and my swelling in hands is virtually non existent which is great... my mobility just gets me down..I have some days when i can walk without sticks or crutches and then days like today when every step i take is uncomfortable and such an effort to do...One extreme to another, i think that the hard thing to understand, why can i be ok one day and lead a fairly normal life and the next day unable to do anything..crazy..
Well rant over for now.. feel bit better already for getting that off my chest lol..Thanks..Looks like the kids and i are having a film day oin the sofa.. comedy films it has to be,, put that smile back on my face..xx
th_tn_TisFORTIGGER.jpgxxTracyxx

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    We can't have better days to order (this rubbish disease in all its forms always knows when it really isn't wanted, doesn't it?) but you do know they will come back, because they always do. Do what you can to make today tolerable (keep up with the dullers for a start) and try to enjoy it as best you can. I hope it all eases for you soon. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Can't offer any advice , Tracy , just wanted to reassure you that we all understand on this lovely forum ( and I know that doesn't help much when you feel so lousy ! ) , try and have a fun restful day indoors with the kids ; board games are good if you run out of films to giggle at . Only advice I'd give would be to let your hubby go with you to appointments ; they seem to take more notice if someone other than the patient tells them how unbearable it's becoming ! Hope you enjoy your day . Jillyb
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    Tracy, I understand how you feel. A sofa day sounds bliss, it is freezing here!!! :shock: I hope you enjoy yhe rest and that tomorrow is a better day for you. :grin:
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Oh Tracy

you know l think maybe now is the time to start writing some of this down so it is clearer in your mind and you don't forget any of it. At least you will feel you have done something about the way things are for you. Once that is done you will see clearly whether you need to see anyone GP or ring rheumy sec for a cancellation for instance.

OH could do with being there for October but NOT if he being there stresses you out even more.

Whoever suggested a sofa day was right - you need to send OH out to rent you a good DVD and some chocolate (don't rent this as you wont get your deposit back :wink: ) get those gorgeous kids around you and chill.

HUGS for you Trace

Love

Toni xx
  • traluvie
    Thanks for your replies and warm wishes..
    Some days you just need some words of comfort to help you through..

Toni OH is very hungover and no good to anyone today.. so it has been sky movies and disney channel so far lol..

DD am on top with painkillers so feeling a bit better at the mo.. just can't get comfy properly,very uncomfortable.. surrounded by cushions at the moment.. could create a new version of ball pit with cushions instead lol
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    When I had an increase in hip pain I got given x-rays to determine whether it was time for a THR. Previously I had been given them as a matter of course to monitor my R.A.
    I never go to my GP about my arthritis as I prefer to talk to the experts. However I was initially diagnosed by my previous GP from my 1st ever meeting with him so no complaints there. Some are knowledgable and some are not.

I also have variable days. I think this due to how much inflammation there is.I agree it is difficult for others to understand this. Are you on anti-tnf? That might be the next step if you are continuing to struggle.
    Sometimes it is nice to have support and a different viewpoint at appointments. My OH came to my appt for my THR review. I waited hours for the surgeon as they were running very late, went off to the loo and came back and OH and surgeon having a cosy chat about how I didnt want an op and how much I struggled and needed it. I was going to tell him I was coping!
    My children are 13, 12 next week and 7 and I have had this almost 12 years so I really understand how you feel. I felt guilty and stressed and still do but kids still love you just being there.
    Take care
    Elizabeth xx
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • traluvie
    tkachev wrote:
    I also have variable days. I think this due to how much inflammation there is.I agree it is difficult for others to understand this. Are you on anti-tnf? That might be the next step if you are continuing to struggle.
    Sometimes it is nice to have support and a different viewpoint at appointments. My OH came to my appt for my THR review. I waited hours for the surgeon as they were running very late, went off to the loo and came back and OH and surgeon having a cosy chat about how I didnt want an op and how much I struggled and needed it. I was going to tell him I was coping!
    My children are 13, 12 next week and 7 and I have had this almost 12 years so I really understand how you feel. I felt guilty and stressed and still do but kids still love you just being there.
    Take care
    Elizabeth xx

I am currently taking Tramadol,diclofenac,hydroxychloroquine,have depo mendrone injection every 12 weeks and take paracetamol too on bad days like today.. Can't say i notice any swelling in hip area but with the steroid and diclofenac i think that may be the reason why.. I also have an indent appeared on my left hand side of hip(top of buttock) the pain and clicking is underneath the indent so am going to make an appointment tomorrow..
    My OH is good at getting his point across but can get quite agitated at times..not very good with social skills due to his aspergers, so i don't really want to be stressing about him rowing with the consultant lol..October not too far away so will prob get more help from rheumy than GP but shall see..
    The kids are great they understand alot more than i realise i think..My daughter put the tea on as 2 sticks and a balancing act doesn't work..lol..
    Hoping tommorrow is a better day..
  • kellerman
    kellerman Member Posts: 741
    Hi,
    If you read the posts loads seem to be struggling today.
    This includes me,but I am lucky in the sense my children are grown up and all but one married.
    Only you know if it is a good idea to take your OH to appointments or not.
    I took mine once when I had cancer 1st time and he told the oncologist to wash his hands!!! He hadn't even touched me and wasn't going to as we were just talking about the different chemo available.
    When I thought about it I just think he was in shock as I was going to lose my hair.
    I have started a diary for the rheumy so I don't forget anything.Daughter is coming with me in case I forget what he says.
    I do hope you have a better day tomorrow.
    May
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Men want to fix things, they want to know that if D is the problem if they do A, B and C then D will be fixed. Doesn't work with us, does it? I suspect (from what you have said) that having him there will only add stress to you, so don't take him, take another who will be a positive support (I am not saying he isn't, you know what I mean). We will all be there in various pockets anyway - as long as you let us know when. I cannot help on the hip thing as mine are (currently) untouched by dross. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • traluvie
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Men want to fix things, they want to know that if D is the problem if they do A, B and C then D will be fixed. Doesn't work with us, does it? I suspect (from what you have said) that having him there will only add stress to you, so don't take him, take another who will be a positive support (I am not saying he isn't, you know what I mean). We will all be there in various pockets anyway - as long as you let us know when. I cannot help on the hip thing as mine are (currently) untouched by dross. DD

DD you are so right ..they do think entirely different from us..i know he cares but like you say i think he will cause me more harm than good, so might ask my best buddy to come along with me, she knows how to ask all the right questions lol.. and of course with you all in my pocket i will be ready to take on the world(so to speak ) lol..october 6th so not too far away.. i hoping too try and get my hips investigated as something is def going on just don't want it brushed off as arthur, what it to be checked out properly if that makes sense lol..
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi Tracy

l hope today is a better day for you?

The weather is grotty here but at least you OH will not be hung over!!

If you have a best mate who you trust more then she is the one to take not OH - the last thing you want is to be worrying about him.

If you had time to ask teh GP specifically about the hip Xray well before teh Oct appt that would give him something to whether go on or eliminate??? Just a thought?? The dimpling of the skin is something new for you and not unreasonable to ask for one l would have thought.

Love

Toni xx
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi Tracy,
    Cant add much to what everyone else has said.
    If it is going to stress you out taking your OH dont do it!!!!! I do think you need someone with you for moral support, to ask questions you might not think of and if you are anything like me to remember all that has been said.....I tend to forget after I come out all that he has said :roll:
    You have time to do a list/diary before you go......do that please. I'm going tp the hospital this morning and with just coming back from holidays I havent done anything about a list {usually do} this time. I suppose part of it is i dont know what I'm going for this time so dont know what to ask?? :oops:
    I dont have a rheumy....With OA you only see a GP or someone {could be anyone} else if something is really wrong.
    Hope you feel a bit better today
    Hear you later
    Love
    Hileena
  • traluvie
    Thanks all..

Toni OH has gone to work fine this morning so at least he is out my hair lol..Am going to ask my best buddy to come as she drives too so will save me walking the distance from train station to hospital which was worrying me as i wasn't sure about walking the distance..We have so many little things to worry about when you have arthur..not like you can just get up as normal and carry on with your day..
    Have an appointment with GP this morning at 11.20 so may get some answers or may not??
    Am feeling a bit better this morning not so painful so that good..dread the trip to the docs though.. bus stop seems so far away...
    Will post later and let you know what she says..
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hi Tracy
    Just calling in to see if you feel any better, I do hope your appointment goes well, take your list and make sure you get across how much pain you are in.
    Will be thinking about you, let us know how you get on.
    Love
    Barbara