sternum

valval
valval Member Posts: 14,911
hi have been having lot of trouble with inflammation in sternum doc says try ibuprofen rhummy said can have injections if need them how painful are the injections and how good are they do they only last so long then need repeating ??? do you know anything about them and how good they are please val
val

Comments

• skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Val,

Butting in here.... sorry.

As you know \i also have a lot of sternum trouble and they have talked about the jabs. The pain doc said to try the add in to try and shut it down as she says the jabs are very intrusive and hard to do.

We are deciding if the add in is enough..... at some point when I eventually get the date for the de-nerve, the triggers and the botox.

I think your gp is a bit optimistic to think Ibrufin could help it.....

Personally i would ask for a referral to someone better re pain like the pain clinic.

My add in didn't work cus I threw up too much, always do morphine except tramadol for some reason) I have found m,y own now :lol:

Go back and ask for the reveal as gp's..... they don't go for the bigger drugs that may well help you. hang in there and I hope it will soon ease back. ((((( ))))) Cris who will have the jabs if the pain doc is willing after all this time :roll: ill let you know if i can get them just how 'intrusive' they really are :wink: xx
  • valval
    thanks cris will be good to know what it going to be like if and when i get to that stage
    val
  • skezier
    Hi Val,

I promise i will let you know as soon as /if I ever get the date and see her.... :lol:

She said it was individual jabs to each join down the sternum each side.... by my reasoning ( and i ain't thinking straight tonight) thats 8 jabs a side....

When the pain doc says invasive... well she calls the neck ones invasive and what she really means is hurts like hell :lol:

She did say its not easy to get they right and as ever with her she likes you wide awake and able to say ow..... its a better jab if she can get you to tell her its the right place....

Hang in there flower and honestly either take the meds you have daily or get something stronger cus I know Ibuprofen wouldn't touch mine. Leaving a ((((( ))))) and a hope. Cris xx

Val just gong to do a quick hi-jack but you might want to know as well.

Hi helpline folk,

Just wondered what is this sternum thing? is it arthritis (I have 2 rouges in the gallery for that one) actually going after the rib/sternum cartilage but is that what causes the bone lumps, well mine isn't a lump it only the size of a pea :wink: Please excuse the exaggeration cus it feels like this big :roll:

I seem to remember the ribs are attacked by a kind of tougher style cataloger? My anat and phys is so rusty but i just wondered cus that would be more likely oa wouldn't it?

I got that costrail what ever it is as well but that seem a different pain and runs the sides more and I assume is in the intercostal muscles/

Sorry just when ever I see the rumo or the pain doc there is so much to talk about I keep forgetting to ask them... i could dig out the old wagons book but they eyes will never read it. Take care Cris x
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    Hi Val

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble you have been getting with inflamation in your sternum.

For more information on steroid injections see http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis_information/arthritis_drugs_and_medication/local_steroid_injections.aspx.

The length that steroid injections last vary from person to person, but could be for up to a couple of months.

As mentioned in a previous response asking your doctor for a referral to a pain clinic may help.

Please ring us if you would like to have a chat about this.

Regards

Nick
    Helplines Team
  • valval
    thanks nick have read it and does sound like might have to give it ago will try different tabs first to see if that helps if not well in for a pound and all that thakyou for taking time to reply and finding information for me val
    val
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    Hi helpline folk,

Just wondered what is this sternum thing? is it arthritis (I have 2 rouges in the gallery for that one) actually going after the rib/sternum cartilage but is that what causes the bone lumps, well mine isn't a lump it only the size of a pea :wink: Please excuse the exaggeration cus it feels like this big :roll:

I seem to remember the ribs are attacked by a kind of tougher style cataloger? My anat and phys is so rusty but i just wondered cus that would be more likely oa wouldn't it?

I got that costrail what ever it is as well but that seem a different pain and runs the sides more and I assume is in the intercostal muscles/

Sorry just when ever I see the rumo or the pain doc there is so much to talk about I keep forgetting to ask them... i could dig out the old wagons book but they eyes will never read it. Take care Cris x[/quote]

Hi Cris

Its been a while. Good to see you on here. Sternum pain as you may already know can be as a result of Costochondritis, which is inflamation in your chest/rib/sternum area. If you are feeling lumps however big or small perhaps you should insist someone have a closer look. Better to be safe than sorry I say. I realise there is always so much else to talk about during appointments but....

I'm not certain about the other thing you mention so please do clarify with your rheumo.

All the best :wink:

Simona
  • valval
    hi after visit to doc yesterday have contacted rhumy about getting injections as it time to give it a go thanks for help val
    val
  • skezier
    Hi Simona,

Thanks for answering and sorry I am so late seeing it... kinda got a degree of emotional trash out at the mo.

Yep i got the Costochondritis but something else as well./.. They never say what but them i think they know I can't cope with any more conditions :wink:

The lump is only the size of a pea but they are doing one of those horrible boob things and I got a bit of trouble with the oesophagus... acquired another alien :lol:

See the rumo next month and will have to say to him about it. I also want him to drain some fluid off my neck :lol: Do they ever do that is the question.....

I just wish that one appointment was light and they were not all so heavy :wink: Simona they are all so heavy and deep subjects and well I prefer the head in the sand thing :lol:

Hope your doing ok and take care.

Cris x .....oh and better leave at least a cream egg cus i been remiss and not doing so for a bit :lol: