Steroid injection

tiggernut
tiggernut Member Posts: 339
edited 3. Sep 2011, 16:22 in Living with Arthritis archive
Has anyone had or is having systemic steroid injections instead of daily prednisalone?
The reason I ask is beacause I've had lots of bad days lately. Extra prednisalone really helps but, I don't want to take extra on a regular basis as I'm trying to get off it having had it for a 10 year period. (Now have osteoporosis) I stopped taking it 14 years ago but because I can only have 10mg MTX injection I have to have the prednisalone as well been on it this time so far for about 2/3 years.(not really sure all the years lur into one lol!)
Having a bit of a flare up at the moment so after a trip to the GP which was pointless I'm seeing the Rheumy nurse on Friday. I did ask if I could maybe come off the pills and have the injection every 6 months instead. Anyway we are going to discuss it Friday so fingers crossed.
But, if anyone is having this or has had it I would love to hear the pros and cons.
Thanks Anita.

Comments

• madwestie
    madwestie Member Posts: 383
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Anita, I have depomedrone injections every 3 months or so I have never taken steroid tablets long term so can't answer from that point but I do find the injections work for me but only for a couple of weeks then they wear off.
    The consultant warns me regularly about the risks of osteoporosis with the injections.

I hope you get something sorted out soon

Tracey
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I have had a number of joint and depo injections and never achieved anything like the anount of relief promised, but we all react differently (something the hospital never seems to mention). I am reducing the pred (now down to 2.5 per day with the aim of being off altogether by 31.12.11), those babies DID help, and wonderfully so, but as they are not good long-term I am determined to do without. I shall also refuse any further joint jabs.

We are all different in how we react and in what we need, you can only decide after discussions with those who know your history, and with what you feel you can manage on a day-to-day basis. You are the one living with the dross, not them. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • traluvie
    traluvie Member Posts: 2,579
    I am on the depo too every 3 months. I found injection better than tablets. I thought the tablets were not as effective. . But everyone is different. My injection lasts between 8 and 12 weeks. Be worth talking it over it over with rheumy..
    th_tn_TisFORTIGGER.jpgxxTracyxx
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Anita,

It sounds like it is a depomedrone they are giving you? Sometimes they can and do work well and other times they are not as good but do help a bit.

I get a load i the neck and shoulder regularly and well they do help the whole of me to some degree but its so variable really.

Think it depends on how active the inflammation and mine is complicated by the fact I have a lot of oa which the depo doesn't help.

I really hope it helps you no end ... and it can. Let us know when your going and we will do pocket duties. Cris x
  • tiggernut
    Thanks to you all for your replies. I must say I have never heard of depomedrone. I will mention it to the rhuemy nurse and see if she thinks it will go with the other drugs I have.
    Apart from the MTX and pednisalone I have, Voltarol retard and plaquinel for my RA.
    8 to 12 weeks isn't that long but if it works better than the pills I'd be happy to give it a go.
    Well done DD only 2.5mg, I'm with you I want to be off it!!.
    Anita.
  • tiggernut
    skezier wrote:
    Hi Anita,

It sounds like it is a depomedrone they are giving you? Sometimes they can and do work well and other times they are not as good but do help a bit.

I get a load i the neck and shoulder regularly and well they do help the whole of me to some degree but its so variable really.

Think it depends on how active the inflammation and mine is complicated by the fact I have a lot of oa which the depo doesn't help.

I really hope it helps you no end ... and it can. Let us know when your going and we will do pocket duties. Cris x

Hi Cris,

As far as I'm aware it's Cortisone injections I've had. They have always worked well for me in the past.
    I'm going on Friday and hopefully I'll get something. Also of course the thing with injections you don't have to wait the usual however many weeks for it to kick in!
    Anita.
  • tiggernut
    tiggernut wrote:
    skezier wrote:
    Hi Anita,

Okay, having just looked up depomedrone on the net I think you are right Cris. It appears to be one and the same. ( think!)
    Anita.
    Hi Cris,

As far as I'm aware it's Cortisone injections I've had. They have always worked well for me in the past.
    I'm going on Friday and hopefully I'll get something. Also of course the thing with injections you don't have to wait the usual however many weeks for it to kick in!
    Anita.
  • skezier
    Hi Anita,

not sure about the ones in the bum but the depo medrone is now being used in my back and neck cus its that bit stronger and so better....

Cortisone is a good one for the joints as well but I think they are talking the depo in your bum one from what you have said? It might not be as I think preds can also be done via injection.... I can't remember but what ever hopefully Friday will bring you a bit of relief and some answers. hang in there and will be up for pocket duties if you need? Cris x
  • tiggernut
    skezier wrote:
    Hi Anita,

not sure about the ones in the bum but the depo medrone is now being used in my back and neck cus its that bit stronger and so better....

Cortisone is a good one for the joints as well but I think they are talking the depo in your bum one from what you have said? It might not be as I think preds can also be done via injection.... I can't remember but what ever hopefully Friday will bring you a bit of relief and some answers. hang in there and will be up for pocket duties if you need? Cris x

Well now I'm confused!! (easliy done) all I can tell you is whenever I have had them I get it in the top of my leg and she gives me a cortisone drug info sheet.(not that I read it lol) So, is that prednisalone? I always thought it was.
    Anita.
  • skezier
    Hi Anita,

Steroids come in many ways... its a big family but can't remember just how many....

The pres are usually to dampen down things and are normally tablets.

The cortisone can be used as a one off or into a joint and area slightly different family member... I can't remeber why and it was explained to me by a vet :lol:

Medrome is the next one up, again slightly different. It tends to be slightly longer lasting and a little stronger than the cortisone...

Then they also use the depo medrone as a injection in the bum to hit the inflammation as hard as they can bar iv stuff....

My bet is thats what they are talking about especially i thy are trying to get the preds down.

Its a quick jab, its also sometimes incredibly good at clobbering the inflammation.

Anita I think its what they mean by systemic..... The pain doc uses that word when she does the neck and lumber and thats the depo medrone into the joints and surrounding tissue and it does honesty help make the rest of me feel better as well to carrying degrees.

Has that helped or maybe confused us both more :lol: I get a horrible reaction to preds but don' to cortisone or medrome cus the slight differences in them means I can not only tolerate them but they work to some degree.

Hang in there flowr and with luck it s the depo and you will start to feel a lot better. Cris x
  • tiggernut
    skezier wrote:
    Hi Anita,

Steroids come in many ways... its a big family but can't remember just how many....

The pres are usually to dampen down things and are normally tablets.

The cortisone can be used as a one off or into a joint and area slightly different family member... I can't remeber why and it was explained to me by a vet :lol:

Medrome is the next one up, again slightly different. It tends to be slightly longer lasting and a little stronger than the cortisone...

Then they also use the depo medrone as a injection in the bum to hit the inflammation as hard as they can bar iv stuff....

My bet is thats what they are talking about especially i thy are trying to get the preds down.

Its a quick jab, its also sometimes incredibly good at clobbering the inflammation.

Anita I think its what they mean by systemic..... The pain doc uses that word when she does the neck and lumber and thats the depo medrone into the joints and surrounding tissue and it does honesty help make the rest of me feel better as well to carrying degrees.

Has that helped or maybe confused us both more :lol: I get a horrible reaction to preds but don' to cortisone or medrome cus the slight differences in them means I can not only tolerate them but they work to some degree.

Hang in there flowr and with luck it s the depo and you will start to feel a lot better. Cris x

Hi Cris,

You have explained that very well, so I will ask for the strongest lol!
    Not so keen on it going in my bum!! :roll:
    I'll let you know what happens.
    Anita x
  • skezier
    Hi Anita,

Yep let us know how it goes and its not too painful.... honest. Good luck and will be in your pocket. Cris x
  • dreamdaisy
    The bum injection is a doddle, honestly, you hardly feel a thing. DD
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Anita

l am a needle phobe!! Shake panic teeth chatter and even have been known to T T T like Skippy the bush Kangaroo!

BUT l can do the derriere jabs.

Go on give it a try :wink:
  • dreamdaisy
    Now THAT I would love to hear - frog going T T T like Skippy! DD
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Hi tiggernut,

I had a steroid injection this morning and the worst bit is revealing my bottom to the nurse!! It stings for about 30 seconds but that's it. I didn't even feel the needle.

All the best of luck!
  • madwestie
    madwestie Member Posts: 383
    Anita, I have had the depomedrone injections in the top of my thigh for years then last time I had a different nurse do the injection and she said she finds it better to do it in your bum so that is what she did(I did think charming)but I suppose sitting in my knickers with my trousers round my ankles while they do the injection in my thigh probably does away with most of my dignity anywy :lol:

I hope you get on ok with whichever one they do. I wouldn't be without mine

Tracey
  • nanasue
    nanasue Member Posts: 465
    OMG, I'm sorry but I seem to be being a bit of a killjoy in replying to people today. I've had depomedrone injections in the bum (approx: 2 per year) for the last 6 years, sometimes they work better than others, as little as 4 weeks (the most recent one) and up to 9-10 weeks. They do tell you about having to be careful about having too many because of the risk of osteoporosis, but they didn't mention the fact that they can also cause cataracts till after I got one, I now have one in each eye and am waiting to have them operated on.

Sue x
  • tiggernut
    Well, I saw the rhuemy nurse today and I saw the consultant as it was the end of clinic and he was still there.
    Anyway, He didn't want to give me the injections instead of pills, beacuse steriid are only really painkillers and don't actually control the RA.
    He said we need to add another modifyng drug into the mix to try to control the RA( as if I need more) so he's given me Leflunomide. I've never heard of it so if any of you have, feedback would be gratefully received.
    It is hoped that when and if this works I may be able to come of the prednisalone but I'm thinking this is not going to be anytime soon.
    He did say I could have an injection today that would hopefully make me feel better while the Leflunomide was kicking in. However, I mentiined I was on anti-biotics AGAIN and the nurse said "Oh Anita I can't give you a jab as it may inflame your infection again"(I've had an infection in the thumb btw).
    The also said I can't start the Leflunomide until i have finished the anti-biotics which is another 6 days away then I have to give another couple of days.
    I asked about Anti TNF but I can't have those because apparently if you have had any infections you have to be clear for two years before you can have them.
    As I have had infection after infection since last May that's that out of the window.
    Oh and I have to have a blood test every 2 weeks to start with. Oh deep joy my veins are like cotton thread!!

Cris- it is depo-medone that I have. x

Anita.
  • tiggernut
    nanasue wrote:
    OMG, I'm sorry but I seem to be being a bit of a killjoy in replying to people today. I've had depomedrone injections in the bum (approx: 2 per year) for the last 6 years, sometimes they work better than others, as little as 4 weeks (the most recent one) and up to 9-10 weeks. They do tell you about having to be careful about having too many because of the risk of osteoporosis, but they didn't mention the fact that they can also cause cataracts till after I got one, I now have one in each eye and am waiting to have them operated on.

Sue x
    Sorry Sue I posted before I read this.
    You will see from my latest post I never got the jab.
    I have found them very good in the past. I already have osteoporosis. I never knew about the cataracts. I've had loads of ops but I have to say the thought of having cataracts done doesn't thrill me at all lol!
    Anita.
  • skezier
    Hi Anita,

Flower thats a bit of a mixed bag appointment there....

It makes sense not to give you the jab if your on antibiotics cus one will take out the others usefulness.... Steroid is a good drug but it does dampen down the immune system so while you have the infection your body need to try and fight it off.

There are a few who have the Leflunomide and its might be an idea to post it as a separate thing? More people might see its about the drug they are on if that makes sense?

I remember my rumo saying i shouldn't have it but i do know a lot of folks here have found it helped so with luck you will be one of the lucky ones.

The antis's I can't get funding for so don't really know how you can get them, I know I (on paper) qualify but funding is an issue this way :wink:

thats the polite way of putting it :lol:

You hang in there and I think you should post a separate one about the Leflunomide cus a lot have been on or are on it.

Got everything crossed for you flower. ((( ))) Cris xx
  • sugarbuttie
    sugarbuttie Member Posts: 225
    I have depomedrone injection into bum a few times a year. Doesn't hurt. Mine take about a week to work. Had one last week & everything has calmed down now.
  • tiggernut
    skezier wrote:
    Hi Anita,

Flower thats a bit of a mixed bag appointment there....

It makes sense not to give you the jab if your on antibiotics cus one will take out the others usefulness.... Steroid is a good drug but it does dampen down the immune system so while you have the infection your body need to try and fight it off.

There are a few who have the Leflunomide and its might be an idea to post it as a separate thing? More people might see its about the drug they are on if that makes sense?

I remember my rumo saying i shouldn't have it but i do know a lot of folks here have found it helped so with luck you will be one of the lucky ones.

The antis's I can't get funding for so don't really know how you can get them, I know I (on paper) qualify but funding is an issue this way :wink:

thats the polite way of putting it :lol:

You hang in there and I think you should post a separate one about the Leflunomide cus a lot have been on or are on it.

Got everything crossed for you flower. ((( ))) Cris xx

Thanks Cris, I'll do a new post.
    Anita x.