Date for TKR!!

sarahthornton
sarahthornton Member Posts: 44
edited 7. Sep 2011, 14:05 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all,

Hope you have enjoyed the bank holday weekend. I got some bargains in the skirt department this weekend which is very handy as I have just got my date through for my TKR.

I have the pre op next Tuesday and the op is on the 23rd. Feeling a little nervous but knowing there are lots of people on here who have been there and have got through the other side is making me feel a little better.

Sarah x

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Done it 3 times, Sarah. Every one a success.

Rest up, do the exercises, let others do the housework. You'll be fine. Good luck! (But you won't need it.)
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I am very pleased for you indeed, that is four of you having ops in September, ye gods we are gong to be busy on here trying to support you all. Just focus on the benefits and remember that I am turning a violent shade of green. :mrgreen: (See? Told you! :smile: )

I sincerely wish you the very best, I am sure it will all go smoothly and your life will hopefully become very different as the recovery time passes. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • sarahthornton
    Thank you DD. It does seem to be a busy month for our gentle handed surgeons. Hopefully we will all be smiling by the time October comes around. Fingers crossed.

I am hoping not to go too green (although I do have a tendency to do so) as my new skirt (bargain at £3) is pink and will clash with my face, not a good look, even when only half conscious!

Thanks for the wishes xxx
  • sarahthornton
    Thank you Sticky Wicket, glad yours have been a success. I'm hoping for the same. xx
  • dreamdaisy
    Pink? Je suis doubly green. :grin: DD
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi Sarah

l am so very very pleased for you :smile:

l wish you all the very best and a speedy recovery....l am sure it will go brilliantly :grin:

a070.gif

Love

Toni xx
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Hi Sarah

Wishing you all the best for the 23rd and a speedy recovery too.

Juliepf x
  • tiggernut
    tiggernut Member Posts: 339
    Hi Sarah,

Good luck with your TKR, and take a book to the pre-op in my experience it's a lot of sitting around waiting!!
  • sarahthornton
    Thank you all for your kind words.
    Tiggernut I have a book ready thank you. I have learned that lesson from a previous pre-op.

Thanks again

Sx
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Sarah,

Tis good you have the date and sending you so much good luck for the pre-op as well as the op. Fingers crossed and don't forget if you need pocket duties are always available. Cris x
  • gray29
    gray29 Member Posts: 23
    hi sarah, good luck for your tkr and hope you dont have to st around to much for your pre-op.
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi Sarah,
    Good Luck .......will be thinking of you. Dont forget to remnind us closer to the time and we'll hop in for pocket duty :grin:
    I havent had a knee done....I'm a "hippie" :lol:

Love
    Hileena
  • sarahthornton
    Thank you all, I will let you know how I get on on Tuesday. Fingers crossed everything will go to plan xx
  • sarahthornton
    Well that's the pre-op done and dusted. My surgeon is very hesitant about it. I'm not sure what I can do about needing a new knee at 32, it isn't a life choice. If it needs doing it needs doing, if I can deal with it surely he can!!

Anyway, rant over. Highlight of the day was being asked to strip in front of a very large uncovered window. The fun you can have on a hospital visit.... :oops: :smile:
  • dreamdaisy
    You are right, if it needs doing it needs doing. I have no doubt it will improve the quality of your life and that IS what matters - plus the fact you have bought a pink skirt so you are already doing your bit, yes? :grin:

As for the stripping, well, words fail me. :shock: Being an old hand at this hospital business I must confess I would have disrobed whilst whistling the apppropriate tune, but that's just me. DD
  • sarahthornton
    Exactly DD, my pink skirt does not want to go unused! And if there wasn't a man walking past the window at the time I might have been more tempted to strut my stuff a little but I don't have the energy to be arrested!

I am looking forward to standing up without my knee collapsing. :smile:
  • tiggernut
    tiggernut Member Posts: 339
    Like you say if you need it you need it. I had mine done at 42 and was told by the surgeons here I was far to young but when I sent to Bath a few months later it was a different attitute and I got them within 8 months.
    The only reason they don't like doing them when you are youn is beacause the chances are you will need another one!!
    Anyway good luck.
    Anita.
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Hi Sarah :grin:

That was some pre-op :eek: stripping in front of an open window :shock:

I'm having the first of two TKR(s) mine is on 22nd... so we'll be able to compare notes after :grin:
    It's understandable that the surgeon is hesitant... but, none of us 'wants' a TKR.. and what's the alternative? better to have the replacement than be left in increasing pain for years until you reach their 'optimum age'. (whatever that might be!)

Best of luck when the time comes Sarah... :!:

Iris xxx
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Sarah,

Oh flowr.... I think I would run a mile (if I could :wink: ) at stripping off in front of a window..... a mate of mines husband used to do that but thats another story :lol:

Glad it went well and having it younger than they like will make a huge difference to you and the quality of life issues are more important than age.

Will keep everything crossed and pocket duties are assured. Good luck flower. Cris x
  • sarahthornton
    Cris the mind boggles!! :lol:

You and Iris are both right, I am hoping it will make a difference and there is little point waiting until I am the 'right' age when I need it now. He has already told me that they will need to amputate if I run out of options! :eek: Sometimes things are better left unsaid, I would rather focus on the here and now rather than what might or might not happen in 50 years!

Iris we will definitely compare notes. September seems to be a popular month for TKRs. It's nice to be at the height of the latest fashions! :smile: Good luck with yours, I will be thinking of you xx

Thanks again to you all for being so lovely xxx