Xmas presents with a difference.

lupin15
lupin15 Member Posts: 2,182
edited 27. Sep 2011, 02:57 in Community Chit-chat archive
Every year it is the same thing....what do i get people for xmas...I am sure i am not the only person.in fact sometimes it takes the fun out of it. So this year i came up with an idea :eek: :eek: (usual for me :smile::smile: ). What do most people wear everyday ????? No not pants or knickers....socks.
So this year i am making sock bouquets and baskets up for my family. Not only are they nice to look at, they are different, hand made and can be used. Also making sock cats, frogs, owls and more for the younger members, although some of the older ones will get those too. To my surprise they have come up really nice and have kept me out of trouble. Making hubby's mum and dads today.

Comments

• Ankyspond
    Ankyspond Member Posts: 626
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    That's a great idea, last year we got all the adults a voucher from the pot office called 'one for all' which can be spent in hundreds of places. Buying things at Christmas the price always go up but in the sales you can get twice as much for your money and people can choose. Xx
    AS Sufferer
    Live, love and enjoy life, live each day as though it's your last!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    It's not that complicated to give gifts. They don't have to be big and flashy, just related to the interests of the recipient. Christmas has become a mercenary festival, a return to simpler values would not go amiss. I remember one of my lads, in January this year, complaining he 'only' got £100 from his grandparents. Eight years old and complaining. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    I give my older girls cheques but for a change last year I asked if the would like a gift instead. One daughter asked for some jewellery and gave me the website details. It was based in Canada and the postal charges were extortionate but were the same for 1 or any number of items. When the gift arrived on Christmas Eve I also had to pay an extra £35 in taxes and charges to release the parcel from the local post office! Never again. They will get a cheque again his year.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    do not mind giveing money for birthdays but like to give a present for christmas it lovely to have something to unwrap never mind how old you are it is the magic time of year val
    val
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Thats a lovely Idea lupin.

This year I think for all my nieces it will be gift vouchers they are all past the age of 22.

My nephews will get money because they have loads of toys and clothes.

My daughter and son in law will get little gifts as stocking fillers and gift vouchers

Mums and dads......oh gosh....don't know yet

Hubby....arrrrgggghhhh he has everything so not sure there yet either.

All I want at the moment is a cover for my kindle :grin:

juliepf x
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    We don't do gifts at christmas other than to children in the family . We concentrate on getting good pressies for each others birthdays , but at christmas time , we cut the cost and spend on a family get together meal instead . Jillyb ( bah humbug ! )
  • YorkshireLass
    YorkshireLass Member Posts: 60
    edited 27. Sep 2011, 02:19
    Well we don't have that problem anymore.
    Hubby and I don't have children and I'm an only child. Hubby is not in touch with his family and hasn't been for 20 years and last Christmas my parents decided to disown us for reasons I am still finding hard to accept :shock:
    I can't get in touch with any of my extended family because they fell out with them all years ago which meant I never had contact with 90% of my family.

So Christmas is as cheap as it can be, just us two and the dogs.

YL
  • suzyc68
    suzyc68 Member Posts: 19
    I think gifts are always a little more personal- whether it costs £1 or £100- its always so much more exciting to receive something wrapped up.

We do secret santa amoungst friends and in work- so we have a price limit (work is usually £5, friends £15) and then you have a mini challenge. plus its quite funny, when we all get together to exchange, especially at work, when you have a fiver to find a gift- got to have a good imagination though.

its worth a go to keep it cheap and bring some fun into it.

suzanne x
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    I have 3 grandchildren and 7 great- nephews and nieces, so it's quite a task to buy presents for them all, especially as they all seem to have everything they could possibly want already. Even my daughter is struggling to think of presents for the grandchildren this year.

I usually give them money on their birthdays, but have always given presents at Christmas because it's nice for them to have parcels to open on Christmas Day. However, this year I think the great- nieces and nephews will be getting money because I've decided to make it easier on myself and let them do the shopping for themselves.
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    not got the foggiest what to get for anyone...
    It's all way too money based these days. I'm pretty useless at getting gifts..
    Never know what to get people.

All I want is some tattoo time :grin:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • lupin15
    Well we don't have that problem anymore.
    Hubby and I don't have children and I'm an only child. Hubby is not in touch with his family and hasn't been for 20 years and last Christmas my parents decided to disown us for reasons I am still finding hard to accept :shock:
    I can't get in touch with any of my extended family because they fell out with them all years ago which meant I never had contact with 90% of my family.

So Christmas is as cheap as it can be, just us two and the dogs.

Like the cheap bit the rest is soooo sad. :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:
  • cebeem
    cebeem Bots Posts: 472
    Sadly my mum in law died recently (sorry to put a dampner on it .... cos I love Christmas)....we went into the back bedroom and every present from every member of the family had bought her
    for the past five or six years was there ....gift wrap opened but present untouched...even gift vouchers!

So think carefully!

On a lighter note my daughter and son 26 & 31 will never have enough of anything at the moment so..big picnic hampers with lots of stuff in for them.

c...x
  • cebeem
    cebeem Bots Posts: 472
    P.S. yorkshirelass ...come to ours for Christmas... the more the merrier . would love to make someone else welcome and happy.
    My brother has treated me the same way..
    c..x
  • YorkshireLass
    YorkshireLass Member Posts: 60
    Lupin..............Sad but true, but it's as they say, you can't choose your family :shock:

Cebeem............Thanks for your lovely offer, that's very kind :smile: and sorry to hear you have the same problems, it's hard to understand isn't it??

YL
  • lupin15
    Ahhh food hampers i do that for my eldest ....i look hi and low for different stuff and put it it from herbs and spices to stuff from abroad like peanut butter and jam....(Kids loved it as kids and we use to by it from the PX). My daughter will have moved so she will also be getting a goody basket...now all i have to do is try and find cheapish baskets..