Is this possible????miracle cure..

traluvie
traluvie Member Posts: 2,579
edited 1. Oct 2011, 15:35 in Living with Arthritis archive
I just had a message off an old school friend of mine as she heard i not too good..Sent me a long message talking about going yoga and trying acupunture..I really appreciated her concern and was nice of her to write, Here are a few passages of the message!! Is this really possible???

one of my yoga instructors is an avid runner and she was told a few years back her arthritis of her spine would mean she can never run again - that was when she took up yoga and now she teaches it and can bend in all angles! gone is the arthritis, she had it bad in her spine.

i swear by acupuncture and yoga. my sister also developed arthritis and sciatica, i talked her into acupuncture sessions and she is all healed now by the grace of God :)

Don't get me wrong i really appreciate her concern but i never knew that arthritis could just disappear???
th_tn_TisFORTIGGER.jpgxxTracyxx

Comments

• jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Been waiting for mine to disappear for 31 years but no joy as yet ! Not a doctor , but I was always taught that there is no cure only occasional remission . Still we can continue to hope . Jillyb
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Sorry to sound so negative, Traluvie, but it can't. Disappear, that is. It can go into remission, sometimes for long periods. It can do this whether you try acupuncture, yoga, pilates or sweet you-know-what. I had periods - sometimes the odd year - of remission in my much younger days. Sometimes people attribute this to whatever they were trying out at the time - strange diets, strange exercise regimes, strange faith healers.

I'm sure your friend is sincere in what she believes. Personally, I believe either she didn't get a proper diagnosis in the first place or she's in remission.

I'm quite sure yoga and acupuncture, with fully qualified practitioners, will do no harm at all and may well do quite a lot of good. (The AC booklet on Exercise mentions them as possibilities.) But they only help you to live with it. They don't cure it.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • traluvie
    Exactly what i thought ladies..
    One of them situations when someone says they have arthritis but really doesn't????
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Tracy,

She would have meant well and also one of the arthritis's can go... its an inflammatory one but I can't think hat its called just it can go.....

Not ones I got but also acupuncture really can help with sciatica and just maybe she only had a slipped disc :lol: Cris x
  • traluvie
    Sticky...Yoga you must be joking i did yoga drunk last wk(not intentionally) and got stuck so i got no hope sober lol...

Cris...i know the arthritis your on about it is brought on by a virus and can clear up in around 6 months, i forgot what it is called too lol..x
  • skezier
    Hey Tracy maybe thats what it was :wink: Can't stop off to get the above cure :lol::lol: oh flower i so wish :lol: Cris x
  • traluvie
    Cris so do i..A course of acupunture and some yoga and we'll all be arthris free..yippee... :lol: Would be so nice if it worked like that..x
  • skezier
    Tracy what we got to lose :lol::lol::lol: Cris x
  • scozzie
    scozzie Member Posts: 333
    From my experience of pilates (and probably yoga too) the exercise regime works on your small core muscles and therefore relieves the symptoms in the friends back by adding much needed stability and strength. I used pilates many years ago when I had sciatica, and it helped me no end! So I would thoroughly recommend it! Go for it. All the best.
    Scozzie
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    traluvie I am really pleased for your friend but do find it hard to believe :???:

I was told that we channge our blood in our body, (not sure if its supposed to be every 7 years) and so with new blood the ra could possibly go :lol: after 23 years it is still here....perhaps its just I make bad blood :lol: (or it was a lie to give me hope :eek: )

I think you should try yoga (if you can) and accupuncture it may help with mobility and feel more flexible. There is nothing to lose. Then you can report back with your results. :grin:

Take care
    Juliepf x
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    any exercise is good for helping with arther and if it could cure we would all be down the gym with doctors notes just think of the saving on the nhs no more meds to give out just a course at the gym before arther reared his head was walking miles going to keep fit at least once a week now getting up some days to much i wish it worked but exercise strenthens muscles to suport joints so never give it up even if only stretching exercises done through out the day good luck val
    val
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi Tracy
    I was always told there is no cure for arthritis....especially for OA which is called wear and tear. There are loads of things that could probbly ease it and if we can find something.....be it glucosamine or acupuncture.... great
    Anything that eases it is good.
    Different things for different people {like we always say about medication :roll: }
    I had acupuncture on the NHS and it did ease it in between sessions but by the time the next session was due I was really sore again. I would have been happy to keep on doing this {On NHS :wink: } because it did give me a little bit of relief but after 2 courses of 6 weeks each they said they couldnt keep on doing it....not enough improvement :sad:
    All I can say is if someone finds something that helps and eases it go ahead but there isnt a cure.....we all look for the miracle cure when we fist get it :lol: Like drinking cider vinegar and honey etc

Love
    Hileena
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    I agree with scozzie on this one some things can help a bit, but a cure???

Dinna think so Trace :wink:

Love

Toni xx
  • nanasue
    nanasue Member Posts: 465
    I just thought I'd add my experiences on this. I used to do yoga before and when first diagnosed, it helped me to keep more supple and because the class was for older people it wasn't too intense, I only stopped because yoga tteacher retired and I couldn't find another class I liked. I've had acupuncture which did nothing for me but I do see an osteopath every couple of months (can't afford more) which really helps me, why can't it be on NHS? I've also been going to zumba since March when I'm able, it's good fun, social and my class is for over 50's so not as intense as the younger ones do and you can always sit out if it gets too much, no one minds and it only lasts 30 minutes. As others have said there's no cure just ways of helping to deal with it and maybe ease the pain. I've got to agree, although your friend meant well, I think she got it wrong, they either didn't have arthritis or were fortunate enough to be in a long remission, my longest was 15 months and that was a couple of years after being diagnosed, now I'm lucky to get 3 or 4 months between flares. We justhave to find what works for us individually as we're all different.

Sue x
  • traluvie
    I've done yoga before. I got no chance of being able to do it now lol. . . Acupuncture not tried, if I had the money I would give it a shot and see how I got on with it, but certainly not expecting a miracle cure lol. . As others had said if it was so effective then we'd all be doing it. . .