wheelchair ordered

bertyboy
bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
edited 2. Oct 2011, 19:59 in Living with Arthritis archive
well i dont know if i have done the right thing or not but have ordered a wheely this afternoon it will be usefull in the fact that i can get a little further than just one shop , also in the winter when its frosty my legs go in different directions , my other knee is not getting any better and will need a tkr at some point but if i can avoid that at any cost i will please tell me i am not being stupid :oops:
I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Oh Berty..you are not stupid...well if you are I am..I have put my first THR off for two years...wish I hadnt but there you go...has for the wheelchair...I am really ready to get one....no Im not.. yes I am...you know how it goes... :roll:
    Like you say you do get sick of the short walks....we are going abroad in two weeks...and I am going to hire a scooter....OMG I cant drive for buttons...so can you imagine it..
    Wishing you well with everything..and lots of hugs coming your way..(((()))
    Love
    Barbara
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Hi berty I think you have done the right thing if it is going to make life easier for you.
    Sit back and enjoy the ride :wink:

Besides, with a wheelchair if you feel like a little walk, you can get out and push it. :smile:

I have both wheelchairs and scooter and it really does make shopping,walking,and holidays much more fun. :grin:

Juliepf x

Barbara......sending you some L plates :lol: have a lovely holiday :grin:
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Definitely the right decision , my life has improved 100% since we got my wheelchair . I'm now included in family life again instead of being on the sidelines . I'm back to going out for meals , theatre , concerts , cinema ; in fact all the things I'd had to miss out on as I couldn't walk . Go for it and enjoy the new found freedom it brings you . Jillyb
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    No stupid, just sensible. It will open up all sorts of things you'd given up on. We go for 'wheelchair walks'. Not quite - as Mr SW puts it - I ride and he walks, butI walk a bit, ride a bit etc etc and canal paths, cycle tracks, disused railway lines are all brilliant. Then you go for the pub lunch at the end. You'll wonder why you waited so long.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Berty,

I think thats a really good idea flower and will be so helpful while Ned is recovering. When will it arrive? We can come up for the test run and how about eh real Berty pulling it... haz said he would help..... ((((( ))))) and a cuppa Cris xx
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi Berty
    Its the best idea....although never hbad a wheelchair except temporarily when I had a smashed ankle.
    I do have a scooter......and it is fantastic....makes all the difference.
    I felt the same as you.....will I wont I no I'm not going to....but it was my daughter that nagged me into it. Said "Mam you are not giving in.....it is a coping mechanism" You will be able to so much more.....Talk about role reversal :lol::lol::lol: but she was right.

Love
    Hileena
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    I agree with SW you are being sensible. Just knowing the wheelchair is there will help you immensely. There is no need for you to use it all the time, just whenever you wish and the pub lunches sound an excellent idea. :lol:

Hugs
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    V Sensible decision there berty

The silly thing to do would be nothing because you will go out less and less and ultimatley that is not a good idea....or worse still....fall over :shock:

Love

Toni xx
  • bertyboy
    bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
    i just love you all for your reasuring and such kind words , i know its not such a big deal , but was feeling as if i was addmitting defeat and giving in to Arther but now i see it as beating him at his own game xx
    I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Hi Berty :grin:

It's definitely a sensible move getting a wheelchair!....as you'll be able to get out and about more.... without putting too much strain on Ned and other joints. :wink:

Nor does it mean that you'll become wheelchair dependent..... far from it!
    as Hileena said.. it's a coping mechanism to be used when you need it. .

It has to be better than the alternative... staying at home because of pain and immobility. :wink:

Being in a wheelchair can bring unexpected and happy experiences....my youngest grandchild 'hitches a lift' when we're out in busy shopping centres, and my older grandchildren love pushing it! :grin:

Iris xxx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Let's know how you get on with it, Bertyboy. I still have a love/hate relationship with mine. Refuse it whenever possible but love it for taking me out into the countryside - and when queuing in airports.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,899
    Hi Berty
    of cause you are doing the right thing you dont want to stay in and wish you could go out.
    i have a wheelchair and a scoota i would not be able to take my dog for a good walk without the scoota.
    you go out and enjoy yourself.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    You have done exactly the right thing, bertyboy. It cannot be easy and yes, it must seem like a defeat but it isn't. (Yes, it isn't but it is and all at the same time.) It's a wise and sensible move, it will ensure your safety and help you to do more - there's nowt wrong with that. It's a sensible move to help your recovery. Good luck with it, and if you manage to do a corner on two wheels (preferably two on the same side) you MUST let us know! (()) DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • vonski
    vonski Member Posts: 1,292
    Hi Berty
    Not a daft idea at all, you could use it all the time or save it for shopping and long trips it will save you some pain. They can be fun :smile: Please let us know how you get on.
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Hi Berty,

I agree it will help you especially this winter, plus as you say it will save your other knee and that will be one in the eye for Arthur!

Lv, I x