Newbie: My story

Lena
Lena Member Posts: 5
Hi I am glad I found this place it looks very helpful.

I was diagnosed with OA of the neck and spine in 2007 and I have pretty much managed to keep working apart from one month of due to stress.

However the OA is getting worse and though I told my manger in '07 of my diagnoses I pretty much carried on as normal. That manager is now left and I've had to inform my new manager and Area Manger that I require a more suitable working week. I am a supervisor in a shop, which includes packing out (hard on the hands) cold store/walk in freezer duties (kills me with pain after as the cold just makes me ache top to toe as most of you can imagine). Heavy lifting, stretching, on feet all day. I've asked for shorter shifts, with weekends off, and most shifts being late afternoon to 10pm closing 4 or 5 days a week.

The area Manager wants to talk to me along with our HR officer on Wednesday re: the weekends off and late start. I'm not sure what he wants or what the outcome will be but will keep you posted. I have young kids (13 and 15) and if I am strating work during the week at 4pm and not home til 10.30pm I am hoping he will give me weekends off. As it is I work most weekends bar one off every few weeks and also my shifts are all over the place.
Wish me luck? :???:
Lena XXX

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Lena

I am sorry to read your story. Welcome to the forum. It must be very difficult for you, working in the line that you do, when you are in pain and so on.

I truly wish you all the best for Wednesday. Do let us know how you go on.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • Lena
    Thanks for your kind wishes Elna.

I honestly have no idea how the meeting will go, if I will get the shifts I need or if I will be told it's not possible kind of thing. It's a small company and family run, but the area manager is known as a bit of a hard ****.

*crosses fingers*
  • liesa
    liesa Member Posts: 821
    Hi Lena
    hope it gets sorted for you, will be thinking of you Good luck xxx
    love and hugs
    8997C823B17A6252CBCA252F4BF2932D.png
  • traluvie
    traluvie Member Posts: 2,579
    Hi Lena..

Got alot going on with work and that i see..Do you have a union rep or occupational health that you can talk too, they can support you to ensure that someone is listening to you and try to help where necessary..If not you can ring citizens advice see if they can be of assistance..
    Wish you luck and let us know how you get on..
    th_tn_TisFORTIGGER.jpgxxTracyxx
  • BLEUGIRL
    BLEUGIRL Member Posts: 38
    hi lena
    i really feel 4 u im a newbie on here aswell, see how the meetin goes on wed & let us know :| surely they got to help u :?:
    keep in touch
    bleugirl :smile:
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Hi Lena

Mmmmmm - so the area manager is not renowned to be someone who may well wish to do his best to accomodate you with your shifts. Oh dear. Perhaps you may be happily surprised? I do hope so.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • Lena
    I'm hoping so too, Elna. We have no union or such, just a Human Resources rep, and she is sitting in on the meeting, so I guess that is something.

I'm beginning to get really nervous as the day approaches. I've read some of the experiences of others on the board and I am finding it hard to be hopefull. :???:
  • traluvie
    traluvie Member Posts: 2,579
    Lena wrote:
    I'm hoping so too, Elna. We have no union or such, just a Human Resources rep, and she is sitting in on the meeting, so I guess that is something.

I'm beginning to get really nervous as the day approaches. I've read some of the experiences of others on the board and I am finding it hard to be hopefull. :???:

This site tells you of your rights in the workplace.. i have rung them before, very helpful and you can remain anominous if need be too..

Don't be put off by what you read.. not everyones experience is bad..

Thinking of you.x
    th_tn_TisFORTIGGER.jpgxxTracyxx
  • Lena
    Well i had the meeting with the area manager and I must say it went even better than I hoped. He told me working evening shifts was heavy work and though it wouldn't suit the shop in terms of the management team, he was more worried about it being hard on me.

What he has suggested was that to be able to work a regular shift I would be better taking a step back from supervising and instead become customer advisor 1pm to 6pm. It means a slight cut in pay (20p per hour) but less hours, less stress and less heavy lifting. The funny thing is, a couple of years ago I asked to do that shift but it wasn't an option at the time. He seemed really worried about my health and took my problems seriously, and basically reminded me that my health and family life was more important than any job.

I must say I am delighted. :mrgreen: I was nervous for nothing, basically. Even the Human Resourses girl was so nice and really worried that I was missing meds to be able to do a shift as they made me drowsy.

So thanks for the support, guys. I'll keep you updated on things.

Lena
  • CJHunter
    CJHunter Member Posts: 1,038
    Hi, hope meeting goes well.

Have they talked about an OT assesment? and have you looked at dwp 'access to work to work' and got them involved??

Remember disability discrimination at work too.

Hope you find this helpfull

Best wishes
    Clare
    Clare xxeyeore-1.jpg