Advise on making changes!!

Decky
Decky Member Posts: 65
edited 24. Oct 2011, 12:16 in Young people's community
HI!!!!
Does every workplace have an Occupational health service?

(my next question might sound silly but ive got to ask because once i enter the room i dont want them looking at me as if i have't got a clue)

What questions do i start off asking?
Are will they be the people asking me the questions?
My mum thinks i should at least start thinking of trying to go part time. You think this is a good thing?

Because i dont want to stop working even tho its getting hard!

Could i lose my job for not telling them i had RA when i 1st started about 8 years ago? (my RA only becoming harder to work with now)

I've heard the Union in work isnt that good. But i might have to give them a chance.

Thanks for reading i know i go on abit but i just want a fair idea what im up against if i was to try go part time.....
Im on a waiting list to see Doctor an get injections in joints.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Decky,

Welcome to the forum. I'm afraid you've had a long wait for an answer. Young people don't tend to hang around here as much as us old fogies - they often have far more interesting things to do.

However, as no-one young has dropped by yet, and as you're question would apply to anyone who is working, why not post it again on the Living With Arthritis forum? Or Working Matters? LWA has a lot of people dropping in, many of whom are working and could probably give you a better answer.

I hope you can get some help.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • traluvie
    traluvie Member Posts: 2,579
    Hi Decky..

Most large companies have an occupational health, but not all..You can find out through your employer..Also you can ring them yourselves to make an appointment to discuss your situation..If you are struggling with work then it may be best to talk it through with doctor and work see if between you can find something that suits you..
    Occy health just ask how you are and if you have any concerns, bit like a doctors questions..good oppurtunity to discuss your concerns..
    When is your appointment?
    th_tn_TisFORTIGGER.jpgxxTracyxx
  • Decky
    Hi thanks!!
    I've to see a member of the union next week......
    And I got the letter from my doctor for my injections its in november....
    You's ever had the injections? Sore? im getting them in my knees ans shoulders :cry:
  • stickywicket
    I've had my knees injected a few times, Decky. I never found it very painful but some do. Best advice - relax them as much as possible. Oh and you have to really rest them for 48 hours afterwards. Good luck.
    Steven Wright
  • Decky
    I've booked 2 days of work so i can rest, Just heard earlier my uncle got the injections afew times and he didnt feel much difference. Did you feel any better?
    dreading it :shock:
  • stickywicket
    I felt much better, Decky, though it has to be said not everyone does and I believe the more you have the less they tend to work.

I hope you get a lot of relief.
    Steven Wright
  • Decky
    Hi

i've spoke to my Union about having RA and i explained that i cant remember if i told my employer about it when i first started because it wasnt giving me any trouble back then....

They said am i looking to change anything.
    I said no not at this stage.
    That i just wanted the company know for the future.

They told me that telling them is the right thing to do.

Tho in the passed he said some people havnt told the company about there health problem.
    Then they come in saying they need changes. But the company hasnt been told so they have been shown the door..

But in my case im telling them i have a RA and not demanding any changes as of yet.

I also told him that i had RA when i was 14 but went away before applying for the job and that its just coming back now he said not to metion that i had it just to say that progressing...
    So i went to see the manager and they have let the health dotor know so its just a waiting game now!! THANKS FOR READING