Feeling of tightness in knuckle

MrG
MrG Member Posts: 5
Hi
I have a question about something which has been really concerning me recently.
I am 33 and a musician (piano mainly), and recently I have noticed a feeling of tightness in the middle finger of my left hand. It is very fleeting and only lasts for seconds, and there is no pain whatsoever. It feels like someone has grabbed the knuckle briefly. It happens sometimes when I play, and sometimes during day to day stuff, or if I pick something up or grab something. Ive noticed it on and off for a couple of years but I'm starting to get concerned about it now.
Does this sound like a symptom of arthritis, or something else? Maybe muscular?

I've had tests for arthritis on the past but the tests came back negative. This was because I have a grating sensation between all my joints.

I get really paranoid about not being able to play anymore, and would really appreciate some advice on this.

Thanks

Mark

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Mark

Thanks for your posting.

The feeling of tightness you experience could be caused by a number of things. A strained ligament, tendon or if related to osteoarthritis, you may have some worn cartilage in the joint.

You can ask your doctor to have an x-ray or MRI scan done of the joint and also ask for a referral to a physiotherapist. A physiotherapist may be able to diagnose what is happening within the joint and offer treatment like massage, ultrasound and exercises to strengthen the finger.

You are welcome to ring our helplines if you would like to have a chat about your current situation (open from Monday to Friday from 10am to 4pm).

Regards

Nick
    Helplines Team
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Hi Mark

I am a forum member and after having read your thread wondered if you may pehaps have trigger finger. You can easily google it, to see what you think. I have had trigger thumbs and a 15 minute op sorted both thumbs (on separate occasions), out for me. You can have a steroid injection into the finger/thumb. I had them but that did not work for long, hence the surgery.

One of my fingers is starting with it but at the moment it happens few and far inbetween and is not particularly bothering me as yet.

Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • MrG
    Hi, thanks for the quick replies. I will make an appointment and get it checked out. I'll also research trigger finger, it's not something I've come across before.

Thanks again

Mark
  • MrG
    Hi, I've looked up Trigger Finger and I don't really have the locking finger symptom, which makes me think it's something else. I think it may be ligament related. It's so irregular that it's difficult to describe to people exactly what it is. Just strange that it's just in the one finger. I have tried resting the finger but it still seems to happen.

Thanks,
    Mark
  • MrG
    Hello again,

Well it's been a year since my first post and it seems like the issue is starting up again. Exactly the same problem, feels like someone 'grabbing' the knuckle. No pain at all, and I haven't had any problems over the last year with it. Maybe it's linked to the weather getting colder? Seems to be, as the temperature has dropped considerably here recently.

This has been happening on and off for a while now, doesn't seem to be getting worse, and as I say there is no pain whatsoever. Really doesn't feel like arthritis. Just wondering if anyone has any more ideas what it could be, as it is worrying being a musician

Thanks

Mark