Mad world and the mother goose.

mellman01
mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
edited 30. Oct 2011, 22:24 in Community Chit-chat archive
When is a drug not a drug?, |I'll tell you when most people use it for pleasure that's when!.
A good example is Amy Winehouse, here's a girl who did loads of illeagal drugs but in the end alcohol killed here and not all the smack crack or anything else that she snorted smoked or ingested, but still even today you arn't a drug addicted if your hooked on it oh no that's far to horrible a term for for it.
I wish they would just say illegal and leagal drugs rather than drugs and alcohol.
The grim reaper doesn't care how you clock out your goning to die from an adiction to a drug who cares if it's legal or not when your 6 feet under who gives two hoots call it what it is a drug and stop using stupid words to make it seem less harmful than it really is and to defend it's consumption by a majority simply as it's the only legal drug were allowed, we even have armies of people who go snob on it and waffle on about it tasting of bizare flavours to make them seem more "hip" than those poor b*****ds coverd in p**s who live in the local park out of their heads on supermarket smack.
Most people can handle it but for those that can't it's just another monkey for their backs so call it what it is a dangerous drug but one you can have in your home.
It's like violence, Blair can send a jet plane to drop a bombs on innocent people but that's OK as he's the Prime Minister but if you want to club a guy whose broken into your house and has a knife you'll get done if you so much as pick up a weapon to defend yourself, and for god sake don't kill him or you'll get life but Blair gets a job from the UN as a peace envoy WOW!, a few months ago he was cuddling Gadffi then something went pear shaped and Dave set the dogs on him and just after we let out the Lockerby bomber as dear old rubber face was our best mate again, one minute he was being "rehabilitated" by the west then the next thing he was bombed stabbed gooses and generally stuffed like a live turkey before being shot by a rabble of mad max types near a drainage ditch all high on God and khat, I didn't like the old git but you do have to question what mindset the new lot have go when they do this in front of the world press!, then air it but seeming he's got blood on his hands (and oil) it's ok, if that's the case then what about Blair then or Cameron then after all murder is murder it's the same thing in the end but one is ok the other isn't, an who says poilitics doesn't do humour!.

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Alcohol Mell???

Killed my stepdaughter's Mum at the age of 29 :roll:

Just 'socially acceptable' l suppose :???:

Love

Toni xx
  • mellman01
    Yeah it's a drug of choice in my family took me gran and granddad didn't do me farther any good either, I must say I have bouts of liking it then not, but luckily I've got a low tolerance of it so it takes very little to get me p***d 3 pints and that's me done for but it is a habit I could or might kill off sooner or later!, I still like it but feeling myself being drawn to knocking it all on the head as it's all getting a bit boring these days, maybe I'm just turning into an old f***t?.
  • Poppyg1rl
    Poppyg1rl Member Posts: 1,245
    My mum is a severe alcoholic, only in the last 10 years since my youngest sister left home to get married and suddenly she was in the house alone while dad was out at work. My dad is no better, he goes to the local Irish club every evening, but he doesn't think he has a problem because he doesn't drink at home :roll:
    I can't phone my mum after 4pm, if I do she slurs her words, is aggressive and offensive and has no recollection of the call the next day.
    3 years ago she suffered 2 slipped discs while falling down in a drunken state, she was in lots of pain for 6 months, bed ridden and unable to drink.
    I know this sounds awful...but for me and my siblings when we visited her daily and sat chatting it was wonderful, we had our lovely mum back.
    Needless to say as soon as she recovered enough to get up and go downstairs she resumed her drinking a bottle of bells a day.
    Alcoholism is an illness, it's a disease that is socially acceptable.
    Thankyou Mel for starting this thread, I'm crying, because I've never talked about mums problems to any outsiders and it feel like typing this out is a release.
    'grá agus solas'
    'Love and Light' translated from Irish. X
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Somehow people confuse addiction with glamour when it is anything but. The adverts for alcohol show bright young things living the dream, they don't show the scarecely coping functioning alky, or the totally terrified non-functioning one. Would that stop anyone becoming an alcoholic? I doubt it.

DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Poppyg1rl wrote:
    My mum is a severe alcoholic, only in the last 10 years since my youngest sister left home to get married and suddenly she was in the house alone while dad was out at work. My dad is no better, he goes to the local Irish club every evening, but he doesn't think he has a problem because he doesn't drink at home :roll:
    I can't phone my mum after 4pm, if I do she slurs her words, is aggressive and offensive and has no recollection of the call the next day.
    3 years ago she suffered 2 slipped discs while falling down in a drunken state, she was in lots of pain for 6 months, bed ridden and unable to drink.
    I know this sounds awful...but for me and my siblings when we visited her daily and sat chatting it was wonderful, we had our lovely mum back.
    Needless to say as soon as she recovered enough to get up and go downstairs she resumed her drinking a bottle of bells a day.
    Alcoholism is an illness, it's a disease that is socially acceptable.
    Thankyou Mel for starting this thread, I'm crying, because I've never talked about mums problems to any outsiders and it feel like typing this out is a release.

Poppy, I felt very moved on reading your post. I'm so sorry that your Mum is so addicted to alcohol. It must be a constant worry for you and your siblings. It doesn't sound as though your Dad is in a position to help your Mum to break her addiction either.

Have you considered contacting an organisation called Al-Anon, which offers support to relatives of alcoholic people :?: They have a help-line which could be useful for you. Here's a link to their website:

http://www.al-anonuk.org.uk/

It was very brave of you to discuss your Mum's illness on here, and I hope that you can find some help and support.

Joan
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • Poppyg1rl
    Poppyg1rl Member Posts: 1,245
    Thankyou Joan, it did help to get it out. I adore my mum, she's the kindest, loveliest mum when she's sober, but its so sad to think I can't even let my sons sleepover, I could when they were small her drinking wasn't so bad, but now at their ages 13,15,17 im ashamed as they would see their Grandma for what she is...a drunk. I will give the organisation you mentioned a ring, maybe next week, I'm a bit low as im ill with a post op infection, on abtibiotics, and probably not in the best place anyway.
    Thankyou Joan, it has helped me so much, although its made me very sad. X
    'grá agus solas'
    'Love and Light' translated from Irish. X
  • joanlawson
    Hi Poppy

I'm sorry to hear that you are struggling with a post-op infection on top of everything else. I do hope that you will ring Al-Anon because they are experts in the field of alcoholism, so I'm sure they will offer support for all your family. It's often the case that the families suffer a great deal watching the person they love in the grip of addiction.

Take care, and I hope that you will soon feel better once the antibiotics have done their work.

th_get_well_soon_purple_flower.jpg
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    do people give up eating to afford to buy drink it so expensive can not think of any other way they can afford to keep drinking.
    if it not alcohol or drugs it could be exercise or chocolate an addictive personality can be affected by all sorts of things and most taken to extremes can lead to health problems or death val
    val
  • cebeem
    cebeem Bots Posts: 472
    Poppy I too found your post very moving. In such a few few words you expressed so much giving some insight into the effects these things have on families.
    I hope you found some comfort in Joans very sensitive response. Wishing you well soon.

c
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Oh Mell you are spot on has usual....and Poppy im so sorry to read your post...it certainly doesn't make them bad people because they drink to much, like you say your mum is so sweet....but drink brinks in to much tax for the government to do anything about it..
    Love
    Barbara
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    I've lost two Uncles from booze, another is well on his way, already been told his liver is beyond the point of repairing itself and his brain had shrunk, he's got throat cancer from it too, but he won't stop cos he doesn't want to.. His sister is not fat behind him. These are all my strip dad's brothers and sisters, their dad died of it before he was forty. And yet my dad who's had two heart attacks still binge drinks very heavily..
    I guesss it's ok though, deserting as the government make money from it, same with the cigs..
    Ridiculous.. Yet nobody has died from using cannabis, not using it safely anyway, and yes, it can be used safely.. Without harmful effects.
    Sorry, ranted..
    Hey, Mell... It wasn't US that let the lockerbie murderer free.. It was the Scots.

Right..
    Enough said.
    :grin:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • valval
    delboy wrote:
    My brother in law (Now deceased) ruined his and my sisters life through addiction to alcohol and it didn't help with their adopted family of First Nation kids who had Fetal alcohol syndrome (FAS).

A lot of towns in Alaska ban alcohol because of a genetic predisposition to alcoholism so it's not always easy to give the dreaded liquor up.

I was almost on the slippery slope of alcohol addiction following the break up of my first marriage but still retained enough brain cells to recognise where I was going fortunately.

well done it can only come from your self no one can make you give up would have been awful never to have met you on here you help a lot val
    val
  • mellman01
    It's a long way from the snazzy adverts you see of beautiful woman and hunks driving around in fast cars isn't it, just goes to show how powerful adverts can be, they should ban them like they did **** another nasty pointless drug.
    I am like you Del I still drink but the minds not happy with what's going on, I love a drink but it seems it's running me right now which is odd as I've always been on top of it, 3 and a half years of work stress haven't helped but it's got to be put back in the bottle sooner rather than later or it will lead me down the same road my dad and grand parents did.
    Odd thing is I don't have an " I've had an enough switch" these days, I use to have I don't seem to get really messed up just merry but normally wake up like I've been hit with a bat, God when I was young parties were great things go get hammered go home up next day all chipper now it's totally the opposite!, also I can't and don't drink in the day as it really messes my head up it has a totally different effect so I just don't do it, if you watch east enders they seem to live in a pub day or night no wonder their all grim and violent on there.
  • valval
    if i drink in day i fall asleep.
    do not drink much at all but when do takes so much longer to recover now i 50 lol
    val
  • mellman01
    Thank God it's not just me Val!, same as you takes longer to get over it but it's day drinking I am totally intolerant to, when I worked at Harwell they had 3 bars on or near site and owned by site many of the bosses use to go off at 12 then return around 2 and you knew they were going to be all over the place and they were, they use to be hard work after mid day loads of silly ideas and short tempered as hell a bit like the numpties in east enders!.
  • joanlawson
    The BMA estimates one in 15 medics have a problem with drugs or alcohol at some point in their life-time. Doctors are known to be at least three times as likely to have cirrhosis of the liver - a sign of alcohol damage - than the rest of the population.
    This is second only to publicans and bar staff.

Makes you think, doesn't it :?: