Hearing loss-how many of you suffer with this?

spondy
spondy Member Posts: 28
edited 1. Nov 2011, 09:46 in Living with Arthritis archive
I've heard that this can be connected to arthritis but wanted to hear real life exeriences.

Many thanks.

Comments

• jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    PARDON ? ! I have RA and along with a dash of tinnitis , I find that my hearing is getting worse but could just be because I'm getting older . Jillyb
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hearing loss is slowly happening to me but I am sure that is because I am getting older. Mind you, there are three very small bones in the inner ear, aren't there, so why wouldn't they be affected by some form of arthritis? Not all aging problems/difficulties can be laid at arthritis' door though it is very tempting at times. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • spondy
    Thanks for the replies.

Anyone with arthritis and hearing probs which isn't age related?

I've got my first rhuematology appointment in Dec, which in total I will have waited 9 weeks for from referal (my origional concerns go back to June).

I think I may have ankylosing spondylitis. Hoping to have an x-ray/scan. Think it is connected (not sure) the tinnitus I have which was roaring with my stiff/sore neck and headache the other day. Also I really feel that my hearing has suffered since my probs too. Just wondering if I should seek help about my hearing or if you think it is connected?
  • tonesp
    tonesp Member Posts: 844
    I was concerned about my hearing a couple of weeks ago But a course of ear drops and a syringing has made a world of difference
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    had lots of trouble with ears before going on meds lots of pain and swelling heat but have sinus trouble so always put it down to this (allergies) so could be arther related as much better since meds kicked in but have never asked have you looked at info on here see if it says anything ??
    val
  • dreamdaisy
    How old are you, spondy? I am 52, began arthritis at 37 and of course my hearing has altered in the past 15 years. I have also aquired tinnitus along the way thanks to the regular intake of sulphasalazine. DD
  • spondy
    tonesp-the doc had a look at my ears before my probs started with joints and he said that they were clear and didn't need syringing. I actually had them looked at by two different docs over time.

Dreamdaisy-I am 34. What form have you got? :grin:
  • dreamdaisy
    I think I answered that. 52, creaking and listening to drug-induced tinnitus! :smile:
  • mouseymousey
    mouseymousey Member Posts: 283
    I'm 51. I was told a few years ago I had lost some hearing in both ears as a result of long term painkiller use, I cant remember the figure but around 40% loss. (I also have tinnitus). I have been given 2 hearing aids.
  • spondy
    Dreamdaisy-I meant what form of arthritis do you have?

Mouseymousey-I havn't been taking anything long term, not even been diagnosed yet. Was wondering if anyone suffered with hearing loss purely because of arthritis?

Thanks fot the replies. :smile:
  • dreamdaisy
    I realised that at 4am but couldn't be bothered to fire up the computer! I began psoriatic arthritis in 1997, and then discovered in April this year that I have pretty severe OA in both knees (that crept in under the PA radar and has to be as a result of damage). I also think it's affecting my ankles too (another pair of PA afected joints) but the Xrays show that all is well. Dunno why they hurt like the knees then. :roll: In total I have 35 affected joints and currently about 17 of those are very tender and two are swollen. DD
  • traluvie
    traluvie Member Posts: 2,579
    I am partially deaf in both ears..
    This is from when i was younger, have always suffered with ear problems and had ops too to have my bones reconstructed..
    Have been having pain on and off for about a yr , been docs but docs said they can't see no problems, but i know the pain is there lol.. i have been told to mention it to neurologist when i see them the 11th????
    th_tn_TisFORTIGGER.jpgxxTracyxx
  • spondy
    Dreamdaisy, does your psoriatic arthritis affect your spine or neck?
  • dreamdaisy
    The PA is in my toes, ankles, knees, sacro-iliac joints, fingers, wrists, elbows and shoulders. The OA is just the knees and ankles. My neck is stiff but that is entirely due to pain, although I try to hold myself in a relaxed way I inevitably stiffen. I must get back to having regular sports therapy massages for that as it does help. DD
  • spondy
    Dreamdaisy-does your psoriatic athritis affect your spine and neck?
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    I have hearing loss but never connected it to my R.A. I used to get awful earache, blue poison, pain and had to have antibiotics. I had a terrible bout 2 years before getting diagnosed with R.A. but have not had a repeat since.

Elizabeth.
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • dreamdaisy
    No - I hope that is an easier answer to interpret, as on reflection the other was a touch verbose! :smile: My apologies. DD
  • mouseymousey
    mouseymousey Member Posts: 283
    Hello Spondy,
    The hearing loss was caused by arthritis; if I hadn't been taking the medication (for arthritis) I wouldn't have a large part of my hearing. Hope that helps. (one of the little things they don't tell you much about).