Advice/Experiences with joint injections...

Rosycheeks
Rosycheeks Member Posts: 84
edited 12. Nov 2011, 12:09 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hey all :grin:

About 8 weeks ago I had a steriod injection in my 'ahem' behind for my pa. This was fantastic. I almost didnt know myself and its only just beggining to wear off now. The only thing it didnt help and I have no idea why is my left knee which has become increasingly swollen and painful. So today I was offered a steroid injection directly into that knee next week. I have heard some scary storys about the joint injections. Even the rheumy nurse winced :lol:

So anyone here that has had a steroid injection into a joint could you please tell me if it was good or bad? I dont want to make a bad situation worse where my knee is concerned :wink:

Thanks to all :grin:

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Rosy

I have steroid injections into my thumbs and finger joints, my shoulder and knee. I will not pretend that some of the injections were a little painful but when you think about it logically, what is a couple of seconds pain to the probability that the injection will help?

My advice when having injections and I do this for blood tests too, is:-

Never look at what is going on - I shut my eyes and relax
    Inform them politely that you would prefer no running commentary just get on with it

:lol: I have had to be told on occasion that I can open my eyes now it is all over! :lol:

I wish you well with the injection should you decide to go ahead.

Naughty rheumy nurse, wincing. :wink: :roll: :smile:

All the steroid injections that I have had have worked for a time.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • flutterbye
    flutterbye Member Posts: 22
    Yes, I have had steriod injections in my knee and would thoroughly recommend them to anyone in severe pain. Mine lasted about three months before I needed another one....you will know when you need another one, If you can take someone in with you to keep you chatting you might not even feel the sting of the injection, but even if you do it is all over very quickly ....try not to tense up and that will help too.
    Good luck!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I've had a number of them in both knees over the years and frankly won't bother with them again: top result for me was about three days with reduced pain then it was all back to normal. You won't know until you try it - if the depo in your backside was helpful then I reckon you stand a good chance of responding well to the joint injection. They will inject a local and they should give that a chance to work before they do the aspiration (sucking the gunk out) then injecting the steroid. Rest the joint as much as you can for as long as you can - my hospital recommends 48 hours bed rest - that gives the steroid the best chance of really soaking into the joint and working. Good luck and I hope it works! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    Hi, I had an injection into shoulder and hip. It wasn't too painful and it did help. You should rest the affected area for 24hrs after to give it chance to work. I was fortunate it was done 'there and then' so I didnt have time to worry!!!
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    Rosycheeks

It is WORTH a try.

It really is.....my ex MIL swears by them and she gets MONTHS of releif you know. So far not much help to me personally, but they ahve never nmade anything worse and l WOULD have them again.

Love

Toni xx
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    had one in sturnum 2 weeks ago and going for knee next wed it hurt a bit when he did it mainly his pressing to find sore bit but is so much better nearly canceled knee one as was much better but playing up again so glad did not good luck
    the rhummy did say with some people it makes it worse but not heard of any so far good luck val
    val
  • BikerAngel
    BikerAngel Member Posts: 122
    I had the kenalog injection in my buttock the other week at rheumy and this time it has not worked and the last time I got one it only lasted for under 8weeks where as the first one lasted 3 month. My friend gets gold injections and she swears by them into her knees but not had myself but if my xray on ankle comes back it is just a bad flare of RA then I will be asking for one to see if it helps me. Good luck
    Tracey
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Hi,
    I've had a steroid jab into my knee and I have to say they didn't work for me. Unfortunately I wasn't told to rest the joint so went back to work and I think that's why it failed. I've also had hylauronic fluid (Synvisc) injections into the same knee. Once a week for three weeks. After each jab I had to rest the knee as much as possible for 48 hours so I had these done on Fridays. Unfortunately these didn't work either and I ended up with more pain. Worst bit was when they were withdrawing the needles. These may well work for you. I hope it goes really well for you and that you get some relief.
    Good luck, Grace.
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • Rosycheeks
    Thanks everyone for your replies :)

I had the steroid shot in my knee this morning. It was fine. No worse than a blood test really :wink:

All day my knee has felt slightly odd but not painful. However its starting to ache nicely now, but I was warned about this.

So heres hoping that it works :smile:

Thanks again to all you lovely peeps :grin:
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I hope it works too, Rosycheeks. Don't forget to rest it for 48 hours. Good luck!
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • resusjan
    resusjan Member Posts: 290
    I had a couple of injections into my shoulder joint a few years ago - this was before I was diagnosed with RA so they weren't steroid ones - think they were local anaesthetics as they were trying to find out why my shoulders were so painful.

I don't remember much about having them apart from the huge feeling of relief afterwards that something had finally eased the pain. THey can't have been too bad otherwise I'm sure I'd remember. I suppose a lot has got to do with the skill of the person doing it - I think I'd ask them how often they had carried out that particular procedure.

Good luck with it, hope it works

Jan xx
  • CJHunter
    CJHunter Member Posts: 1,038
    Morning, glad went well.
    Have had inj in shoulder, heel and chest wall, found that if you look it hurts less.
    People think im weird but when i had it in my shoulder and i couldnt see it, it hurt more than chest and heel!! :shock:

Rest,rest and more rest. Dont do anything sill even thought it feels fine its not a miracle cure, but as long as you treat it wiv respect it will keep at ease for a while.

Take care.xx
    Clare xxeyeore-1.jpg
  • Rosycheeks
    Well all I can say is oh WOW :grin: The steroid jab in my knee has worked fantastically. About 80% of the pain has gone. I can straighten and bend my knee again. yipee :lol: The only thing I still cant do is squat...but who wants to squat anyway :roll:

So glad I had it done. I dont know how long this will last but I could fast become a steroid junkie if the docs let me :lol:

I hope you are all as well as can be expected.

xxx
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    So glad to hear it worked for you. Try not to overdo it though!!!
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    had mine done this morning resting as told do hope it works, so being very good got strange feeling in foot though mind you knee been causing probs with feet and hip val
    val
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Hi Rosy.. I'm really pleased that the injection had worked. I really hope it continues to do so for some time.. However please remember that your knee hasn't been 'fixed' so don't over do things by being over confident.
    The injections can be wonderful. My first ones were, both knees done at once, lasted just one month but they felt better than they had in many years. Had then done the month after and nothing. Never mind. I think I'll be asking them to try again soon.

Very best of luck :grin:
    Keep us up to date. :grin:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • ritwren
    ritwren Member Posts: 928
    I'm sorry I've only just read your post, I've been off for a bit.
    It's great news that the joint injection has worked for your knee. I have PA too and had my knee injected back in June and it really helped a lot. It's been creeping back again this past 6 weeks or so but well worth having it done. Best of luck. Rita. :smile:
  • Rosycheeks
    :cry: I messed it all up. I did exactly what I shouldnt of done and went into work for overtime on Tuesday, Wednesday and yesterday. My knee now hurts as much as before with the added bonus of the opposite hip hurting too. But it felt so good on Monday and Tuesday. I was me again. And now im back to square one.
    Lesson learnt :oops:

xxx
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    ouch. That's a hard lesson to learn hun. I hope the pain eases soon and the benefits come back..

Best wishes.. :grin:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP